Anti-graft agency to probe 2008 crackdown on Yellowshirts

webfact

Conveniently, no mention about any planned investigation of the yellowshirt terrorists that shutdown the airport.

One country, double standards.

No related deaths during airport closure that I can remember.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not exactly sure of that. I had heard rumors of a murder in the Yellow shirt held portion of the airport. I think it was in the storage area. Long time ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the occasion that the police used explosive Chinese made tear gas grenades which they fired directly at the protestors from shotguns for a couple of hours, even after they saw the devastating effects. A police investigation into who ordered the lethal tear gas grenades and ordered them to be used on the protestors found that nobody had ordered the grenades and the commander at the site had no idea they were lethal even after he had seen people being shot down with them.

Time for a proper investigation in this disgusting episode.

Any chance of you telling us how many people were killed by these lethal tear gas grenades killed. Also are you sure it was at the airport?

This was the occasion that the police used explosive Chinese made tear gas grenades which they fired directly at the protestors from shotguns for a couple of hours, even after they saw the devastating effects. A police investigation into who ordered the lethal tear gas grenades and ordered them to be used on the protestors found that nobody had ordered the grenades and the commander at the site had no idea they were lethal even after he had seen people being shot down with them.

Any chance of you telling us how many people were killed by these lethal tear gas grenades killed. Also are you sure it was at the airport?

At least one young woman was killed by the exploding tear gas canisters, several others suffered amputated limbs and many more all sort of lesser injuries.

Conveniently, no mention about any planned investigation of the yellowshirt terrorists that shutdown the airport.

correct me if I'm wrong but are people not in jail for this

But hardly the same thing

OK, you're wrong.

People aren't "in jail for this". In fact the case still hasn't been heard yet. The Courts agreed on the 27th May to delay the hearing until December 15th 2014, 6 years after the event.

woopephuckandoo

and what is the case exactly - murder - terrorism - power abuse - theft of 600billion baht - massive corruption

or was it having a protest

you get my point I'm sure - so why even bring it up

now move along

• Like 1

And here begins the end.

The army strategy was to stay kind of neutral.

To definitely take side with the yellow's can only bring unrest.

Since today, it was likely that the army was in favor of the elites now it's obvious and this move is terribly unfair (no need to explain). One day or another the populace will remember.

Please, elites, don't under estimate the people. They don't have money but they have memory.

The NACC is not the Army. Nothing to do with the Army whatso ever

Hey buddy, the Army is everywhere nowadays. When Gen. Prayuth bombarded himself to Chairman of the Board of Investment, wouldn't they be 'in' an institution as the NACC too?

I wouldn't think a government was doing its job very well if it allowed protesters to totally interrupt the government's ability to govern. Freedom to protest, yes, but shutting down government, downtown, airports, international meetings, no.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So why have the NACC waited for 6 years to start proceedings. Seems to me that the "impartial" regime are determined to completely smash one side, without a thought of the possible consequences. Now is the time for reconciliation and to move on, but I guess that is not the Thai way.

So what do you mean by reconciliation and what would it look like?

Not exactly sure of that. I had heard rumors of a murder in the Yellow shirt held portion of the airport. I think it was in the storage area. Long time ago.

Against the PAD or by the PAD?

correct me if I'm wrong but are people not in jail for this

But hardly the same thing

OK, you're wrong.

People aren't "in jail for this". In fact the case still hasn't been heard yet. The Courts agreed on the 27th May to delay the hearing until December 15th 2014, 6 years after the event.

woopephuckandoo

and what is the case exactly - murder - terrorism - power abuse - theft of 600billion baht - massive corruption

or was it having a protest

you get my point I'm sure - so why even bring it up

now move along

So you took being told you were wrong pretty well, then?

Let's see, murder, power abuse, massive corruption?, theft of 600 billion baht? No.

Terrorism - on the button, Yes.

By the way what was your point? You said "Correct me if I'm wrong but are people not in jail for this" - You were, I did. Difficult to find an ambiguity let alone a point in that statement.

• Like 1

I can't see the difference between the idioscrantic manner of how the NACC and the judiciary handle all the political cases and amnesty. The cases are serious but offenders especially the key perpetrators are still free and some even haven't stopped their activities. It is almost an amnesty by default. People are against amnesty saying we should not allow crimes to go unpunished. Well, most of these high profile activists and politicians are free running around and no crime has been punished.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This was the occasion that the police used explosive Chinese made tear gas 
grenades which they fired directly at the protestors from shotguns for a couple 
of hours, even after they saw the devastating effects.  A police 
investigation into who ordered the lethal tear gas grenades and ordered them to 
be used on the protestors found that nobody had ordered the grenades and the 
commander at the site had no idea they were lethal even after he had seen people 
being shot down with them. 

Any chance of you telling us how many people were killed by these lethal tear 
gas grenades killed. Also are you sure it was at the airport?

At least one young woman was killed by the exploding tear gas canisters, 
several others suffered amputated limbs and many more all sort of lesser 
injuries.

Well there was also one killed by the explosives they were caring in there car. Are you sure that the ones you cite were at the airport?

Not exactly sure of that. I had heard rumors of a murder in the Yellow shirt held portion of the airport. I think it was in the storage area. Long time ago.Against the PAD or by the PAD?

by the PAD;b++){var>

I can't see the difference between the idioscrantic manner of how the NACC and the judiciary handle all the political cases and amnesty. The cases are serious but offenders especially the key perpetrators are still free and some even haven't stopped their activities. It is almost an amnesty by default. People are against amnesty saying we should not allow crimes to go unpunished. Well, most of these high profile activists and politicians are free running around and no crime has been punished.

Independent agencies, such as the NACC, can indict. It is up to the appropriate courts to convict. With the appeals process and bail given, it only seems like they are being let off, but Sondhi Lim's recent case shows it isn't always the case.

What is the National Anti-Corruption Commission actually doing?

The National Counter-Corruption Commission of Thailand is responsible for the ethical conduct, financially or otherwise of elected politicians and civil servants. The commission have both powers of investigation and prosecution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_agencies_of_the_Thai_government

It does seem odd but that's a pretty good explanation. It was the NACC that originally looked at the crackdown ordered by Abhisit and decided not to pursue it. I don't know if they gave a reason but it's not hard to guess. It was then that the DSI took it over and decided to treat Abhisit and Suthep as private citizens from what I remember so they could investigate. They both complained about this fact but who knows what's going to happen now.

In this case it would seem the NACC are the ones who should investigate this but why now I've no idea and the same goes for the reasoning behind it. It will be interesting to see the evidence in this case.

Actually I think that PoorSucker is not correct in that the NACC did not have powers of prosecution. For example they investigated YL's mismanagement & negligence over the rice scheme and handed the results over to the AG. There has been some moves to give them that power recently but I'm not sure if it's been promulgated.

The NACC did originally investigate the Somchai incident but apparently it was dropped by the AG (don't know when but sounds like a pro-Thaksin AG).

You're right to question the reasoning behind a 'probe' or reexamination of the case as it has an echo of payback. Doesn't help the 'independence' of the NACC.

Actually I think you're right. they have the power to investigate but not prosecute. I hadn't noticed that.

Independent agencies, such as the NACC, can indict. It is up to the appropriate courts to convict. With the appeals process and bail given, it only seems like they are being let off, but Sondhi Lim's recent case shows it isn't always the case.

I will leave out Sondhi conviction as it is blue collar and not a political crime and happened way before the start of the political crisis. I can only conclude that the political cases are so intertwined with others behind the scene establishment players that ensure there will be no conviction. Even Taksin was given an early warning and he duly stayed away. All said, don't expect any conviction of the principal players but the pawns that were on the streets are those who are convicted and imprisoned. We need amnesty to free them as the principal players already have their amnesty by default.

Aye, the crackdown, and whatabout the <deleted> crackheads who invaded the airport and took it hostage? In any other country in the world deploying tear gas on a mob that was doing this would seem pretty justified

Just noticed the caption said this was outside parliament, but still......

This crackdown was before the yellow shirts blockaded the airport.

• Like 2

Aye, the crackdown, and whatabout the <deleted> crackheads who invaded the airport and took it hostage? In any other country in the world deploying tear gas on a mob that was doing this would seem pretty justified

This crackdown was before the yellow shirts blockaded the airport.

Timelines... specific tactics...personnel involved... agency responsibilities.... there's so much information that has been twisted and is erroneous on this thread, obviously by posters both unfamiliar with the real event and who were not present here at the time.

The Thaksin apologists/history rewriters are very active.

Edited by nicholao
  • Like 1

This is getting worse and worse. A group of mercenaries hired to kill people and to topple an elected government are seen as innocent heroes, while women and children horribly massacred in 2010 worth zero and their assassins walk free.

The corruption in Thailand in these past months have skyrocketed by 10 folds.

Mercenaries hired to kill?? Children?? Massacred?? Assassins?? No.

Exaggeration?? Yes.

As said, another feeble attempt to rewrite history and change reality.

Thank goodness it doesn't was wash with posters who are willing to correct the falsehoods and exaggerations.