Prayuth set to be Thai PM

webfact

THE 29TH THAI PREMIER
Prayuth set to be PM

Junta chief seen by many as only person suited for top post in current situation

BANGKOK: -- THREE MONTHS after the military coup, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) will today vote on who is to become the country's 29th prime minister - a position that junta chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha is widely tipped to fill.

The NLA will today propose Prayuth as the sole candidate for the prime ministership, a source said, adding that he would be voted in unanimously. "We will discuss before the voting session about who will propose Prayuth to the meeting," the source said. "That person must be a senior military officer."

In public surveys over the past months, key members of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), leading professional politicians and a former prime minister have voiced their support for Prayuth, saying he is the only person suited to take up the post in the current political environment.

His NCPO deputies who helped him seize power on May 22 - General Paiboon Kumchaya and Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong - and many other members of the NLA said they would back his premiership.

Prayuth staged the coup when the country was suffering a deep political rift between the previous elected government under Yingluck Shinawatra and the opposition-backed People's Democratic Reform Committee led by Suthep Thaugsuban, who became a monk after the coup.

Prayuth will not join the NLA session today, but will attend a military ceremony at the 21st Infantry Regiment of the Queen's Guard in Chon Buri for commemoration of the regiment's 64th anniversary.

He began his military career in the regiment and used to be the commander of the unit.

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, leader of the Democrat Party, said the May 22 coup was different from the most recent previous coups in 2006 and 1991. The one led by Prayuth was more similar to that of Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat, who served as prime minister after the 1957 coup, he said.

"Both coups have something in common in terms of trying to absolutely control the situation first. So the first phase of this junta's road map is longer when compared with the Suchinda [Kraprayoon] and Sonthi [boonyaratglin] coups," Abhisit told The Nation.

Other coup-makers after Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn, who became prime minister in 1963, did not take the position of PM themselves, but the leader of the latest coup is widely expected to be the next prime minister, he said.

The military coup in May was not welcomed by the international community, notably in Western countries. Abhisit said the international community has its standards on such matters.

"It's difficult to change their minds. But I think tomorrow the NCPO will choose to be achievement-oriented. They will choose [to follow] the path that will make them succeed," he said.

Prayuth, who is scheduled to retire as Army chief at the end of next month, is a blunt but determined person, as well as being conservative, according to Abhisit, who worked with him when he was prime minister.

The Democrat leader said he thought Prayuth was, however, a person who listened to other people and who used several channels to get information before finally making a decision by himself.

Somchai Sawaengkarn, secretary to the NLA whip, said he supported Prayuth to become the next PM.

NCPO deputy chief Paiboon said earlier that Prayuth had been virtually performing as prime minister by running the country without any flaws after leading the military coup in May.

The junta chief's performance has satisfied people, he said.

Air Force chief ACM Prajin, meanwhile, echoed the sentiment, backing Prayuth as the new premier, saying the junta supremo had shown he could run the country competently since the coup.

However, some NCPO officials earlier expressed concern about pressure on the Army chief if he tried to juggle the two key roles as head of the incoming government and the military regime.

Former Asean secretary-general Surin Pitsuwan said that whoever became the next PM must carry out reform in order to achieve national reconciliation. "I hope the new PM will not be obsessed with the position, power and interest of his own associates, otherwise the mission will fail," Surin added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayuth-set-to-be-PM-30241409.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-21

I'll be very surprised if General Prayuth is not selected for prime minister mostly because I can't think of anyone else they could choose.

Someone whom almost nobody outside of military circles has heard of being appointed PM would be quite a shock.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Sneaking trough he back door of a A coup d'état is not a new way to become a PM,

but let the people and the country give his a chance, after all, how bad can he be?

surly he can't do worst than the last PM....

• Like 1

Junta chief seen by many as only person suited for top post in current situation

yeah but how many?

We don't do elections in Thailand anymore, so we will never know... just many is enough

Smart move,make a coup put opposition into prison or banish them and then the people can choose between coup makers,friends of coup makers or the guys who never won an election.Welcome to North Korea one party system

mrmicbkktxl post # 7

Smart move,make a coup put opposition into prison or banish them and then the people can choose between coup makers,friends of coup makers or the guys who never won an election.Welcome to North Korea one party system

Now the truth,

The last plan by others was as follows.

Smart move,make a puppet Prime Minister put the opposition into prison or banish them and then the people cannot differentiate between a puppet Prime Minister or a new dictatorial political family dynasty made up of guys and gals who never won an election.Welcome to a North Korean style one party one ruling political dynasty family system.

The Thai people saw through the plan albeit slowly and people power halted the slide into a new political family dynasty dictatorship.

Works in Singapore

#1 priority - fix the tourism problem. Start with a simplified VISA. Second, do as all other tourist meecas do - allow bars to stay open 24x7x365 (ok a few holidays are ok). What is the problem with either one of these. With the huge amount of money coming in thailand can easily afford better tourist police 'protect and serve' in the bar areas.

I would have thought Monk Suthep would have been the frontrunner , if it weren't for Khun Suthep the military wouldn't have had an excuse to pull a coup, if one remembers correctly , this all started out with the PTP's Amnesty Bill , haven't things changed since then, however one still needs to see real reform with all this blustering going on , I predict reform, only in one area and that will be for the ruling elite to shore up their positions. coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by chainarong

I would have thought Monk Suthep would have been the frontrunner , if it weren't for Khun Suthep the military wouldn't have had an excuse to pull a coup, if one remembers correctly , this all started out with the PTP's Amnesty Bill , haven't things changed since then, however one still needs to see real reform with all this blustering going on , I predict reform, only in one area and that will be for the ruling elite to shore up their positions. coffee1.gifcheesy.gif

"if it weren't for Khun Suthep the military wouldn't have had an excuse to pull a coup"

If it weren't for the backers of Suthep and their money there never would have been the need for the coup.

• Like 1

Sneaking trough he back door of a A coup d'état is not a new way to become a PM,

but let the people and the country give his a chance, after all, how bad can he be?

surly he can't do worst than the last PM....

he can't be worse than the previous or previous or previous or previous.....

The only one we could argue would be Chuan

• Like 1

Oh for <deleted> sake . . . stop being a drama queen . . . this is nothing like North Korea and never will be and is a whole hell of a lot better right now than it was 6 months or even 6 years previously.

His view but note few posts straight in on the scene pre programmed rhetoric. To come in to post on the subject with a view to not be in favour of the army intervention is one thing , but to attack the jugular with this Nth Korea thing ??? have we seen this before on TVF from the splinter group ??

The guy whoever he is and whatever role he had before doe's not matter if he can collectively pull Thailand out of the dung.

red fan boys bitter as usual, ignore the idiots. Prayuth saved us from dear leader Takky, that would have been more north korea than anything happening now. Good luck to the new PM and may he serve his role with honesty, dignity and righteousness. The eyes of all Thais are watching, the red fan boys will take full political advantage of any mistakes, so tread carefully.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

If this guy does Thailand a favour and gets it out the mire, you will use your same tactics---if he fails the same tactics apply ?? with your stance you think you are on a winner ??

If the guy fails I will be a voice to oppose the failure, but will not join your sad ranks, it will be constructive criticism I use not a gang rhetoric.

So Ahbisit support both coups and he is a Democract and leader of the Democrat Party. What a two face and hypocrite. He just don't know when to keep his mouth shut.

He knows he will never win an election in Thailand so supporting the military was the only option for him

So Ahbisit support both coups and he is a Democract and leader of the Democrat Party. What a two face and hypocrite. He just don't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Both ?? out of how many ?? the way the intervention was carried out I think he means ----All coup's are lousy and anti democratic your thinking and some of them I share that view. NOT all.

All of Thaksins governments ended in shame, he ran lousy governments. that's why he was thrown out every time. He is where now ??? could you imagine this Guy Prayuth doing a runner to Dubai. ??

Give us some background about all not your selection.

"if it weren't for Khun Suthep the military wouldn't have had an excuse to pull a coup"

If it weren't for the backers of Suthep and their money there never would have been the need for the coup.

Suthep is technically broke?

• Like 1

I would have thought Monk Suthep would have been the frontrunner , if it weren't for Khun Suthep the military wouldn't have had an excuse to pull a coup, if one remembers correctly , this all started out with the PTP's Amnesty Bill , haven't things changed since then, however one still needs to see real reform with all this blustering going on , I predict reform, only in one area and that will be for the ruling elite to shore up their positions. fault/coffee1.gif[/img]cheesy.gif

Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong may get the gig running the military? But I would think the General will hold both positions as The Chief of Military is the most powerful position in Thailand. Plus he should get two pay cheques?

The general has moved the country along, but needs some media training? Can't send media away for two weeks if they ask questions that irritate him.

When is free speech going to be reintroduced? Opposition needs to be an opposition.

Suthep is technically broke?

No he's one of the "good people" and a wealthy man from Surat Thani province. I believe he and his family made some money and history in the land and property market in Phuket.

He knows he will never win an election in Thailand so supporting the military was the only option for him

Another election----do you think on the record of the last 3 years Yingluck/PTP/Shins would win. ????

Thaksins money and his reds stopped Abhisit, and put PTP in power, but his money could not prevent PTP from falling-disgraced.

You been in Thailand a long time, not many posts Why ?? if you felt so strong about Abhisit why not air your views before on the many occasions he has been the Topic.

Your post is similar -near word for word as the famous few have used before, but it is your view.

• Like 1