Most of the rice tested in government warehouses 'substandard'

Lite Beer

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Most of the rice tested in government warehouses 'substandard'
The Sunday Nation

30241622-01_big.jpg
Panadda

BANGKOK: -- Tests into the quality of rice in state warehouses have revealed "worrying" results with only about one in five found to be of standard quality, according to a document from the Prime Minister's Office.

The inspection found that only 235 rice samples out of 1,339 samples tested from July 7-31 passed the standard quality, said the document distributed on Friday evening.

The rest failed to meet the standard because it was apparent the colour was "wrong", the samples went bad or were damaged by pests, or were mixed with cheaper grains, among other things.

ML Panadda Diskul, permanent secretary at the PM's Office, who chairs the subcommittee inspecting government stocks, said yesterday that the rice-quality inspection had unearthed "worrying" results. With the inspection due to be completed by the end of September, the report would be sent to the National Rice Policy Committee, which would announce the results to the media, he said.

When asked if he was concerned that some of the low-quality rice may end up being exported, Panadda said the authorities would ensure that only good-quality rice would be sold to overseas markets.

"Thai rice has been famous for a long time. I don't think any Thai would consider exporting bad products to foreign countries. We have to make sure that only good-quality Thai rice is exported," he said.

Panadda was asked by reporters if people responsible for the degradation of rice in government stocks would be identified. He said that was the responsibility of another agency, as his panel was only responsible for checking the quantity and quality of rice in government stocks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Most-of-the-rice-tested-in-government-warehouses-s-30241622.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-24

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to make sure that only good-quality Thai rice is exported," he said.

So the sub-standard rice isn't good enough for the rest of the world but presumably will end up being served in Thailand. Not a good picture.

So the sub-standard rice isn't good enough for the rest of the world but presumably will end up being served in Thailand. Not a good picture.

not good quality doesn't mean it is poison. It is just a cheaper quality.

Even with pest inside it is still good enough for producing beer.

not good quality doesn't mean it is poison. It is just a cheaper quality.

Even with pest inside it is still good enough for producing beer.

If you are a buyer would you buy this - it might be good enough for animal feed perhaps although I don't know if that is possible with rice

or will end up on the shelves of Thailand supermarkets all nice white and bleached

Or the crook that made the offer to buy it for producing fuel provided benzene 95 was withdrawn

Looking very bad for the quality of what is there, but the quantity is another thing which has yet to be determined.

Just how much of Yingluck and Yanyomg's 19.8 million tons is really there.

BANGKOK, 24 April 2014

– Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has asserted that rice in the government's stockpile has not gone missing as suspected by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), urging the latter to conduct an inspection of the government's rice stock to determine whether rice was really missing.

Minister Yanyong visited the NACC on Wednesday to submit a letter asserting that inspections of the rice stock in warehouses, carried out in March by Ministry of Commerce officials and members of the rice stock inspection committee, found that the entire 18.7 million tons of rice was intact and another 1.1 million tons was being fumigated.

And that in itself is not only 100% proof of gross negligence, but also of lying to cover up the scale of the disaster which in my opinion nothing less than fraud and corruption.

So I am surely expecting a prison sentence for Yingluck and her cronies. There is very little anyone can say now to produce a defence for them. You can wheel in a thousand witnesses, but you/they can't change the facts.

so we are possibly looking at about 14 million tonnes of the stockpiled rice being spoiled then. Or at least 80% of what is actually remaining after all the theft is uncovered which could amount to millions of tonnes on its own.

All covered up by Yingluck and her government.

BUSTED!!!!

• Like 1

No one is surprised by this. No one. The rice shuffling game has been at the hands of the millers and warehouse owners for quite some time -- before the nineteen fifties. The PTP brought the corruption, we are told -- to a new level altogether. Thai rice is smuggled out and swapped with lower grade rice that is smuggled in from surrounding countries.

Thai rice is famous. I know US chefs who won't use anything else. In my opinion, the grain out of Surin is a revelation (no exaggeration). It has more 'riceness' in it, and the flavor and aroma are incredible. I have been in Thailand for five years and only, sadly, had it once. Because soil, microbes and climate are unique from place to place, I honestly believe Surin rice may be the best in the world. I really like rice, and have had nearly every variety available. Surin rice is a 10, the nearest next ias short grain japanese sushi rice, delicate as petals, and it's a 6. If you happen to be in Surin, please try it (especially if you're a foodie).

"I don't think any Thai would consider exporting bad products to foreign countries." Um...what?

I think the US banks being untouchable and the Thai millers and warehouses having the same immunity are related -- they are so important to their respective countries' economies that no one can control them.

Another stonewall. Very sad.

Edited by FangFerang

Next ,, every farmer get his own number stamped on every bag they sell to gov.

Not a bad idea i think

Big problem with that is that the farmers don't sell it by the sack they sell it by the ton to the miller where it is then mixed up with rice sold to that miller by every other farmer they have brought from before it is milled.

Would be impossible to mill each and every farmers rice separately, particularly that of the smaller farmers who only have a small quantity to sell.

If I understand correctly the mills have there own marks (brands) on the bags that they have milled and sent on the Govt warehouses so it is (should be) possible to trace back to the mill but not to individual farmers.

However the mill should (must) have records of all the rice they have bought for the Govt under the scheme, for they had to provide each farmer with documentation to take to the bank and also to be able to claim back from the Govt for what they bought.

Ah, the next step is revealed already.

Now that this report is out - the "good men" will offer 10% of the price to purchase (as an act of "charity" to help the country - cough, cough).

Then it will be sold for 80% of it's original value and the "good men" will have had their payoff.

• Like 1

Looking very bad for the quality of what is there, but the quantity is another thing which has yet to be determined.

Just how much of Yingluck and Yanyomg's 19.8 million tons is really there.

BANGKOK, 24 April 2014

– Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has asserted that rice in the government's stockpile has not gone missing as suspected by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), urging the latter to conduct an inspection of the government's rice stock to determine whether rice was really missing.

Minister Yanyong visited the NACC on Wednesday to submit a letter asserting that inspections of the rice stock in warehouses, carried out in March by Ministry of Commerce officials and members of the rice stock inspection committee, found that the entire 18.7 million tons of rice was intact and another 1.1 million tons was being fumigated.

If I remember, this inspection was conducted by Nuttawat....over a period of something like 3-4 days.....

This can not be true as I fully remember Yingluck making the announcement that she ordered and inspection or these warehouses and the stockpiles were in good condition. It is known to all that a Shiniwatra would not lie