Phuket's Second Coming

SeaVisionBurma

@SVB Thanks for bringing new sources of articles to the News forum. This article, while is was not fully accurate as it was partly written in positive future tense, was a fresh breath the the normal news.

The psychology, people's feeling and general ability to look forward is the key to solve the issues which Phuket has. That's why, specially at this moment, it's so important to maintain the good general feeling to the changes which are happening in Phuket right now.

When large changes happen, there is always resistance. Some people will complain that the changes are not fast enough. Some will criticize the priorities on which order changes are made. Some people are just too impatient to wait things to get back to normal. Some people are simply Me, myself and I personalities who demand that their needs are put to the front of the queue, regardless what would be best for everybody else.

To change the culture of corruption it will take a generation of real law enforcement and the moral educaion of young students. National pride is is what we see in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Singapore ... it is what the rest of the world thinks about a country and its people. Thais need to learn at an early age their behavior and work ethics develope public opinion about Thailand around the world.

• Like 1

To change the culture of corruption it will take a generation of real law enforcement and the moral educaion of young students. National pride is is what we see in Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan, Singapore ... it is what the rest of the world thinks about a country and its people. Thais need to learn at an early age their behavior and work ethics develope public opinion about Thailand around the world.

I'd agree with that statement.... clap2.gif

• Like 1

We all know that Thais are in denial with a lot of,things, as we all have came across it..., in one situation or another...

Please speak for yourself, I see in this respect no difference between Thais and other nationalities.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:

We all know that Thais are in denial with a lot of,things, as we all have came across it..., in one situation or another...

Please speak for yourself, I see in this respect no difference between Thais and other nationalities.

Stevenl, the story is about Phuket, no where else, please keep it local, what happens elsewhere is of no significance. The fact is, Thai do deny, in fact they are indoctrinated at an early age to believe they are right and do no wrong and are better than other nations, this they are forced to believe every day at school. Their "face saving" culture does not allow them to be self critical or to accept criticism from others. KEEP IT LOCAL.

Ok, at your special request: I see in this respect no difference between Thais living on Phuket, Thais living elsewhere in Thailand and people from other nationalities.

Thais don't 'need to'. They already know. Some of you on here truly believe some 'golden dawn' of 'learning' aka the oft mentioned countries in your post will bring about a sea change in the Dtai/Tai/'Those barbarians from over the Yangntse' will, haha, EVER effect a change. It WON'T w00t.gif Ever. Idiots blink.png

• Like 1

stevenl, on 25 Aug 2014 - 17:01, said:
MediaWatcher, on 25 Aug 2014 - 16:57, said:
stevenl, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:43, said:
robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:

Stevenl, the story is about Phuket, no where else, please keep it local, what happens elsewhere is of no significance. The fact is, Thai do deny, in fact they are indoctrinated at an early age to believe they are right and do no wrong and are better than other nations, this they are forced to believe every day at school. Their "face saving" culture does not allow them to be self critical or to accept criticism from others. KEEP IT LOCAL.

Ok, at your special request: I see in this respect no difference between Thais living on Phuket, Thais living elsewhere in Thailand and people from other nationalities.

You still seem to want to go outside Thailand...Please, keep it local, or does this diminish your argument.

stevenl, on 25 Aug 2014 - 17:01, said:
MediaWatcher, on 25 Aug 2014 - 16:57, said:
stevenl, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:43, said:
robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:

I also don't see why you even need to differentiate between Thai that live on Phuket and Thais living elsewhere in Thailand, you seem to be another that thinks Phuket is separate from Thailand, I guess you must believe people from Tasmania are different from those on the mainland, those on Hawaii are different that those on the mainland... get my gist.

Your right Stevenl, there is always someone ready to dump on Thailand, either living & enjoying life here, or bitter because there not here.

Sort of makes you wonder what they are like when they wake up in the morning with the sun streaming trough the curtains.... Oh <deleted> not another day in paradise......................coffee1.gif

This Prayut guy is trying to win over the country by cleaning up all the corrupted practices which were the norm before. Many people with skeletons in the cupboard are now running scared. Lets just hope that he does not turn out to be a power hungry zealot or this is all just a show to win support from the masses.

There is no doubting the many great improvements, but it's not all roses and bunnies as this editorial suggests. If there is one thing Thai people know how to do it it's how to put on an act of compliance when when someone is watching. Once past the traffic police, helmet goes back into the basket. This last week the Army was in town and guess what....no tuk tuks, motosai taxi's, or ping pong touts Bangla Rd. No illegally parked, double or triple parked tuk tuks on the beach road or 200 year Rd. No fireworks or fire lanterns on the beach. Everyone was told to take a week off. There was a very noticeable difference. But it was all a show. By Friday night, everything was back to normal, and having missed 4 days of action, the touts were extra aggressive. It is naive to think the military doesn't know this goes on. As long as the tuk tuks are allowed to park wherever they want taking every public space in Patong, as long as a 1km fare to the other end of the beach road remains 300B, then this cannot be considered a success for Phuket. There is still a long way to go before we can call this a victory. One thing is for sure, if our benevolent dictator can't do it, if it doesn't happen now, it never will. Phuket can say goodbye permanently to the "high end, quality tourists."

Patience brother, be a believer. Give it time, the new PM has only just got started.

• Like 1

This is smaltzy ad promo rubbish.

"This attitude is gone and the gangsters are now running scared".

Oh really, running scared. Keesin is just in the process of developing a huge new commercial premise on Bangla.

Yeah he's petrified...

Ahem......have you checked the news lately? I would love to read your spin on the latest police/military action. whistling.gif

@SVB Thanks for bringing new sources of articles to the News forum. This article, while is was not fully accurate as it was partly written in positive future tense, was a fresh breath the the normal news.

The psychology, people's feeling and general ability to look forward is the key to solve the issues which Phuket has. That's why, specially at this moment, it's so important to maintain the good general feeling to the changes which are happening in Phuket right now.

When large changes happen, there is always resistance. Some people will complain that the changes are not fast enough. Some will criticize the priorities on which order changes are made. Some people are just too impatient to wait things to get back to normal. Some people are simply Me, myself and I personalities who demand that their needs are put to the front of the queue, regardless what would be best for everybody else.

And I'm quite sure your sentiments are exactly what Pol Pot, and every other Asian despot counted on. Hell I'll throw in a few European ones too.

Sorry the newly annointed PM doesn't fool me one iota and he proved it with his first action on his very first day to request immigration to not follow rules on in and out tourist visas as it "will affect teachers..," totally contradicting the work permit requirements. Talk about populist BS !!

When ( or more likely, if) martial law is ever lifted, and we get a look at what is going right now to political prisoners - I think history will agree with me .

And I'm quite sure your sentiments are exactly what Pol Pot, and every other Asian despot counted on. Hell I'll throw in a few European ones too.

Sorry the newly annointed PM doesn't fool me one iota and he proved it with his first action on his very first day to request immigration to not follow rules on in and out tourist visas as it "will affect teachers..," totally contradicting the work permit requirements. Talk about populist BS !!

When ( or more likely, if) martial law is ever lifted, and we get a look at what is going right now to political prisoners - I think history will agree with me .

<personal frustration to negativity removed/oilinki>

Someday, in the future, it might be beneficial for you to consider that even we others, are indeed able to think quite amount of different kind of scenarios how things will turn out. Some are nice, some are not pretty at all. After thinking different possibilities, it's time to make a bit of calculations to determine which endings are likely and which are not. This includes quite amount of variables during the process.

For what I have seen you writing earlier, you like to go from point A to point B directly. As an example questioning 'why the poor suffer and nothing has been done to the rich'. You have failed to see the strategy which this scene has been build on.

Now, as an exercise, think what the General would Really gain to turn this into Pol Pot situation. Think what he would lose as well. Then calculate the possibilities what he might do in the future. What are the pressure points and by whom.

What will come out of this huge change which is going on? I don't know. I might understand some of the levels this game is played, but not all.

At this point I enjoy the clearance of the mafias, greedy people and general malpractices which has happened here in Phuket for ages. As long as things are getting better I do not see a reason to do nothing but enjoy the changes. Wait and see, as long as things get better.

Edited by Guest

There is no doubting the many great improvements, but it's not all roses and bunnies as this editorial suggests. If there is one thing Thai people know how to do it it's how to put on an act of compliance when when someone is watching. Once past the traffic police, helmet goes back into the basket. This last week the Army was in town and guess what....no tuk tuks, motosai taxi's, or ping pong touts Bangla Rd. No illegally parked, double or triple parked tuk tuks on the beach road or 200 year Rd. No fireworks or fire lanterns on the beach. Everyone was told to take a week off. There was a very noticeable difference. But it was all a show. By Friday night, everything was back to normal, and having missed 4 days of action, the touts were extra aggressive. It is naive to think the military doesn't know this goes on. As long as the tuk tuks are allowed to park wherever they want taking every public space in Patong, as long as a 1km fare to the other end of the beach road remains 300B, then this cannot be considered a success for Phuket. There is still a long way to go before we can call this a victory. One thing is for sure, if our benevolent dictator can't do it, if it doesn't happen now, it never will. Phuket can say goodbye permanently to the "high end, quality tourists."

Patience brother, be a believer. Give it time, the new PM has only just got started.

Well hopefully the news today will help.

Someday, in the future, it might be beneficial for you to consider that even we others, are indeed able to think quite amount of different kind of scenarios how things will turn out. Some are nice, some are not pretty at all. After thinking different possibilities, it's time to make a bit of calculations to determine which endings are likely and which are not. This includes quite amount of variables during the process.

For what I have seen you writing earlier, you like to go from point A to point B directly. As an example questioning 'why the poor suffer and nothing has been done to the rich'. You have failed to see the strategy which this scene has been build on.

Now, as an exercise, think what the General would Really gain to turn this into Pol Pot situation. Think what he would lose as well. Then calculate the possibilities what he might do in the future. What are the pressure points and by whom.

What will come out of this huge change which is going on? I don't know. I might understand some of the levels this game is played, but not all.

At this point I enjoy the clearance of the mafias, greedy people and general malpractices which has happened here in Phuket for ages. As long as things are getting better I do not see a reason to do nothing but enjoy the changes. Wait and see, as long as things get better.

When EB posts that the clearing of the beach is comparable to war in Beirut then goes on to comparing the new government to Po Pot, he or she has lost all credibility and is simply a troll looking for attention… Possibly time to stop feeding the troll? Maybe it will go away. But it has been rather amusing at times!

• Like 2

When EB posts that the clearing of the beach is comparable to war in Beirut then goes on to comparing the new government to Po Pot, he or she has lost all credibility and is simply a troll looking for attention… Possibly time to stop feeding the troll? Maybe it will go away. But it has been rather amusing at times!

The trolls can be both good and bad. Sometimes they raise interesting points to the discussion and sometimes they are simply obnoxious little people. Quite often one follows the other as it's addiction without ability to build the case for some. For some it's a temporary style, which is like swearing - good when done in style.

+1 thumbsup.gif

robertthebruce, on 25 Aug 2014 - 13:36, said:

Really????

Have you ever been to Issan?

OK. So rather than just bloviate, go on the record. Tell us who these political prisoners are, exactly why or for what they're being persecuted, and what you think is happening to them. Maybe start a new topic so we can all easily find it when the time comes. Then we'll have something "history" can judge you by.

Who cares about this sewer, let it self destruct.

Perhaps many of the 100,000 expats that live here. With the problems I still consider it better place to live than any other part of Thailand. Patong is sewer, but that is a very small part of the island. Phuket is the geographic size of Singapore.

• Like 1