Do you like being the only farang in your area?

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soutpeel, I think you are wrong. When the Badger meets the Beaver, moustache or not, fur may fly. What is wanted, no?

the problem is Costas is world famous for milking his badger in public and unless he leaves it at home, his cunning disguise will not fool anyone, sorry the badger has to go for his mission to be a success...

• Like 1

I like and dislike it. I like it because people are very friendly to my face. I donot like it because behind my back they make up stories about the farang and gossip a lot.

Obvious answer is to 'square' the wife and give them some substance to gossip about? I have found that visits to 'Heaven' Open 24 hours 120B an hour 320 Baht a night to watch TV and drink beer with a charming companion sets the town alight to the amusement of 'her upstairs'

Edited by hotsoup

I like and dislike it. I like it because people are very friendly to my face. I donot like it because behind my back they make up stories about the farang and gossip a lot.

I like it, makes me feel at home.

I am very insular and like to be alone, well not alone, but not required to chatter.

Very rarely someone who speaks English comes this way, if foreigner, Pakistan or Australian, with relatives here, we exchange a few pleasantries.

My worst dread is the Thai , with passable skills in English, who corner me to impress their mastership of the language,

Most of my neighbours laugh when they get the put down as I go into real English mode and they have not a clue what I am replying. Better still when my son interprets and tells them in Thai.

This only applies to two individuals who think they are hi so!

It does not apply now but a few years ago it did and I was one of 2 farangs within a 15 mile radius....the other farang is a great friend and person.....I quite enjoyed the temple and village parties - had I known more of the ground rules then I could have found some delicious trouble to get into....however I - being quite visible would never know who might have taken offense if I (as tempted to) made moves with some of the gals & found myself in more trouble country style than it would have been worth.......did manage a fun time or three anyway.....

I was 28 k away from a major city with all the entertainment I'd ever want to find - when I wanted it......

Obvious answer is to 'square' the wife and give them some substance to gossip about? I have found that visits to 'Heaven' Open 24 hours 120B an hour 320 Baht a night to watch TV and drink beer with a charming companion sets the town alight to the amusement of 'her upstairs'

And such a place exists somewhere in the Thai-Boonies? If yes, I would consider relocating.

Cheers.

I am with you OP, I do not really care either way but the less foreigners means no tourist stuff and way less riff raff. I occasionally see a few at a Big C store but no idea if living where I am or just passing through. Now I could never be a recluse out in Isaan, not my make up. I need social interaction and some creature comforts. As for being stared at as a foreigner, I do not really pay attention to it much. It really only happens from time to time with little children.

I guess my answer would be yes, only 4 frangies in our village and I have nothing in common with them except occasional hello.

Have some part timers here which are from my observations instructed by there wife / gf / whatever, not to talk to me, from what I can understand.laugh.png

I tell anyone from the west that come's to our village " You don't want to live here it's a horrible place " laugh.png

I am not the only one but they are very far and few between here which means I get invited to a lot of functions and everyone knows me and gives me a smile or waves, definitely like it.

As for the TGAU, has Costas actually finalized his education to qualify for one????????????, thought he was still learning to milk properely

It is easy to feel like you are the only farang in town when there are many.

Not where I live when I'm in Thailand ... and we are not that far from the end of the BTS.

Good for you ... but it is not what I have experienced in more than a dozen towns and cities in Thailand... including parts of Bkk

Oh I stay away. One Farang thinks the CIA World Fact book is no good because they couldn't catch Jason Bourne. Another says they don't speak Cambodian in Cambodia. One guy had the audacity to tell me a 57 year age difference was too much between me and my wife. Before I started reading Thai Visa I used to talk to other Farang now when I greet one I do so in Navajo. I learned Navajo when I was a code talker. Ya Ta Hey Ney Hani.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Not where I live when I'm in Thailand ... and we are not that far from the end of the BTS.

Good for you ... but it is not what I have experienced in more than a dozen towns and cities in Thailand... including parts of Bkk

As we know ... everyone's mileage is different.

Mine is different because I don't live in a City, nor a Village.

Even our Local TESCO usually doesn't have any ... certainly not the local markets.

As we know ... everyone's mileage is different.

Mine is different because I don't live in a City, nor a Village.

Even our Local TESCO usually doesn't have any ... certainly not the local markets.

Your in a remote part of Thailand in the mountain areas with the mong's aren't you. biggrin.png

Oh I stay away. One Farang thinks the CIA World Fact book is no good because they couldn't catch Jason Bourne. Another says they don't speak Cambodian in Cambodia. One guy had the audacity to tell me a 57 year age difference was too much between me and my wife. Before I started reading Thai Visa I used to talk to other Farang now when I greet one I do so in Navajo. I learned Navajo when I was a code talker. Ya Ta Hey Ney Hani.

That is really cool and I'd forgotten about that. For any who don't know, Navajo is one tribe of native Americans, AKA American Indians and they have their own language. During wartime the US military, often the Marines, would use bilingual Navajos or bilingual "white men" to send message via the Navajo language as a virtually unbreakable code.

Thank you for your service, Thailiketoo. thumbsup.gif

OP, I love being the only farang in the village.

Feel like a novelty here, wais all over, smiles from everybody.

My only problem is, can't approach the sexy girls, as everybody knows the farang and will immediately go to my wife.

But I'm working on that.......there are other villages around.........

The only hairy old Greek Obsessed badger Milker in town.....I can't believe it :P