New X-trail almost here?

bkkjames

Here, expect it to be 1 wheel (front) drive 1.6l auto-box only.

If you're referring to the hybrid, we will be getting the 147HP 2.0L, with a 41HP electric motor, driven via a CVT with Nissan's "dual clutch" mating the engine & motor. Overall performance is claimed to equal/better a 2.5L engine.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to sound so negative. I do like what I see particularly with the BMW Active Hybrid cars they sell here. Reasonable price for what you get compared to the surrounding countries (exception being Malaysia where they are assembled, and cheaper still).

Sorry to be off topic, but let's look at these local hybrids aside from the BMW which also uses a twin scroll turbo on the engine.

The Camry hybrid in 3 trims all have 202hp combined 2.5 litre internal combustion plus electric power. Not bad for a 4 banger. What stands out though is the 2.5G. It has 178hp and no electric assist motor. The other 3 hybrids, same 2.5 - 4 banger only produce 157hp, the other 45hp comes from the electric motor.

The 2.5G uses a 10.4:1 compression ration engine. The 3 hybrids, same 2.5 litre engine is 12.5:1 compression ration! That is extremely high for the type of car and it is making less horses then the lower compression 2.5G!

I think they are putting a turbo in the 2.5G elsewhere (outside of Thailand) and then running a 230-240hp 4 banger! I would google it and research some more, but this is all the time I have today for this!

Edited by jmccarty

Sorry to sound so negative. I do like what I see particularly with the BMW Active Hybrid cars they sell here. Reasonable price for what you get compared to the surrounding countries (exception being Malaysia where they are assembled, and cheaper still).

Sorry to be off topic, but let's look at these local hybrids aside from the BMW which also uses a twin scroll turbo on the engine.

The Camry hybrid in 3 trims all have 202hp combined 2.5 litre internal combustion plus electric power. Not bad for a 4 banger. What stands out though is the 2.5G. It has 178hp and no electric assist motor. The other 3 hybrids, same 2.5 - 4 banger only produce 157hp, the other 45hp comes from the electric motor.

The 2.5G uses a 10.4:1 compression ration engine. The 3 hybrids, same 2.5 litre engine is 12.5:1 compression ration! That is extremely high for the type of car and it is making less horses then the lower compression 2.5G!

I think they are putting a turbo in the 2.5G elsewhere (outside of Thailand) and then running a 230-240hp 4 banger! I would google it and research some more, but this is all the time I have today for this!

It will all get more exciting as more manufacturers roll out turbos across the range...

One of the most interesting "affordable" 4-pots in TH right now is the Benz M 270 DE 20 AL - 2.0L turbo, 211 HP, 350Nm - you can buy a car (A, CLA, GLA) with it for around 20% more than a top-spec Camry Hybrid, and it will still do 16KM/L vs. the Camry's ~20KM/L, plus get you to 100KM/hr over a second quicker ;)

True, if you don't need the extra size of the Camry or X-Trail. The rear seats of the A Class and CLA are definitely not comparable and more suitable for small children.

The 2.0L M270 is a nice motor though. Good torque from low speed and pulls well through the revs with out much turbo lag, that is once the Benz dual clutch transmission makes up its mind. Interesting that the Fuel consumption test results for the CLA with the dual clutch transmission are not significantly better than the Torque Converter Autos in the C Class or 3 series. The acceleration does not feel better (to me) either. Considering the reliability and drive-ability complaints Ford and VW have had with Dual clutch trans, I wonder why Benz bothered?

True, if you don't need the extra size of the Camry or X-Trail. The rear seats of the A Class and CLA are definitely not comparable and more suitable for small children.

The 2.0L M270 is a nice motor though. Good torque from low speed and pulls well through the revs with out much turbo lag, that is once the Benz dual clutch transmission makes up its mind. Interesting that the Fuel consumption test results for the CLA with the dual clutch transmission are not significantly better than the Torque Converter Autos in the C Class or 3 series. The acceleration does not feel better (to me) either. Considering the reliability and drive-ability complaints Ford and VW have had with Dual clutch trans, I wonder why Benz bothered?

Try this: As soon as you start the car, put it into Sports mode - then the DCT all the sudden works the way you'd expect it to :)

Not sure on the why though.. perhaps something to do with the 4Matic AWD system other markets get?

Try this: As soon as you start the car, put it into Sports mode - then the DCT all the sudden works the way you'd expect it to smile.png

Not sure on the why though.. perhaps something to do with the 4Matic AWD system other markets get?

Yeah, done that. Sports mode changes down quicker and holds gears longer but it's sometimes slow to up-shift. Benz also annoyingly set the trans control to default to Economy mode so sports mode would need to be selected on every start. The shift paddles are useful in either mode when the transmission dithers.

Basically the Dual Clutch transmission control is not ideal, and certainly not as good as many Autos, like the C Class and 3 Series. Which raises the question, if the performance is not much better, why bother with the dual clutch?

Edited by Jitar

The compression ratio for the Atkinson-cycle 2AR-FXE is actually not that high when compared with the 14.0:1 of Mazda's current skyactiv engines. By design it's more efficient than its 2AR-FE counterpart (2.5 otto-cycle) but has less ponies and torque but with the help of the electric motor the hybrid has a higher total combined output and is more fuel efficient.

Another example is the Honda accord Hybrid: 2.0 atkinson-cycle 143hp (CR 13.0:1) combined with the powerful electric engine offers a total output of 199hp and 307 nm of torque. The 2.4 engine produces 178hp and 230 nm torque. Despite the heavier curb weight the 2.0 hybrid smokes the 2.4 engine in every way:

0-100 km/h:

2.0 hybrid: 8.44 sec.

2.4 : 10.24 sec.

Overtaking 80-120 km/h:

2.0 hybrid: 5.93 sec.

2.4 : 7.37 sec.

Fuel consumption over a 93 km drive in and around BKK: (city / highway)

2.0 hybrid : 20.52 km per liter

2.4 : 14.98 km per liter

The only thing you don't get much in these hybrid is top speed. 185 km/h and then the limiter kicks in. (the 2.4 with 205 km/h is not spectacular either)

I guess we will similar numbers for the x-trail hybrid and 2.5 engine.

Edited by sjonburi

Always one to be suspicious ! is the fact that Nissan haven't sold many X Trails the reason that they have offered me 45,000 baht discount plus the usual freebies ? or is there more too it ?

It was the top selling SUV in it's segment back in June, and holds the #2 spot YTD (behind the CR-V).

I think you'll find the discounting/promotions are because car sales are just in a slump, across the board.

Always one to be suspicious ! is the fact that Nissan haven't sold many X Trails the reason that they have offered me 45,000 baht discount plus the usual freebies ? or is there more too it ?

It was the top selling SUV in it's segment back in June, and holds the #2 spot YTD (behind the CR-V).

I think you'll find the discounting/promotions are because car sales are just in a slump, across the board.

I would agree...new vehicle sales are down the toilet for the past couple years so manufacturers should be offering some very good promos. In this segment, car-based SUVs under 2M baht, there are only 3 real choices, the CRV, X-Trail, and CX-5, so it's not too hard to make a decision. The Honda has the best resale value and the current version has won some best SUV awards (international awards), the Nissan is the best looking of the three and but is missing some safety kit, while the Mazda has the best ride and handling of the three but worst resale and looks, IMHO.

Back to the XTrail, is the lovely cream/beige interior not avail on the top spec? If that's the case it's totally stupid

http://autonetmagz.net/7-differences-between-nissan-x-trail-indonesia-compare-to-thailand/10835/interior-nissan-x-trail-2014-thailand/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2WD versions get the cream+black interior, the 4WD versions are all black inside (which means only black for the top model).

I agree BTW - I have no time at all for black interiors.

Edited by IMHO

Personally, I don't mind the dark interior and am bored with beige interiors. Thailand is strange in the way many manufacturers deny buyers the choice of interior colour or even a decent range of exterior colours for many models. I guess it cuts down their inventory but make our already limited range of cars even more dull.

It's just that particular interior looks sensational in the lighter colour. I'd go for black in many other cars.

As far as exterior colours go, Kia Thailand have guaranteed themselves next to no buyers of the Soul by offering it in a choice of just two colours, and possibly the worst combo ever for this market.

Fraid I have to agree to disagree with you and IMHO on that one.

Anyway, I like the T32 X-Trail, CVT seems to work well, 2.5L is OK for 170hp and the interior is good.

Suspension is a nice compromise between ride and handling.

Not so good:

4 airbags is stingy.

The steering is very light at low speed, not really my preference but others may like it.

Road noise is noticeable on rough asphalt, wonder if different tyres would help?

There seems to be a slight delay when lightly applying the brakes. Might be just the brakes biting after more pedal travel than I am used too. Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by Jitar

Don't think so, Nissan sales people said 4. I didn't crawl over the back seat looking for extra airbags as sales people rarely underestimate. Maybe the Hybrid version will get more.

Yep, the 2.0L models get only 2 front airbags - the top spec 2.5L adds side airbags, but again in the front seats only.

Strange to have all the other safety spec and not include that. Oh well.

Thai spec car...safety doesn't sell care here (witness all e people riding in the back of pickups). Hopefully when a refresh model arrives they with up the specs to 6 or 7 airbags. As mentioned, the hybrid may have more as they're often marketed as premium "high-tech" models.

Guessing price will be around 1.75

I'm kinda wondering what the purpose of hybrid vehicles is now with petrol being cheap as chips now, and possibly likely to stay that way for some time (years). In Thailand, at least the electric motors give the underpowered models we have to choose from here some extra torque.

I'm kinda wondering what the purpose of hybrid vehicles is now with petrol being cheap as chips now, and possibly likely to stay that way for some time (years). In Thailand, at least the electric motors give the underpowered models we have to choose from here some extra torque.

Agreed - when a diesel turbo can return the same sort of FE numbers - and equal or better real-world performance - without all the complexity, you do have to ask yourself: why? With Ford's ecoboost turbo gasoline engines, and Honda's upcoming response to them, even the "anti-clonker" brigade has no reason to buy one of these "eco focussed" hybrids.

Hybrid systems designed with a focus on better performance (e.g. Porsche's 3.0 supercharged V6 + hybrid motor) are a different story though. They make much more sense ;)

I'd much prefer an X-Trail with a 2.0L Turbo making HP in the low-mid-200's, and getting say 15KM/L. That's a car that would make sense :P

Agreed - when a diesel turbo can return the same sort of FE numbers - and equal or better real-world performance - without all the complexity, you do have to ask yourself: why? With Ford's ecoboost turbo gasoline engines, and Honda's upcoming response to them, even the "anti-clonker" brigade has no reason to buy one of these "eco focussed" hybrids.

Hybrid systems designed with a focus on better performance (e.g. Porsche's 3.0 supercharged V6 + hybrid motor) are a different story though. They make much more sense wink.png

I'd much prefer an X-Trail with a 2.0L Turbo making HP in the low-mid-200's, and getting say 15KM/L. That's a car that would make sense tongue.png

Indeed me too....but wait there is one out like that the Subaru Forester XT...well except the 15km/l of course. :0

Hybrid systems designed with a focus on better performance (e.g. Porsche's 3.0 supercharged V6 + hybrid motor) are a different story though. They make much more sense wink.png

I'd much prefer an X-Trail with a 2.0L Turbo making HP in the low-mid-200's, and getting say 15KM/L. That's a car that would make sense tongue.png

Indeed me too....but wait there is one out like that the Subaru Forester XT...well except the 15km/l of course. :0

True, but the Forester is not the best looker and Subaru dealers are pretty thin on the ground outside of the big Mango.

Maybe a diesel would be more attractive as Ace says.