Thailand's first river tunnel below Chao Phraya River is underway

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

knowing the safety standards of Thailand- good luck with this....

Relax, statistically you're more likely to die from a car accident in the tunnel than the tunnel collapsing.

It's not maybe that it's the water that may come in from both ends, hope there is no floods. Was getting some pumps from Korea 2 years ago ??

All I can say is that it is going to take a S*@t load of bamboo to make all the tunnel supports and thousands of Burmese workers to mix that much cement. However I am confident that it will be completed on time and on budget with millions of baht left over for everyone to get their fair share.

• Like 2

"Manager of the Blue Line electric rail extension project Praphon Chanpradapfah said most of the tunneling will be through mostly sandy soil.

Most of the boring or tunneling that has been carried out in the country will encounter sandy soils and great care must be taken in the construction of the tunnel.

What you must understand is that what is critical is not soil pressure but the pressure of water that will be pressing on the tunnel, he said."

He obviously knows his subject well and he fills me with great confidence. He doesn't sound like he needs to ask a foreigner...

• Like 1

well seeing how thais build things I think I would rather drive, maybe in a few years if it is still undamaged and operating ok. This will be the first one of its kind built here so I would rather not take any chances that they have used inferior materials to make a better profit, time will tell.

Edited by seajae

Interesting that they are tunneling under the Chao Praya. In San Francisco, maybe 40 years ago, they just laid the pipe on the bottom of the San Francisco Bay. Once all of the pipe was completed, they evacuated the water from the pipes, laid the track, and started running the subway to the East Bay cities. Works well. Scary though when the power is cut off, especially during an earthquake like in 1989. The methods used today must be greatly advanced. I would have no hesitation using this tunnel.

• Like 1

Relax, statistically you're more likely to die from a car accident in the tunnel than the tunnel collapsing.

Crikey, will this tunnel become a short cut for motorists???

• Like 1

I really do wonder about the Thai haters who post on this site.

They must have had a very bad experience with their ladyboy on their one visit here to have developed such a hate.

Try coming out of your ivory tower and spend a few weeks in industry and perhaps you may start to understand the apparent pessimism,derived from real life experience.

• Like 2

Unless of course a few loads of cement or steel are substandard and got 'past inspevtors'

and the whole thing collapses in 6 years.