Cracking-up ?

swissie

Cracking-up because of all the crackdowns? Remain calm and composed. We had crackdowns before:

- No smoking in (Pattaya) bars, remember that one? Or more recently: The local Immigration-Wizards in Hua-Hin issued orders for Farangs, that made the headlines. In the meantime, nobody even talks about it anymore. And brand new as of today: Local Polit-Jokels in Chiang-Mai have issued a pamphlet regulating "Alcohol Promotions". This is a must read !

But the the crack-down avalanche is in motion and will not stop tomorrow. Some members are already worried that the next crackdown will be targeted at prostitution. Impossible. There is no such thing in Thailand, there is only "Sohht-Penny". If no understand, your Thai-Wife can translate. "Sohht-Penny" existed in Thailand, long before the first tourist arrived.

Pessimistic voices, insisting that the day will come that a Farang is no more allowed to spend his money in Thailand and (worse) is no more allowed to distribute gifts to Thai-Gf in form of a humble house near Nakhom-Nowhere, I find those views somewhat exaggerated and overly pessimistic.

Albert Einstein once said: "The universe and human insanity are endless, but about the first point, I am not yet 100% sure". If old Albert would ever have lived in Thailand, he would have re-phrased it slightly, of that I am sure.

Cheers.

To be fair:

Manufacturing

Wholesale and Retail Trade

Transport, Storage and communication

Agricuture

Construction and Mining

Other services *

The hotels and tourism aspect of 'other services' could be over 20%, second to manufacturing (exports as I said).

Bangkok isn't one of the top traveled to cities in the world for people there in the manufacturing business but rather tourists and expats.

To be fair:

Manufacturing

Wholesale and Retail Trade

Transport, Storage and communication

Agricuture

Construction and Mining

Other services *

The hotels and tourism aspect of 'other services' could be over 20%, second to manufacturing (exports as I said).

Bangkok isn't one of the top traveled to cities in the world for people there in the manufacturing business but rather tourists and expats.

Tourism was 9% of GDP in last years figures.

Okay then. So tourism is no small amount at all...almost 10% is considerable indeed.

Again Bangkok had the top spot for a year for air arrivals. Higher than Paris, London, New York. Most of those arrivals were tourists.

Got a link? If true maybe it has something to do with "by air" as in that's the preferred way to get to Thailand?

Thailand is barely a blip on the world tourism radar. LINK

Wo.png

Okay then. So tourism is no small amount at all...almost 10% is considerable indeed.

Again Bangkok had the top spot for a year for air arrivals. Higher than Paris, London, New York. Most of those arrivals were tourists.

Do all international flights only go to those cities in those countries ?

Are they TAT figures ? coffee1.gif

Some are talking about cities, others about countries.

Per-tourist spending is low in Bangkok compared to Western countries and cities. Thailand doesn't rank at all. We're talking about money generated, not just how many land in an airplane. I wonder how many of those landing in an airplane are visa runners? LINK

263.gif

Edited by NeverSure

Its all cheast beating.............in reality they need us more than we need them, we can take our money elsewhere.

Ridiculous!

If we were so valuable to the Thai economy, do you think immigration would be cleaning house?

Methinks you overestimate our value to the Thai economy.

I've seen quite a few farangs mouthing off in bars about their imaginary financial clout in the Thai economy . . . but only during happy hour, mind you

Cleaning out visa cheats is nothing to do with tourism. Its showing Thai laws shouldnt be abused like they have.

Tourism spending is huge business in Thailand and its effects go down the line in hotels, markets, the list goes on. Bet your bottom dollar it has an impact on the economy.

Governments dont spend big money advertising countries for nothing.

• Like 1

Some are talking about cities, others about countries.

Per-tourist spending is low in Bangkok compared to Western countries and cities. Thailand doesn't rank at all. We're talking about money generated, not just how many land in an airplane. I wonder how many of those landing in an airplane are visa runners? LINK

263.gif

I dont get that graph. Who's receipts, the ones businesses keep for tax purposes?

In that case, lots of 'black' money would pass through Thailand and i think Australia has lots less tourists visit than Thailand.

Its all cheast beating.............in reality they need us more than we need them, we can take our money elsewhere.

Ridiculous!

If we were so valuable to the Thai economy, do you think immigration would be cleaning house?

Methinks you overestimate our value to the Thai economy.

I've seen quite a few farangs mouthing off in bars about their imaginary financial clout in the Thai economy . . . but only during happy hour, mind you

Cleaning out visa cheats is nothing to do with tourism. Its showing Thai laws shouldnt be abused like they have.

Tourism spending is huge business in Thailand and its effects go down the line in hotels, markets, the list goes on. Bet your bottom dollar it has an impact on the economy.

Governments dont spend big money advertising countries for nothing.

To be fair, I wasn't referring to an immigration crackdown on bona fide tourism . . . . because there really isn't one. I was referring to the merry bunch of expats who think they effectively walk on water because their distinctly modest incomes support a local woman, her dependents and the chicken noodle stall down the street.