Just moved back to the states after 5 years. Sticker shock.

zierf1

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai beer is absolutely horrendous at any price. I always laugh when people say the beer is cheap in Thailand.

To be fair i will say I have never heard anyone say they moved here for the beer wink.png

I had an beer alcoholic friend who said Thailand aided him immensely in his sobriety.

I always laugh when people say the beer is cheap in Thailand.

Yes, beer at a super market is cheaper and far better quality in the US than in Thailand.

What is cheaper in Thailand is going out to drink. You can not sit in a bar in the US and drink a large bottle of beer and chat with attractive waitresses for $3 a bottle. You can't go to a club and buy an entire bottle of whiskey for $15. Last night I did both and spent under 1000 baht for the night. I can't do that at home.

If you just want to sit at home and drink alone, the US is better than Thailand. If you want to go out, Thailand is cheaper.

• Like 2

Here is one thing that is actually a refreshing reversed sticker shock coming back to the US. You can get an outstanding beer here for about a $1 a bottle with a TREMENDOUS selection from hundreds of micro breweries. I am sitting here right now watching the SF Giants beat up on the LA Dodgers sipping on an ice cold Leinenkugels Orange Shandy. Thai beer is absolutely horrendous at any price. I always laugh when people say the beer is cheap in Thailand.

Yeh, but how much for a Hand Shandy?

I have no idea what that is, but it sounds a bit repulsive and something to be alone.....LOL!!!

Here is one thing that is actually a refreshing reversed sticker shock coming back to the US. You can get an outstanding beer here for about a $1 a bottle with a TREMENDOUS selection from hundreds of micro breweries. I am sitting here right now watching the SF Giants beat up on the LA Dodgers sipping on an ice cold Leinenkugels Orange Shandy. Thai beer is absolutely horrendous at any price. I always laugh when people say the beer is cheap in Thailand.

I do miss ATT park - been there too many times to count - but will take the wife next time in the states to have her experience the electricty of it....2nd generation Giants fan here....

You're obviously not at the game with $1.00 beer....

I'm sitting in my livingroom in CM watching the Giants beat up the Dodgers drinking a Coke Zero...get to watch every game which I couldn't if I were there....and don't have an inclination or clue what an Orange Shandy is....but not a brew drinker....

But - for the ones that are you have a point.....enjoy the game.....burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

@ PG,

ATT park is probably the best baseball stadium in the US. I have taken my wife to 3 games and she has really liked each one. She loves the Garlic fries LOL.

Now the downside is that it isn't cheap. A few seats, field level as they call it, are $100 and up ea. Parking is $30. You toss in $10 beers in plastic cups, $7 garlic fries, $12 hamburger and that 3 hour day at the park can set you back nearly $300 dollars including gas there and back. It is what it is. The New Levi Stadium for the Niners is ridiculous. I will never go to a game. Seats prices are so over priced and quite frankly the stadium is not that nice. Food and beer even worse. My few friends that went and saw a preseason games spent $500 - $700. I miss the Candlestick days of $50 dollar tickets and $5 dollar beers and the awesome tailgate parties. Can't do any of that at Levi stadium. Best to stay home and watch from the big couch, BBQ and have a $1 beer ice cold in a big glass.

There are times when I sit back here and am so thankful in many ways I am only here in the states for a contract job and will not stay. I like knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel for us to go back home. It really is terribly expensive here for even the most basic of things. I was reflecting on this the other day when I went to buy a black printer cartridge for our machine. Best price online was $38 and would have to wait 5 days. So I bought local at Office Depot, $42. In Thailand I can get them refilled over and over for $3. Its those types of things that make me appreciate life in Thailand. All the little things add up very very fast.

• Like 1

"Orange Shandy"? Sounds absolutely revolting.

Well it is actually quite refreshing. Ice cold Wheat beer with an Orange zest aroma. I do understand some like dark hard core Lager or IPA beers. Its all a matter of preference. If you have not had it, you should try it. Its how one expands their life experience. I had never had it until last night and It was quite good.

I always laugh when people say the beer is cheap in Thailand.

Yes, beer at a super market is cheaper and far better quality in the US than in Thailand.

What is cheaper in Thailand is going out to drink. You can not sit in a bar in the US and drink a large bottle of beer and chat with attractive waitresses for $3 a bottle. You can't go to a club and buy an entire bottle of whiskey for $15. Last night I did both and spent under 1000 baht for the night. I can't do that at home.

If you just want to sit at home and drink alone, the US is better than Thailand. If you want to go out, Thailand is cheaper.

I absolutely agree DP25. This is why there will never be one answer for all. I was never much of a bar guy but I can see how that can be fun for others.

So this comparison is a draw. Cheaper beer here but cheaper bars there. The woman thing...well that only leads to potential headaches..LOL!!

Here is the house I bought for 550,000 THB in late 2010, in the US. http://www.zillow.com/homes/3831-n-8th-st,-85014_rb/

That's a kinda rough neighborhood...

4% African; but who's counting.

There is absolutely nothing bad about living near blacks. Many are hard working middle class people who do the best they can to have a home in a neighborhood and raise their kids.

Of course there are ghettos where the bad ones choose to congregate that you'd want to steer clear of, but there are similar white neighborhoods.

Yes I know blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crimes, but you can still avoid the areas where they congregate.

I didn't check the 4%, but the population of the US is 13% black so that would be low.

I'd rather live in a neighborhood of predominantly middle class blacks than in a white ghetto.

BTW most aren't Africans and that's why they are no longer called Afro-Americans. Many of the black slaves came from Jamaica because it was so much closer for the slaving ships to plunder - a terrible mark on American history.

I agree with Craig, that looks like a bit of a rough neighborhood but not due to color.

NOW take a hard look at this for 1.8 mil baht and it includes the land which you can own. If you don't like it I'll find you many others. LINK

• Like 1

Here is the house I bought for 550,000 THB in late 2010, in the US. http://www.zillow.com/homes/3831-n-8th-st,-85014_rb/

That's a kinda rough neighborhood...

Color has nothing to do with this. It's all about safety. I know that area fairly well. My brother lives in Flag and I've been in Phoenix dozens and dozens of times. It's one of the high crime areas in Phonenix, and the city itself ranks high for crime based on other cities of it's size in the US.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/09/14/safe-and-dangerous-places-in-phoenix/

Crime is a factor in any city you visit. The Morgan Quitno survey ranks Phoenix as #10 in a list of the 10 most dangerous cities in the United States for populations of more than 500,000 based on 2003 data compiled by the FBI.

Based on the June 2010 CARU report, the highest property crime area is in the Alhambra district. The majority of crimes occurred between 19th and 7th Avenues, and the area extends to about one-half mile on both sides of West Bethany Home Road. Interestingly, just two miles south of Bethany Home Road to Indian School Road, between 19th and 27th Avenues, is the highest density of reported violent crimes. This does include the area near Christown Spectrum Mall (1703 W. Bethany Home Road, (602) 249-0670) and Solano Park. If you travel there, just be vigilant.

West Phoenix, roughly between Indian School Road and I-10 tends to rank very high in the number of crimes that are reported. Gang activity is one reason for this. This area leads in the number of violent crimes reported. Homicide and aggravated assault are major threats that make this neighborhood one of the scary places in Phoenix. In 2009, CARU reported a total of 8,732 violent crimes for the city.

If you are going to travel frequently in the inner city, you'll want to keep an eye out for the Central City area of town, especially Thomas Road. There is a smattering of violent crime hot spots as you travel eastbound on Thomas Road starting near the Interstate 17 intersection, followed by the 7th Avenue intersection (near Encanto Park), and then between 32nd and 40th Avenues. When unsure, just stay clear.

The areas outside central Phoenix are great. My favorite is Sedona. An absolutely amazing place to visit. I've spent a lot of time in Havasu, Parker, and Page, where my brother use to live. The Colorado river and grand canyon are fantastic. Can't wait to go back and visit again!

• Like 2

There is absolutely nothing bad about living near blacks. Many are hard working middle class people who do the best they can to have a home in a neighborhood and raise their kids.

Of course there are ghettos where the bad ones choose to congregate that you'd want to steer clear of, but there are similar white neighborhoods.

Yes I know blacks commit a disproportionate amount of crimes, but you can still avoid the areas where they congregate.

I didn't check the 4%, but the population of the US is 13% black so that would be low.

I'd rather live in a neighborhood of predominantly middle class blacks than in a white ghetto.

BTW most aren't Africans and that's why they are no longer called Afro-Americans. Many of the black slaves came from Jamaica because it was so much closer for the slaving ships to plunder - a terrible mark on American history.

I agree with Craig, that looks like a bit of a rough neighborhood but not due to color.

NOW take a hard look at this for 1.8 mil baht and it includes the land which you can own. If you don't like it I'll find you many others. LINK

Detroit 1950 - 83.58% white. Detroit 2010 10.61 white.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Detroit

What in the hell is your point? I thought everyone knew that in 1950 Detroit was screaming busy building autos and having all of the support systems there too, and over the decades 90% of those jobs were lost for reasons I won't state because it would be a politically charged, off topic statement.

Detroit is in ruins, the city is in bankruptcy proceedings as I write this, and it has nothing to do with race.

• Like 2

I live in Pattaya ( Naklua ) in a 2000 baht a month room ( furnished with bathroom,free fast internet & Sat TV ) a 15 minute stroll to the beach for afternoons " chillin' in the sun with cool tunes " and 100 baht a day for my food/drink etc.I don't drink or smoke or ever go to bars ( no interest ) Water/ Electric is 600 baht a month.I walk everywhere or use a bicycle and for long journeys use the train.Yes Thailand is cheap for a " Single Farang " who is non materialistic.Oh and i cook for myself and bake my own bread too!

Where else in the world can you rent a room for 2000 baht a month ( 40 euros ) Viewers ????

• Like 2

What in the hell is your point? I thought everyone knew that in 1950 Detroit was screaming busy building autos and having all of the support systems there too, and over the decades 90% of those jobs were lost for reasons I won't state because it would be a politically charged, off topic statement.

Detroit is in ruins, the city is in bankruptcy proceedings as I write this, and it has nothing to do with race.

Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh were all busy in 1950. What happened to Detroit that didn't happen to Chicago and Pittsburgh? 3) Back in 1960, the city of Detroit actually had the highest per-capita income in the entire nation.

Edited by thailiketoo

Here's one in San Francisco where prices are outrageous for under $60,000

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/542-North-Pt-San-Francisco-CA-94133/2105362436_zpid/

Something not right about that. That house was built in 2005? Maybe a zero is missing from the price. If not, there has to be some sort of caveat.

Several other that don't sound right. $167,450 for 1.740 sq. feet with 4 bedrooms and three bathrooms.

sounds like what they call a bait and switch in the confidence games.

Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh were all busy in 1950. What happened to Detroit that didn't happen to Chicago and Pittsburgh? 3) Back in 1960, the city of Detroit actually had the highest per-capita income in the entire nation.

Are you trying to make some racist point? What is your point?

In 1950 Detroit ruled the world in auto manufacturing. There were the big 3 plus some others such a Jeep and Studebaker and even others.

Today the best selling car in America is the Toyota Camry, made in Georgetown, Kentucky.

All of the auto related manufacturing jobs in Michigan are union. All of the jobs that have left for Southern states are non-union.

Detroit lost 90% of its auto manufacturing jobs and with that went the support jobs and the taxes to support the government. Detroit built in high wages and benefits including retirement benefits for its government employees which it can't pay and is now in bankruptcy. How does any area withstand going from 300,000 middle class union jobs to 30,000 while overloading itself with obligations and survive?

Chicago and Pittsburgh transformed themselves into major financial centers and service centers and are surviving. Detroit failed to adjust.

What the hell do you want?

• Like 2

In 1950 Detroit ruled the world in auto manufacturing. There were the big 3 plus some others such a Jeep and Studebaker and even others.

Today the best selling car in America is the Toyota Camry, made in Georgetown, Kentucky.

All of the auto related manufacturing jobs in Michigan are union. All of the jobs that have left for Southern states are non-union.

Detroit lost 90% of its auto manufacturing jobs and with that went the support jobs and the taxes to support the government. Detroit built in high wages and benefits including retirement benefits for its government employees which it can't pay and is now in bankruptcy. How does any area withstand going from 300,000 middle class union jobs to 30,000 while overloading itself with obligations and survive?

Chicago and Pittsburgh transformed themselves into major financial centers and service centers and are surviving. Detroit failed to adjust.

http://www.unions.org/unions/kentucky/17/united-auto-workers/38 (18 UAW unions in Kentucky including UAW Local 2164 Corvette plant.)

Check out the Unions in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Auto_Workers_local_unions

Or? Does Toyota pay more than the UAW?

I'm not saying Detroit had race problems outside of the race riots in 1967 that killed hundreds but if you want to find out what happened in Detroit you might ask someone who lived there when it went from the highest per capita income in the USA to one of the lowest.

Coleman A. Young ran the city into ruin during a record 20 years. Thirty years of Black mayors have done wonders for Atlanta it just didn't happen in Detroit.

I have lived all over Thailand and have never been as afraid as in the USA at - google, "25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in USA." Of course it's not a race problem but you might want to also google the demographics of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods before you move or think you have a good deal on a home.

Edited by thailiketoo

http://www.unions.org/unions/kentucky/17/united-auto-workers/38 (18 UAW unions in Kentucky including UAW Local 2164 Corvette plant.)

Check out the Unions in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Auto_Workers_local_unions

Or? Does Toyota pay more than the UAW?

I'm not saying Detroit had race problems outside of the race riots in 1967 that killed hundreds but if you want to find out what happened in Detroit you might ask someone who lived there when it went from the highest per capita income in the USA to one of the lowest.

Coleman A. Young ran the city into ruin during a record 20 years. Thirty years of Black mayors have done wonders for Atlanta it just didn't happen in Detroit.

I have lived all over Thailand and have never been as afraid as in the USA at - google, "25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods." Of course it's not a race problem but you might want to also google the demographics of the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods before you move or think you have a good deal on a home.

You are a racist and you finally came right out and said it. Your list of most dangerous cities won't cut it. Get out of those inner cities and into the suburbs where dad washes the car and mows the lawn on Saturday while mom takes the kids to skating lessons.

Race demographics don't matter. There are black school teachers and doctors and nurses and college professors - all just wanting to live. There is plenty of white trash hanging out in ghettos in the cities. Stay away from the bad areas and find the areas that have pride of ownership with good upkeep, and you'll do fine.

You are a racist and you finally came right out and said it. Your list of most dangerous cities won't cut it. Get out of those inner cities and into the suburbs where dad washes the car and mows the lawn on Saturday while mom takes the kids to skating lessons.

Race demographics don't matter. There are black school teachers and doctors and nurses and college professors - all just wanting to live. There is plenty of white trash hanging out in ghettos in the cities. Stay away from the bad areas and find the areas that have pride of ownership with good upkeep, and you'll do fine.

You can call me anything you want. I just wrote if you are looking for a home it would be a good idea to google "the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the USA." I didn't say anything about cities I said neighborhoods.

I read somewhere Medford OR was great place to live except on the weekends when the loggers came to town (I'm sure it's different now). Is that racist too? Some places are dangerous others not. I've never found this to be the case in Thailand. When I first came to Thailand I used to go to Khlong Toi. People told me it was dangerous but it never made the hair stand up on the back of my neck like East St. Louis. Some people feel it necessary to have concealed weapons permits in the USA (and I can see why). I've never felt the need for that in Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Color has nothing to do with this. It's all about safety. I know that area fairly well. My brother lives in Flag and I've been in Phoenix dozens and dozens of times. It's one of the high crime areas in Phonenix, and the city itself ranks high for crime based on other cities of it's size in the US.

Crime is a factor in any city you visit. The Morgan Quitno survey ranks Phoenix as #10 in a list of the 10 most dangerous cities in the United States for populations of more than 500,000 based on 2003 data compiled by the FBI.

Based on the June 2010 CARU report, the highest property crime area is in the Alhambra district. The majority of crimes occurred between 19th and 7th Avenues, and the area extends to about one-half mile on both sides of West Bethany Home Road. Interestingly, just two miles south of Bethany Home Road to Indian School Road, between 19th and 27th Avenues, is the highest density of reported violent crimes. This does include the area near Christown Spectrum Mall (1703 W. Bethany Home Road, (602) 249-0670) and Solano Park. If you travel there, just be vigilant.

West Phoenix, roughly between Indian School Road and I-10 tends to rank very high in the number of crimes that are reported. Gang activity is one reason for this. This area leads in the number of violent crimes reported. Homicide and aggravated assault are major threats that make this neighborhood one of the scary places in Phoenix. In 2009, CARU reported a total of 8,732 violent crimes for the city.

If you are going to travel frequently in the inner city, you'll want to keep an eye out for the Central City area of town, especially Thomas Road. There is a smattering of violent crime hot spots as you travel eastbound on Thomas Road starting near the Interstate 17 intersection, followed by the 7th Avenue intersection (near Encanto Park), and then between 32nd and 40th Avenues. When unsure, just stay clear.

The areas outside central Phoenix are great. My favorite is Sedona. An absolutely amazing place to visit. I've spent a lot of time in Havasu, Parker, and Page, where my brother use to live. The Colorado river and grand canyon are fantastic. Can't wait to go back and visit again!

The home in question is not in West Phoenix...the streets start on the east side of Central Ave, and count up. So technically it is East, but so close to Central, it is actually called "Midtown," and is home to one of the top private golf courses in the US, which would still host the Phoenix open, but there was just not enough parking for the crowds that exceed 120,000. That home is a 10 minute walk to the 3 billion dollar light rail system....anyways, I held it for almost exactly two years, and sold it myself for 1.4 million thb, and had the buyer paying me 8% until he paid me off, 9 months later. During my stay there, I made 580 thb per hour part time, which isn't perfect...but no rent to pay.....no debt.

Sedona is a tourist trap, pure and simple, quite beautiful..ok to visit, but people who relocate there find themselves in horrible employment predicaments. I also lived on the river in Bullhead City....bought a furnished condo from a dead man's kids for 26,000 usd, and worked a a part time teacher; full time gambler....just about the white trash capital of the free world.

Flagstaff is all style, no substance...nice university for those who can't get into U of A or ASU....but terrible wages and high rent. Santa Cruz County is probably the best, with about a perfect elevation of 4000 ft +/-. No A/c needed, and still plenty warm. Duty free shopping at the border, too. Very low food prices down there...saw red grapes at 35 thb per KG a few months ago. See what they have to say about that at Wororat Market.

• Like 1

The home in question is not in West Phoenix...the streets start on the east side of Central Ave, and count up. So technically it is East, but so close to Central, it is actually called "Midtown," and is home to one of the top private golf courses in the US, which would still host the Phoenix open, but there was just not enough parking for the crowds that exceed 120,000. That home is a 10 minute walk to the 3 billion dollar light rail system....anyways, I held it for almost exactly two years, and sold it myself for 1.4 million thb, and had the buyer paying me 8% until he paid me off, 9 months later. During my stay there, I made 580 thb per hour part time, which isn't perfect...but no rent to pay.....no debt.

Sedona is a tourist trap, pure and simple, quite beautiful..ok to visit, but people who relocate there find themselves in horrible employment predicaments. I also lived on the river in Bullhead City....bought a furnished condo from a dead man's kids for 26,000 usd, and worked a a part time teacher; full time gambler....just about the white trash capital of the free world.

Flagstaff is all style, no substance...nice university for those who can't get into U of A or ASU....but terrible wages and high rent. Santa Cruz County is probably the best, with about a perfect elevation of 4000 ft +/-. No A/c needed, and still plenty warm. Duty free shopping at the border, too. Very low food prices down there...saw red grapes at 35 thb per KG a few months ago. See what they have to say about that at Wororat Market.

Really? ASU and U of A are somewhat selective now? Things change I guess. There was a time when any HS graduate in the US could get into ASU or U of A.

Don't the Mexican drug cartels run Santa Cruz county? Isn't this the area where the Governor asked Obama for federal help (as in law enforcement officers) to drive the cartel out of the National Forest and back to Mexico, but got "Americans Keep Out" signs instead?

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

Seems many come from the perfect country to live in the most imperfect country and keep on whining.

Hence 'whining' I consider a luxury.

whistling.gif

Driven here by lack of pussy,

USA is great if you are gay, or no longer sexually active.

Well, I don't know where you've been hangin' out, but American women are some of the most loose and willing-to-try-anything females anywhere on the globe.

Until you marry one, of course.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Really? ASU and U of A are somewhat selective now? Things change I guess. There was a time when any HS graduate in the US could get into ASU or U of A.

Don't the Mexican drug cartels run Santa Cruz county? Isn't this the area where the Governor asked Obama for federal help (as in law enforcement officers) to drive the cartel out of the National Forest and back to Mexico, but got "Americans Keep Out" signs instead?

Acceptance rate at U of A, 77%........ASU, 80%....NAU, 91%.....UNLV, 88.2%......UC Boulder 88%....Drug Cartels? it would be singular, as in "cartel." And yes, Obama has done a disgraceful job of securing the border, but the high concentration of Law Enforcement in Nogales give it very safe streets.....show me one case of a tourist getting robbed in Nogales, Arizona and it is one of the top five tourist destinations in the state.

front yard.....moonrise

back yard

front yard

post-37570-0-99035800-1410697724_thumb.j

post-37570-0-64786000-1410697738_thumb.j

post-37570-0-97583700-1410697753_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander