Kawasaki unveiling some new Ninja

mania

They're saying it will be supercharged, not turbo-charged- if that's the case, lag will not be an issue.

Then there will be other disadvantages. A supercharger robs engine power more than a turbo.

Superchargers are more reliable though.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see but Kawa aren't doing anything to the ZX10R because they are already taking orders for the 30th Anniversary 2015 Edition.

Only change is a white stripe and a 30th stamp. Considering it's already pumping out close to 200rwbhp with mods along with the BMW I don't really know how these bikes can be improved except to make them lighter and thinner.

I like this bit:

Hidden in the website is the following phrase: “The Ninja H2 was not designed with meeting regulations a primary concern. Kawasaki’s latest flagship is the result of a pure exercise in pushing the limits of motorcycle technology with the goal of creating the ideal road sports bike.”

I am hoping it will be a 750-ish cc bike designed to take on the litre class bikes. As much as more capacity means huge power, I would still be all for something that is very race orientated at a smaller capacity.

They're saying it will be supercharged, not turbo-charged- if that's the case, lag will not be an issue.

They also mentioned a sort of transmission for the supercharger; something I touched upon earlier. Variable vane technology is pretty exciting, but introduces a lot of possible issues and would be pretty maintenance intensive.

If it's only a 2 stage 'transmission' there will be a point where the turbine's rpm will drop enough to be noticeable...unless there's some sort of free-wheeling system built in. A CVT style 'transmission' with a properly engineered (computer controlled?) blow-off valve would allow essentially instantaneous full power regardless of the engine speed as it could be set up to be constantly spinning at the most efficient speed for that turbine.

I'm interested in it from the tech spec...but know I could never give such a bike justice and am to (ahem) frugal to drop that much money on a bike.

A sneak peek

I forget which blurb I saw it in but Kawasaki said it was not that J concept & not a concept

bike at all but reality

One or two things that did make me wonder is.....

They said this...

"The Ninja H2 was not designed with meeting regulations a primary concern"

So it is not a race class fitting bike. Meaning not a SBK or MotoGP class sized bike 250/600/1000 etc.

Secondly the "H2" designation makes me wonder if it is hinting at cylinder configuration

Some super charged hyper 750/800 twin?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not the new one but Chiangmai Kawasaki just posted this ZX-6R 636 30th anniversary blurb

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=693945727380349&set=vb.143161362458791&type=2&theater

i think they will start to sell zx10r and zx636 in Thailand soon. hope not restricted like before!

hope thaty with all my heart at least! with a reasonable price of course, aye Kawa?

A sneak peek

I forget which blurb I saw it in but Kawasaki said it was not that J concept & not a concept

bike at all but reality

One or two things that did make me wonder is.....

They said this...

So it is not a race class fitting bike. Meaning not a SBK or MotoGP class sized bike 250/600/1000 etc.

Secondly the "H2" designation makes me wonder if it is hinting at cylinder configuration

Some super charged hyper 750/800 twin?

it will be either twin or inline four. but to open up space for turbo, they might go for a twin.

it will be in the same line with kawa 650, a sport tourer i guess. exciting, 28 more days to go!

I hope this does not mean, it will be a show model ridden in tracks etc!

it sounds like inline four.

still hoping for a 500cc inline four supercharged kawa at 150 kg - 150 hp. c'mon kawa!

or 750 cc inline four sport tourer at 150 hp at least.

Agreed a 150bhp Cafe Racer or Streetfighter lightweight bike would be a market killer but what would happen to the Z1000?

it sounds like inline four.

still hoping for a 500cc inline four supercharged kawa at 150 kg - 150 hp. c'mon kawa!

or 750 cc inline four sport tourer at 150 hp at least.

Agreed a 150bhp Cafe Racer or Streetfighter lightweight bike would be a market killer but what would happen to the Z1000?

if that is the case, we will not miss z1000 surelaugh.png

if ninja, it will be faired.

When can I see a hybrid diesel bike?

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Maybe it will be a supercharged 4 cylinder meant to take on the Hayabusa since that is out of the norm but still considered a sport bike.

Probably not what most of us here need.

^

Kawi has already surpassed the Hayabusa, and they've announced the 2015 ZX-14R already so it's unlikely this new engine will be a big-bore replacement (though I hope it is, but I can't see why Kawi would bother at this point as they're currently leading the small open-class segment of the market, and another similar bike would dilute sales rather than improve them, IMHO). They might be trying to start a new trend of smaller, lighter, more powerful supercharged engines.

They might be trying to start a new trend of smaller, lighter, more powerful supercharged engines.

I think many manufacturers of both cars and bikes will be going down this road.

Smaller cubic inch (or centimeter) engines with a forced induction of some type.

Best of both worlds - good fuel economy due to less displacement, and the ability to do the work of much larger displacement normally aspirated engines.

Makes the old saw "There's no replacement for displacement" somewhat archaic.

But still nothing like the power delivery of a large cubic inch engine - that sudden thrust forward at low rpm.

huge power delivery with a supercharger or turbo on a straight line is something and arranging the throttle and engine finesse at the corners is another.

if no balance between them, product suffers.

I agree with most comments, world does not need another low cc zx14r variant with a supercharger.

world needs light but powerful bikes with a supercharger that consumes less petrol, resources plus light and manageable.

i believe, a light inline four not more than 750 cc with turbocharger is coming.

cannot wait to see it at the end of this month as it might be a paradigm changing bike!

^

Kawi has already surpassed the Hayabusa, and they've announced the 2015 ZX-14R already so it's unlikely this new engine will be a big-bore replacement (though I hope it is, but I can't see why Kawi would bother at this point as they're currently leading the small open-class segment of the market, and another similar bike would dilute sales rather than improve them, IMHO). They might be trying to start a new trend of smaller, lighter, more powerful supercharged engines.

I totally forgot about the ZX14R, my bad.

I have no idea what's coming then, my anticipation is high now.

I doubt it will be anything close to a 'tourer', although it may be the start of some well-overdue innovation in the smaller capacity race-rep. category??

I am no expert on forced induction, but it sounds like a turbo blow-off valve to me. And I agree about the variable geometry tech - it seems to work pretty well on the LR Disco 4 where they get 600nm from a D3.0lt (haven't googled to see how they actually work however).

From the 'sound' video, it sounds like the gearing is very road orientated and the engine doesn't sound as big as one litre, but sounds bigger than 600cc....hmmm....I wonder what they are up to because this type of power delivery might be similar to a 2-stroke??

Not positive of course but it sounds small displacement to my ears

Also the chirping of course we assume to be some sort of valve but it is tied so closely to the shifts both up & down

I almost wonder if it is a bit of a trick question.

Meaning we & probably most assume it is turbo/super-charger related sound but I wonder if maybe it could be tranny related

Will see tomorrow has another installment

Kind of fun how they are keeping it pretty tight lipped in these days of instant info leaks for most things

Yamaha did similar recently with their R25

Kawasaki has never been afraid to make horsepower- maybe they finally found a suitable platform for this engine:

kawasaki-teases-the-upcoming-ninja-h2-is

That looks brutally fast and powerful just sitting there all by itself!

Or.....how about a new take on the opposed 4 cyl "boxer" style. Like early Gold Wing engine, only up to date?

Archived