'We have done nothing wrong' says former Phuket mayor

webfact

'We have done nothing wrong' says former Phuket mayor
Saran Mitrarat

1409658901_1-org.jpg
Pian Keesin speaks at this afternoon' press conference.

PHUKET: -- Members of the Keesin family today denied any wrongdoing. Released at 3am on bail from police custody, the family staged a press conference this afternoon at the large house behind the offices of the family company, Pisona.

The house was one of the first places to be searched by police last Thursday (August 28) when they launched mass raids across Patong, looking for 83 people they had arrest warrants for, along with any evidence of wrongdoing.

The space in front of the house was jammed with reporters, well-wishers and staff of Pisona and hotels owned by the family as the press conference got underway.

“I surrendered voluntarily and was well treated by the police,” said the town’s former mayor, Pian Keesin, head of the family. “But I am very curious why they think we must be Ang Yi [Triad gangsters].

“Everyone knows where I am – I have not been hiding. I’ve never actually lived here [in this house]. I live in a house in Phuket Town.

“Normally, I wake up early and go to my farm. I didn’t know that the police planned to raid my house. That’s why I wasn’t at home,” he said.

He said that he felt let down that police did not invite him to come for questioning. “I am a polite person. If they called me, for sure I would have gone. There was no need for them to issue arrest warrants like this,” Mr Pian added.

“For me, jail is normal. It’s not the first time I have been inside,” he said with a smile.

“There are no problems in my relationship with Pol Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin [leader of the ‘mafia’ taxi investigation in Phuket]. We used to work together when he was Superintendent of Patong Police and I was the Mayor,” he explained.

“My only opponents are politicians,” he added, noting that police had also questioned him about the election campaign in the run-up to the most recent Patong mayoral poll, which he lost.

Asked about money, he said that he was not rich. “All of the money I have invested was borrowed from banks. But my opponents may want to damage the Keesin family’s credit rating,” Mr Pian explained.

Asked why he went to surrender at the Royal Thai Navy base in Cape Panwa and not the police station, he said, “I though that we are now under martial law. That’s why I decided to go there.”

Asked about two guns found during searches of property connected to him, he said that he had bought the shotgun found in his wife’s house to protect his durian farm from thieves, and a .38 pistol also found was given to him by the authorities when he was elected kamnan. It was rusty and had never been used, he said.

To raucous laughter he said, “The only gun I use is the water gun in my pocket.”

His son, Preechawut “Prap” Keesin, also said that he was so disappointed about being arrested. “I was not surprised but I was very disappointed because of all the support I have given to officials in the past,” he explained.

“I don’t understand why a person who brought taxi drivers to be registered, who set up a labour development centre, who supported the Patong Safety Zone project, and who rented space at Junceylon to run a taxi service with very little benefit to himself should now be branded as Ang Yi,” he complained.

Asked why he had not surrendered in Phuket, he said, “I went to Bangkok on August 25 for a conference and I couldn’t get the flight back in time because of traffic problems caused by heavy rain.

“During that time I received so many phone calls that my battery died. After that, I was advised by my lawyer to surrender at any police station nearby,” he added.

Asked about a list of business names with numbers against them, which police showed to the press yesterday, implying that it was a list of monthly collections, he denied this was the case. “It was just a research document,” he said.

“I am a kind of person who like to do research and the paper they found is about my research into corruption in Patong. All of the information in the list was entered by me; it was a list of basic assumptions I had made.”

Calling an end to the press conference, Mr Pian said, “Respectfully and sincerely, I would like to thank all the media and everybody else for listening to me and for following the case.

“I also thank the police for giving us a chance for a legal battle. We have done nothing wrong and we are not Ang Yi.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/we-have-done-nothing-wrong-says-former-phuket-mayor-48537.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-09-03

Full text of the speech, (very) loosely translated from Thai:
"We have done nothing wrong. Today. We might have done bad things in the past, in fact that's a given, but the past is the past and it's long gone and forgotten about and there is certainly nothing to be gained or learned from it.
Today, right at this moment, I am humble and penitent, tomorrow, who knows. I urge all fellow Thai's to respect the rule of law, not to allow your common decency and integrity to be corrupted, not to allow corruption and greed to rule your lives and most importantly to be a good person that does things for the benefit of ALL Thai's, not just simply to increase our own personal wealth and power.
Of course, we have done none of those things, but I say again, TODAY, we have done nothing wrong. I thank you for your time and hope that ALL Thai's can forget the past and judge us on the moment.
Finally, I hope that we are given a fair chance at trial, even though we (as a family) rarely were fair to others in our personal and business dealings. We are not greedy people, really, merely misunderstood, as we thought it was common practice here in Thailand for those with more power or influence to take from those with less. It's our right after all, isn't it?"
[ satire ] wai.gif
  • Like 1

There are no problems in my relationship with Pol Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin [leader of the ‘mafia’ taxi investigation in Phuket]. We used to work together when he was Superintendent of Patong Police and I was the Mayor,” he explained.

I stopped reading at this point.....There you have it folks. Anyone suprised?coffee1.gif coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

• Like 2

“For me, jail is normal. It’s not the first time I have been inside,” he said with a smile.

...wanna see my tats?

“I was not surprised but I was very disappointed (about being arrested) because of all the support I have given to officials in the past,”

...translation not required.

“During that time I received so many phone calls that my battery died. After that, I was advised by my lawyer to surrender at any police station nearby,”

...had to use a phone booth, no change and the lawyer's number is on the dead mobile - a true nightmare!

"Members of the Keesin family today denied any wrongdoing."

But wait a minute, let me contradict myself;

“For me, jail is normal. It’s not the first time I have been inside,” he said with a smile."

“But I am very curious why they think we must be Ang Yi [Triad gangsters]."blink.png

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

“...all the support I have given to officials in the past,” he explained.”

Just keep talking meathead. Your arrogance got you to this point, and your arrogance will bury you.wai2.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

The taxi drivers all claim they have had to pay lots of money under the table to be allowed to drive a taxi in Phuket/Patong. It could of course be they are all lying, but in case they are not, I wonder if Preechawut “Prap” Keesin knows who they paid all that money to? My guess is the details are in his "research papers" biggrin.png

• Like 1

"Members of the Keesin family today denied any wrongdoing."

But wait a minute, let me contradict myself;

“For me, jail is normal. It’s not the first time I have been inside,” he said with a smile."

“But I am very curious why they think we must be Ang Yi [Triad gangsters]."blink.png

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

“...all the support I have given to officials in the past,” he explained.”

Just keep talking meathead. Your arrogance got you to this point, and your arrogance will bury you.wai2.gifwai.gif

One can only hope and pray for accountability. The bottom line is, has Phuket ever had a straight, honest mayor, that did not steal, and cheat to get super rich? Has this ever happened? Will it ever happen? In most instances a crime must be proven. Evidence must be obtained, in order to pronounce guilt. In Thailand, perhaps all you have to do is look at the office the man held, to determine if he is guilty. If he held a powerful position, he is most likely guilty!

"We have done nothing wrong. Today. We might have done bad things in the past, in fact that's a given, but the past is the past and it's long gone and forgotten about and there is certainly nothing to be gained or learned from it.
Today, right at this moment, I am humble and penitent, tomorrow, who knows. I urge all fellow Thai's to respect the rule of law, not to allow your common decency and integrity to be corrupted, not to allow corruption and greed to rule your lives and most importantly to be a good person that does things for the benefit of ALL Thai's, not just simply to increase our own personal wealth and power.
Of course, we have done none of those things, but I say again, TODAY, we have done nothing wrong. I thank you for your time and hope that ALL Thai's can forget the past and judge us on the moment.
Finally, I hope that we are given a fair chance at trial, even though we (as a family) rarely were fair to others in our personal and business dealings. We are not greedy people, really, merely misunderstood, as we thought it was common practice here in Thailand for those with more power or influence to take from those with less. It's our right after all, isn't it?"
[ satire ] wai.gif

Reading this speech gives one a complete understanding of 'Thainess' in the eyes of the Keesin clan. They are saying that whilst we have been bad boys in the past, you can only judge us as we are TODAY, sitting here on bail under the close scrutiny of the Junta, Police etc. It's like asking for the past to be whitewashed, no matter the gravity of the crimes, because as of TODAY we say we are going to be good boys from now on. If found guilty of whatever crime(s) they'll still be pleading "it wasn't me guv".

• Like 1

[ satire ] wai.gif

Reading this speech gives one a complete understanding of 'Thainess' in the eyes of the Keesin clan. They are saying that whilst we have been bad boys in the past, you can only judge us as we are TODAY, sitting here on bail under the close scrutiny of the Junta, Police etc. It's like asking for the past to be whitewashed, no matter the gravity of the crimes, because as of TODAY we say we are going to be good boys from now on. If found guilty of whatever crime(s) they'll still be pleading "it wasn't me guv".

Joe - the "speech" as written was satirical (I.e. I made it up), but you are correct they will deny all wrongdoing until the water buffalo come home to roost.

[ satire ] wai.gif

Joe - the "speech" as written was satirical (I.e. I made it up), but you are correct they will deny all wrongdoing until the water buffalo come home to roost.

Satire or not, your script does have a definite similarity to what was uttered by the accused!!

[ satire ] wai.gif

Satire or not, your script does have a definite similarity to what was uttered by the accused!!

As I'm sure you know, when you've been here a few years, it's not hard to know what they will do and say in these situations. Deny, deny some more, possibly sue for libel/defamation and keep on denying and blaming others ... a la Thaksin.

• Like 1

There are no problems in my relationship with Pol Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin [leader of the ‘mafia’ taxi investigation in Phuket]. We used to work together when he was Superintendent of Patong Police and I was the Mayor,” he explained.

I stopped reading at this point.....There you have it folks. Anyone suprised?coffee1.gif coffee1.gif coffee1.gif

Gen Paween also stated in the Phuket Gazette that he is ONLY interested in investigating the "Patong tuk tuk/taxi mafia" allegations.

So who is undertaking the investigation into alleged corrupt activities such as signing off land deals, skimming public funds, receiving payments for "other services" etc?

Gen Paween also stated in the Phuket Gazette that he is ONLY interested in investigating the "Patong tuk tuk/taxi mafia" allegations.

So who is undertaking the investigation into alleged corrupt activities such as signing off land deals, skimming public funds, receiving payments for "other services" etc?

Very troubling when you see a police Gen say they won't look into police corruption. Seeing as how this guy was here for 7 months, he is well aware of what his colleagues in brown get up to. Someone needs to investigate the investigators.

• Like 1

Why are people confusing 'it is not in my orders to investigate that' with 'that is not being investigated'?

Easy to understand the confusion for a number of reasons IMO.

The first being that the statement, "it is not in my orders to investigate that" is ambiguous because it could mean that it is not being investigated at all? Furthermore why would a police force which is supposed to uphold law and order only be focusing on one area when many others need investigating.

There is further cause for suspicion, because the head of the investigation once worked with the person being investigated and it is common knowledge here that graft is not only the domain of the person being investigated, but also of the BIB................i.e. inextricably intertwined.

Taking a broader view, if indeed there was another investigation being undertaken by other parties covering "other activities", then the interchange of information between these parties could well be compromised.

And if to confuse matters even further, well "TIT", and corruption is endemic and accepted, so just how much effort will be put in by possibly related parties in seeing that justice is done?

Why are people confusing 'it is not in my orders to investigate that' with 'that is not being investigated'?

The first being that the statement, "it is not in my orders to investigate that" is ambiguous because it could mean that it is not being investigated at all? Furthermore why would a police force which is supposed to uphold law and order only be focusing on one area when many others need investigating.

There is further cause for suspicion, because the head of the investigation once worked with the person being investigated and it is common knowledge here that graft is not only the domain of the person being investigated, but also of the BIB................i.e. inextricably intertwined.

Taking a broader view, if indeed there was another investigation being undertaken by other parties covering "other activities", then the interchange of information between these parties could well be compromised.

And if to confuse matters even further, well "TIT", and corruption is endemic and accepted, so just how much effort will be put in by possibly related parties in seeing that justice is done?

Sorry, but no.

It is not in my orders to investigate does not mean it is not being investigated, it means it is not investigate by him (unless he disobeys orders).

They are only focusing on one area because they are a task force, tasked with this one objective. A task force of 13 people I think I read.

The rest of your argument is pure conjecture.

Edited by stevenl

Sorry, but no.

It is not in my orders to investigate does not mean it is not being investigated, it means he does not investigate (unless he disobeys orders).

They are only focusing on one area because they are a task force, tasked with this one objective. A task force of 13 people I think I read.

The rest of your argument is pure conjecture.

No problem, you have your opinion and I have mine.

As for the rest being pure conjecture, if indeed you want to call it that, the problem being that "this conjecture" has it's basis in fact.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phukets-taxi-mafia-only-target-says-Region/34792

Region 8 Police Deputy Commander Paween Pongsirin today affirmed that his officers’ mandate was to crack down on Phuket’s taxi mafia, not to tackle any corrupt activities allegedly perpetrated by the island's police officers.

“My specific orders are to crack down on Phuket’s taxi mafia,” Maj Gen Paween said.

What was stated is that is the task he was assigned is Taxi mafia. No one is looking into corruption at the local govt level.

No one will either as the chain of money cannot be interrupted. I submit Pian wasn't paying the right people, and that is why he finds himself in hot water- not any criminal behavior.

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1

^ Agree The Royal Thai police are the root of Thailand's corruption problem. Do we hear any noises about reforming them?

Do we hear any noises about making components of such a conversation legal? Just the opposite- speech has been criminalized even further than it was.