Do-It-Yourself Retirement Extension Questions

sante

I'm seriously considering renewing my retirement extension this month without an agent. I don't mind paying for help--avoidance of an extended visit to the hot & crowded Immigration is worth the cost to me--but after reading a post from someone who recently had to wait 3 hours even with an agent, that extra expenditure seems senseless now. Especially since the agent's office is across town, probably as far or even further than Immigration.

So, what's necessary to take to the interview? I've spent the past hour searching TV but most of the information is dated and I want to make sure I bring the necessary documents specific to CM Immigration. I'm surprised there isn't a pinned topic here. Also, because no appointment slots are available, I guess I'll have to arrive very early and reconcile myself to a long wait. Is 8 am early enough or do I have to make a dawn pilgrimage? I intend to avoid Mondays and Fridays and will go mid week. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

I was in there yesterday did 2 retirement visas, 2 re- entry and 1 x 90 days in less than 3 hours.

However,I did have an online appointment.

Spoke to one guy who had gone there for retirement visa at 5.30am. and with the heavy rain everything had turned to chaos with tickets eventually being incorrectly issued.he had just gone in when we left.

There were quite a number of people there with agents, quite strange as I thought all those using them say they don't have to go? And they were sitting around for some time.

Hi Sante,Just do it yourself,its not difficult,and after first one,

the next ones will be easier still.

First you have to make sure you have 800,000 THB in a bank

for at least 2 months for the first extension,

You need to copy all pages of your passport(i find its best to

do it this way,as if you have any pages they don't want will return

to you)but if you miss one you have to go to the copy shop.you

need a letter from your bank,saying you have 800K in the bank

you need copies of pages and your bank book,and your account

must be updated to no more than 7 days before,(and before you

make copies),i usually do mine day before.

You need to fill in your extension form,with one photo,i also give them

map of where i live (not necessary but they could ask),and copy of

contract from your landlord,if renting,

You need to get there soon in morning,6 i would say,first to get a ticket

and also parking if you have a car,the cost is THB 1,900.

Think thats it,but will be corrected on here if i have missed anything.

good luck,regards Worgeordie PS if you are going the pension route

instead of cash in bank,that will vary depending on where you are from.

Learn to use the online booking in the future and then it's just about grief free.

Most of our time there was waiting for the passports to be signed off, nearly 1.5 hours. But enjoyed a coffee and played with the IPad.

I topped up with fuel at the garage across the road and parking was free, otherwise it's only THB20

Edited by Thailand

There more info about which forms, photos, copies, documents, etc at ThaiVisa.com visa forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/ Because the documentation requirements are pretty much uniform across Thailand. The only "kicker" I've seen here is sometimes they require you to copy every Thai visa extension, not just the most recent and every page in your bankbook, not just the past year's.

As for info that's unique to Chiang Mai -- arrive early, very early. 6 am isn't too early. Have the documents done in advance because they'll check them over shortly after you arrive to be sure you've got your act together before they issue you a queue number.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi Sante,Just do it yourself,its not difficult,and after first one,

the next ones will be easier still.

First you have to make sure you have 800,000 THB in a bank

for at least 2 months for the first extension,

You need to copy all pages of your passport(i find its best to

do it this way,as if you have any pages they don't want will return

to you)but if you miss one you have to go to the copy shop.you

need a letter from your bank,saying you have 800K in the bank

you need copies of pages and your bank book,and your account

must be updated to no more than 7 days before,(and before you

make copies),i usually do mine day before.

You need to fill in your extension form,with one photo,i also give them

map of where i live (not necessary but they could ask),and copy of

contract from your landlord,if renting,

and also parking if you have a car,the cost is THB 1,900.

Think thats it,but will be corrected on here if i have missed anything.

good luck,regards Worgeordie PS if you are going the pension route

instead of cash in bank,that will vary depending on where you are from.

The one warning I would add is to make sure the bank book and the letter have the same balance. I have heard of cases where they did not match and they were both over 800,000 baht but the immigration officer made them go to a bank and match them up. Maybe the officer was in a bad mood. But I have heard of several cases where this happened and one where they accepted the differences.

• Like 1

Has anyone experience of arriving later ... after lunch? I don't mind arriving at 6am but I am no good in Q ... always give way and not able to hold my place.

Last time I did it two years ago - even though I was there very early - the second person to arrive - I lost my place and was jostled about and felt so bad.

And the Q system is full.

Has anyone experience of arriving later ... after lunch? I don't mind arriving at 6am but I am no good in Q ... always give way and not able to hold my place.

Last time I did it two years ago - even though I was there very early - the second person to arrive - I lost my place and was jostled about and felt so bad.

In June of this year I got there about 13:45 as I recall. Was out of there in about 95 minutes. (Would have been out sooner but had to wait 65 minutes just to get my passport back). No appointment. Last June I got there about 7:50 as I recall. I was on my way by 10:30. No appointment. June is typically a quiet month at Immigration. If I was told I had to go there at 5:00 or 6:00 for my extension, I would never be able to do it. I would get an agent to do it for me.

@Worgeordie,

I do my extensions here in CM and have never been asked for either a map or a copy of my lease. Is that a new requirement or do you just do it out of caution?

David

I've been asked for it each year for the last 6 years.

Edit: My rental agreement, not a map.

Edited by elektrified

@Worgeordie,

I do my extensions here in CM and have never been asked for either a map or a copy of my lease. Is that a new requirement or do you just do it out of caution?

David

Guess I'll have to get a new lease then just to be safe. Mine has been expired during my last two renewals so I guess it is a good thing they didn't ask.

David

In June of this year I got there about 13:45 as I recall. Was out of there in about 95 minutes. (Would have been out sooner but had to wait 65 minutes just to get my passport back). No appointment. Last June I got there about 7:50 as I recall. I was on my way by 10:30. No appointment. June is typically a quiet month at Immigration. If I was told I had to go there at 5:00 or 6:00 for my extension, I would never be able to do it. I would get an agent to do it for me.

I seriously doubt you were doing a retirement extension in Chiang Mai. It probably was either a tourist visa extension in Chiang Mai or a retirement extension in another province. Or maybe you had an appointment. Please come clean and don't mislead a newbie. There is no way someone can show up at 13:45 and expect to be out of there in 95 minutes. No way. I'll lay money on it. Not in Chiang Mai for a retirement extension without an appointment.

You'll need:

TM7 filled out, signed and with your phone number added below signature. Best to print it out on both sides of a single sheet of paper.

4 x 6 cm recent photo (they'll reject it if it's the same photo you used last year)

Baht 1900

Passport

Photocopies of:

passport identity page,

all prior extension stamps

original visa you used to enter the country and entry stamp

departure card (TM 6)

All photocopies need to be signed to show you are claiming they are true copies.

Original income affidavit from your embassy and/or original letter from your bank manager if you are using bank balance as part of your proof of finances.

Good idea to bring along bank book & photocopies of pages even if you are using the income option.

Some proof of your address ... they want this from some people, but I've never been asked for it at Jomtien. Different offices have different views on this.

Download TM.7 here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/7-tm7-extension-of-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-application-form/

@Worgeordie,

David

Hi David i do it out of caution,its a requirement in some other Immigration offices,

they never return them ,saying they don't require them,like the Boy Scouts best

be prepared for everything,

regards Worgeordie

@Worgeordie,

David

Guess I'll have to get a new lease then just to be safe. Mine has been expired during my last two renewals so I guess it is a good thing they didn't ask.

David

I like you have never been asked but there have been posters saying they were so I take a current copy with me. Still not asked but why take the chance. I also carry the papers showing proof of my monthly income and have never been asked for them. Even tried to show them one year and they said no. Just like to have my bases covered when I walk in there. The affidavit from my consulate has always been good enough.

Was it a retirement extension you were doing? Just asking because of NancyL response. She thinks it may have been some other type of visa.

There was a similar conversation back in late March 2014. If interested, see http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713310-how-many-hours-at-immigration-without-appointment/

My experience doing it myself went like this:

Without an appointment or having another person or agency do the waiting for me I got my one-year extension this morning (March 31, 2014).

I was up at 5:15, and arrived at Immigration a couple minutes after 6. Already there were 8-10 people there, quietly sitting in place, waiting outside the door. Position yourself as close to the door as possible, because there's a mad rush when the door opens. Also be aware that the mosquitoes in the area can be vicious; be sure to have some repellant.

At about 7 the door opened and everyone was given a large, laminated queue number as they entered. I got #8.

Now that I was inside, it was time to wait some more, but, having gotten this far, it seemed like things were progressing well. At about 7:30 they began calling numbers in order to "triage" those waiting. This process involved showing your passport and explaining what service was needed today. The clerk then assigned a new number indicating the desk and number at that desk. Mine was #202, i.e., desk 200, customer #2. Looking good.

At 8:30 the work day began. Queue numbers lighted up over the desks, and business was underway. My number was called at about 8:50. Papers were checked, a couple of my signatures were required, payment was made, and I was told to return to the waiting area until my name was called.

And finally at around 9:15 my passport containing the new one-year extension was back in my hands, and I was on my way to breakfast.

Show up early, though, to make sure you can pull it off in one day and with the least amount of hassle. Having to endure the slight inconvenience of getting there early was not as bad as I had anticipated. And for the 5,000 baht saved by doing it myself rather than employing an agent, I figure I can enjoy quite a few good breakfasts during the coming year.

And, here is a listing of the documents that I needed:

Requirements for Non-Immigrant O Visa Extension

In Chiang Mai (other offices may have different requirements) the following need to be presented:

· Must be 50 years of age or older.

· Must have been granted a Non-Immigrant Visa earlier.

· One copy of Form TM-7 filled out on both sides. (A line or two left blank because I wasn’t sure how to answer presented no problem, and remained blank.)

· One photograph; may be pasted onto form.

· One copy each of various pertinent pages in your passport. Not the 90-day slip. Sign the photocopies.

· One photocopy of your Arrival/Departure TM card. Sign the photocopy.

· Proof of sufficient income. Must have evidence of no less than 65,000 baht per month, or funds on deposit in a Thailand bank of no less than 800,000 baht for the past 3 months. For USA citizens, proof can be documented with a notarized affidavit at the US Consulate for $50 or 1600 baht. No itemization or actual proof of the amount sworn to is required.

· Fee of 1900 baht.

Before leaving the desk, always be sure to verify the expiration date on the new visa.

Note: Neither a medical certificate nor documentation of residence is required for the one-year visa extension.

And, with all of this, your mileage might vary, of course.

Edited by MrBrad
  • Like 1

Apparently a lease or other proof of residence is required now. When contacting the agent I had used for my two previous retirement extensions, he told me I have to submit a lease or a letter from the owner stating I lived there. The letter has to include a copy of the owner's ID card. I wasn't asked for that residence proof in the past.

I am arriving in Chiang Mai on 10/17/14 with a non-imm O visa and will be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement sometime in the last 30 days of my 90 days permitted to stay. After I get the extension, I will have less then 90 days before I am due to depart Chiang Mai on 3/15/15. Will I have to do a 90 day report also to immigrations in Chiang Mai, and if so, any idea when?

I am arriving in Chiang Mai on 10/17/14 with a non-imm O visa and will be applying for an extension of stay based on retirement sometime in the last 30 days of my 90 days permitted to stay. After I get the extension, I will have less then 90 days before I am due to depart Chiang Mai on 3/15/15. Will I have to do a 90 day report also to immigrations in Chiang Mai, and if so, any idea when?

The "retirement" vis and 90 day reports are completely separate.

If you are arriving mid October your first 90 days will be from that arrival date with latitude of 14 days before to 7 days after due date. This will be in January 2015. If you are in Thailand for an additional 90 days prior to leaving then you will have to report again.

Also suggest you try and book an online appointment for your visa.

I seriously doubt you were doing a retirement extension in Chiang Mai. It probably was either a tourist visa extension in Chiang Mai or a retirement extension in another province. Or maybe you had an appointment. Please come clean and don't mislead a newbie. There is no way someone can show up at 13:45 and expect to be out of there in 95 minutes. No way. I'll lay money on it. Not in Chiang Mai for a retirement extension without an appointment.

I'm with Nancy on this one. That place is really jammed up these days, and without the magical online appointment, one must get there VERY early, and do the parking lot shuffle until they open, to get the opening number, so you can wait with the rest of the herd to get the REAL number. I have heard of fluke days, where one can saunter in late, get a number, in & out in no time, but for most of us, it's not that way. Maybe the OP is of of these rare people, a guy who knows a guy who knows THE GUY. In the mafia movies they call such a guy, "a friend of OURS."

I did mine last Friday, 9/5. I got there at 5:30 am and left around 9:30. If you get there at 5:00 am, you just might be #1. Next year I am going to try using their web site and make an appointment. Have all your paper work in order, and it's a piece of cake. I have been told that for a 1,000 baht, you can get a visa service to do 4: 90 day reports. Not a bad deal. For 4,500 baht, they will do your visa extension, so I was told.

Edited by BillyBobThai

I hate to tell you this bonney lad, but I'm afraid 5am is the new black judging by our experience there last month, and even then you might not be number 1 in the queue. sad.png

(In 5 years, our 3rd and thankfully last ever tourist extension. I can say with total honesty that I never would have believed that it would be possible for me to EVER be glad to reach the grand old age of 50 blink.png )

I did mine last Friday, 9/5. I got there at 5:30 am and left around 9:30. If you get there at 5:00 am, you just might be #1. Next year I am going to try using their web site and make an appointment. Have all your paper work in order, and it's a piece of cake. I have been told that for a 1,000 baht, you can get a visa service to do 4: 90 day reports. Not a bad deal. For 4,500 baht, they will do your visa extension, so I was told.

If the visa agent is not willing to come to you, you'll have to make two trips. One to bring him your passport and one to pick it up after he's gone to immigration to do the 90-day report. So if you don't live near him it might be easier to do it yourself with one (usually) quick trip to immigration. Something to consider before spending the money.

If the visa agent is not willing to come to you, you'll have to make two trips. One to bring him your passport and one to pick it up after he's gone to immigration to do the 90-day report. So if you don't live near him it might be easier to do it yourself with one (usually) quick trip to immigration. Something to consider before spending the money.

I would say if you enjoy queuing up for a ticket to get a ticket and enjoy the environment of a cramped immigration office from 5 or 6 am then keep doing it.

If not then pay the agency fees . At least you can go to take your passport and collect it from the agency at your leisure not at 5 or 6 am in the morning.

• Like 2

I would say if you enjoy queuing up for a ticket to get a ticket and enjoy the environment of a cramped immigration office from 5 or 6 am then keep doing it.

If not then pay the agency fees . At least you can go to take your passport and collect it from the agency at your leisure not at 5 or 6 am in the morning.

+1

hard to imagine anyone would go to a government office at 5 or 6 in the morning and queue up! is that for real? what an absolute waste of time. reminds me of the days before internet sales when we would queue up at 4:00 to buy concert tickets that went on sale at record shops at 9:00. but at least we got our money's worth as we would usually 'scalp' a few of the tickets we bought. we would also bring drinks and other 'party favors', so the wait wasn't so bad...

• Like 1

You don't queue up at 5 or 6 am to do 90-day reports. You can come in at any time of day to get a queue number, although here lately reports of wait times over 2 hours are commonly reported, so a visa agent might not be a bad idea if your agent has a passport pick-up/delivery service or you live near a visa agent.

The 5 am queue up time is for the retirement extension queue number. Different animal than the 90 day report queue number.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

If anyone enjoys hanging around a cramped immigration office 4 or 5 times a year that is up to them and good on them for doing that.

Also the ones who like to pay a visa agent will be feeling that there money and time are being used wisely.

The choice is open to each person whether it is 5 or 6 in the morning or 2 or 3 in the afternoon . Some people enjoy doing that others don't.