changing extension based on marriage

I entered Thailand little more than 2yrs ago on an ED-Visa. The stamp in my passport will expire at the end of November. With the new law for Ed-Visa I will not be able to get another extension in November.

I am already Married to a Thai citizen (My Wife). Instead of leaving the country to get a new visa to just finish the few months of school I decided to change my reason of stay based on marriage.

My question is: Is this possible with a ED-Visa being I entered on the visa over 2 years ago? So with the new law of getting a new visa every year to continue studying in Thailand I wonder if anything has changed with changing reason of stay from education to marriage will have any effect at immigration being I have been here for more than 2yrs based on education.

That is my first question.

Next: If yes; I can change reason to marriage. then can any one help me?

I saw on line what you need if you get a visa at a embassy, but I need to know what I need to bring to immigration office in Bangkok sence Im already here?

And also I heard that having your information in the right order helps. Can any one help me with the order of documents they used?

So my final question is on the form how many days do I put down for extension? Or how many days possible? Is it 1yr?

Im used to filling out the form based on Education which is 90 days at a time.

I know for reason I can put (to live with my Thai wife)

And I imagine that I put entered on a Non-Imagr-ED visa.

Thanks for any help that can be offered with what I need to smooth out what I need for Immigration office.

I think u have to go to laos get non o based on marriage. Im not expert.

But i know for year extension with marriage visa u need 400k in bank for 3 months...

To get non o in laos u need marriage cert and house book in wife name.

If u dont have 400k u get 3 month visa and 2 months extension and u have to go laos again..

Im sure ubonjoe will help u

Edited by mataleo

You can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage. You do not need to go out for a visa.

You will need a bank letter showing 400k baht and your bank book showing that it has been in the bank for 2 months or proof 40k baht income.

Marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2.

Wife's house book and ID card.

Map to your residence.

Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One photo must be of you both under or next to the house number.

Copies of your passport photo page. visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, most recent extension stamp and TM6 departure card.

I don't think the order really matters. If they don't like it they will move them around. I do mine, passport copies, financial docs, marriage docs, wife docs, proof of residence, map and then photos.

You put non immigrant ED in the visa space.

• Like 2

You can change the reason for your extension of stay to marriage. You do not need to go out for a visa.

You will need a bank letter showing 400k baht and your bank book showing that it has been in the bank for 2 months or proof 40k baht income.

Map to your residence.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One photo must be of you both under or next to the house number.

Copies of your passport photo page. visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, most recent extension stamp and TM6 departure card.

I don't think the order really matters. If they don't like they move them around. I do mine, passport copies, financial docs, marriage docs, wife docs, proof of residence, map and then photos.

If u put 400k in atm on street, then update book. And then go next day take 100k from atm and next day 100k until u take 400k back in 4 day. Never update book so its still 400k on it. And then go 3 months later showing that book? Would that works? I mean i got friend who need to use that 400k...

If u put 400k in atm on street, then update book. And then go next day take 100k from atm and next day 100k until u take 400k back in 4 day. Never update book so its still 400k on it. And then go 3 months later showing that book? Would that works? I mean i got friend who need to use that 400k...

The bank letter confirms the balance. Bank book must be updated on date of application to show money has been in the bank for 2 months.

Even taking the money out of the bank during the 30 day under consideration is not advisable because immigration has been known to call the bank to check the balance before giving the final approval.

• Like 2

Map to your residence.

I don't think the order really matters. If they don't like it they will move them around. I do mine, passport copies, financial docs, marriage docs, wife docs, proof of residence, map and then photos.

Thank you!

couple of questions.... How many days do I put for extension? or how many can I? Is it one year or first a certian amount of days then a year?

Which paper is the "Kor Ror 2"?

Also her house book is for Chaing Rai, we rent a apartment in Bangkok. The lease is in my name. Do I bring original and copies of my lease too?

Edited by keithet

Thank you!

couple of questions.... How many days do I put for extension? or how many can I? Is it one year or first a certian amount of days then a year?

Which paper is the "Kor Ror 2"?

Also her house book is for Chaing Rai, we rent a apartment in Bangkok. The lease is in my name. Do I bring original and copies of my lease too?

You put 365 days on the TM7.

They will give a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from when you apply. When you go back they will do the one year extension stamp starting from the date your current permit to stay ends.

You got a Kor Ror 2 when you got married. It is the marriage registry. If you don't have one your wife can get one at any Amphoe (or Khet) for 20 baht. They will print it out and stamp it. Some immigration offices ask for an updated one every year.

Your apartment lease will be enough. Attach a copy and take the original with you.

The 400,000 Im not sure if I will have enough time to show in a bank for 2 months prior to my visit to immigration.

If that is the case then what can be done?

Also how many days should I go to immigration before my stamp in my passport expires? I ask because I need to get a letter from my school dated for the day me and my wife will go to immigration.

I dont know if this is true or not but I heard it is wise to go 30 days before????

If you don't have the money in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply you can get a 60 day extension to visit your wife then do the one year extension at the end of it.

You can apply up to 45 days early, You can do it on the last day but it is best to do it at least a couple of weeks early in case you need some more paperwork for some reason.

• Like 1

Thank you so much ubojoe!

One last question. Is there any other forms I need other then TM7? like a form for my wife? and does she need to bring pasport size photo of her like I need to glue on the TM7?

Also what section will my Q-section be inside immigration for Bangkok? example when I do my ed one it is usually at section N-1.... Is the marriage at L ?

Just want to know so I know Im not waiting for my Que number for the wrong section.

Edited by keithet

If I do 40,000 baht monthly income from Social Security from U.S.A. and get a affidavit from my Embassy. What exchange rate do they use at immigration to exchange the value of US dollar to Thai Baht? because I have to put US dollar on the affidavit because that is how my money is deposited in my US bank account every month.

Do they use current value on the internet or do they use the reduced amount a bank would give you?

They use the bank rate for the date you apply.

The bank rate?

For example the thai baht is 32.023 baht to 1 Us dollar.....

But if you exchange at the bank they would give you a lower amount as low as 30.9 or something for servise charge....

Like when I go to the bank the computer board shows the current exchange rates but also shows buying and selling rate witch is lower.

I hope that question makes sence?????

Edited by keithet

I think you might be mixing up the selling and buying rates.

Here is Bangkok bank's rates for today. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

I had a transfer come in yesterday and got 32 but that was the telex transfer (TT rate) rate which is normally 25 sating higher than the $50 to $100 bill rate.

depending on the exchange rate some times my monthly income that I can prove (my social security) falls just short of the 40,000 baht requirement. Can I use a combination of money in a Thai bank and my monthly income?

Or does any of my wifes income count for our combined income?

Or does it ALL have to be my income for the 40,000.

A combination of money and income is no allowed possible for a extension based upon marriage. You cannot use your wife's income when you do the application.

Do have any income that you could add to your income affidavit to help make up the difference It does not have be a pension or SS payments.

A combination of money and income is no allowed possible for a extension based upon marriage. You cannot use your wife's income when you do the application.

Do have any income that you could add to your income affidavit to help make up the difference It does not have be a pension or SS payments.

I do have extra income from a shared property rental in USA with family. But I dont have any proof in my name.

So if I put that on the affidavit I could not show proof to either the embassy if asked or immigration if asked...

Could this still count under oath with the embassy for the affidavit?

And if so do I put amount for SS payments then rentail (stating rentail) and then the total at the botom... Or just put total amount saying from SS and rental in US on the affidavit?

for the US embassy

You are very helpful ubonjoe! me and my wife thank you for your advise with everything!

Edited by keithet

I do have extra income from a shared property rental in USA with family. But I dont have any proof in my name.

So if I put that on the affidavit I could not show proof to either the embassy if asked or immigration if asked...

The embassy does not ask for proof because you swear an oath to a consular officer that it is true and correct when you do the affidavit.

I don't recall any reports of Bangkok immigration asking for back up proof for an affidavit. If asked the best back up proof is a Thai bank book showing some transfers into the country. There is no requirement for you to bring all your money into the country because you are proving gross income not net.

Map to your residence.

Joe, my experience with Immigration in Sakhon Nakhon was different though my circumstances were identical with what was posted by the OP.

I was told to get out of the country, go to Laos and come back on a Non_O which they would then consider for extension based on marriage. They would not change my Ed Visa. There is absolutely no consistency by immigration in dissemination of information across the country I am afraid to report.

• Like 1

The embassy does not ask for proof because you swear an oath to a consular officer that it is true and correct when you do the affidavit.

I don't recall any reports of Bangkok immigration asking for back up proof for an affidavit. If asked the best back up proof is a Thai bank book showing some transfers into the country. There is no requirement for you to bring all your money into the country because you are proving gross income not net.

Aww thank you thats good advise I do show a monthly transfer from US to Thai bank for about 30,000 baht. This is what I find good for me to live on.

Also on the affidavit do I put amount of SS and then the amount of the rentail in the US then put total. Or just put total amount and state "from SS and property rental from USA" ???

This would be for the US embassy

Map to your residence.

Joe, my experience with Immigration in Sakhon Nakhon was different though my circumstances were identical with what was posted by the OP.

I was told to get out of the country, go to Laos and come back on a Non_O which they would then consider for extension based on marriage. They would not change my Ed Visa. There is absolutely no consistency by immigration in dissemination of information across the country I am afraid to report.

May I ask when you did this? The date? I ask because it seems everything is changing because of the ED visa changes on Aug. 29

I will be going to Bangkok imagration in CW

Edited by keithet

Were you asking to change your reason for an extension. Or did you ask them about changing visas. It is not possible to change non immigrant visa classes.

There have been a lot people that have changed from an ED extension to marriage and retirement at other offices.

The OP is doing his in Bangkok and they will do it.

Were you asking to change your reason for an extension. Or did you ask them about changing visas. It is not possible to change non immigrant visa classes.

There have been a lot people that have changed from an ED extension to marriage and retirement at other offices.

The OP is doing his in Bangkok and they will do it.

do you verbaly say change your reason for extension?

or do I write in reason for extension on TM7 " Change" or just "to stay/live with my Thai wife"? or both....

What is wise to write in this section on the TM7?

You don't need to write anything special on the TM7. They will know what you want to do when they see your application and the letter from your school.

You would just tell you want to apply for an extension based upon marriage instead of education.

I had a previous Thai marriage and divorce.

Subsequent to that, I did a "Thai wife" extension in 2004. I didn't say anything about the previous marriage and neither did Immigration.

Earlier this year I tried for the Thai wife extension and Immigration knew about the previous marriage and wanted to see the divorce paper (I think).

I'm also trying for a "yellow book" just so the good folks at CW have one less thing to question in the future.

The bank letter confirms the balance. Bank book must be updated on date of application to show money has been in the bank for 2 months.

Even taking the money out of the bank during the 30 day under consideration is not advisable because immigration has been known to call the bank to check the balance before giving the final approval.

Agreed absolutely got a call from immigration after about 3 weeks, so sorry application lost please come in with docs and do a new one. Had withdrawn B400K week after making application luckily was able to get a letter confirming balance in a time deposit account