thailand pang!

silomplaya

I don't know where you live but let me look at some of my expenses in the last couple of days.

A mechanic came to my house checked my car took the battery for charging. Returned later with a reconditioned alternator and fitted it. Total cost 4000 baht.

2 bags full of fruit and vegetables from the market 300 baht

Lunch 40 baht

Water rates for a large condo 300 baht

Total bills for 140 sq m condo including cable, internet, water and Electric 3,500 baht

2 dresses, pair of shoes and a pair of trousers for gf 1500 baht

Alterations to 2 dresses 80 baht

Total 9420 baht

I estimate that the same would be around 30,000 in the UK

Ok some stuff is more than the west but when it comes to services this place wins hands down

If you're a 'Silom Playa' Thailand is getting very expensive and is only going to get more so. Expat orientated nightlife, restaurants, housing etc is ridiculously pricey now and is getting worse every day.

Get outside of the tourist ghettos and clip joints and it's still cheap. And far more enjoyable as well imo.

I don't know where you live but let me look at some of my expenses in the last couple of days.

A mechanic came to my house checked my car took the battery for charging. Returned later with a reconditioned alternator and fitted it. Total cost 4000 baht.

Lunch 40 baht

Total bills for 140 sq m condo including cable, internet, water and Electric 3,500 baht

Total 9420 baht

Ok some stuff is more than the west but when it comes to services this place wins hands down

3,500THB for a 140sqm condo. Where? In the djungle?

Lunch 40 baht

Total 9420 baht

3,500THB for a 140sqm condo. Where? In the djungle?

I should have been clearer. That is my monthly bills. I own the condo.

You can't compare expenses for expenses to back home.

My wife who's lived the longer than Villagefarang

:) even says Thailand is now expensive.

I think its cheap being a 3 week millionaire still.

Much much cheaper countries in SE Asia than Thailand that's sure. Bangkok is expensive, Khon Kaen is cheap.

If you thought moving to Thailand would mean you could live like a king on a meagre income, then I guess it might seem expensive.

If you moved to Thailand and attempted to recreate the lifestyle you had in the west, it probably does seem expensive. But why would you do that anyway?

• Like 1

If you compare with Thailand of just a few years ago, yes it is expensive. The cost of living has gone up about 30% in the past 2 years. The minimum wage hit a lot of middle class workers pretty hard. For me the exchange rate for the dollars has sucked for about a year and getting worse lately. When I work and get paid here, obviously I don't mind but when I bring over money it just doesn't go far. I brought 30k USD this year and it just didn't go as far as a few years back.

• Like 1

Obviously the timeshare gig is not paying out, no freebie women and the 3000 baht a month condo is actually just a shack

I have a time share Mr T.

Are you feeling lucky?

You have one, he tries to sell them. Big difference.