Well there goes my plans

ToYoungToRetire

So I'm planning my second trip to Thailand...

I have a female friend who lives in Southern Eastern mainland Thailand. I was hoping to ....

1. Spend a few days in Bangkok and meet up with my Pharang friend and his Thai wife. And of course sample the nightlife...

2. Get a rental car and drive to Issan and pickup my friend and drive the short distance to the Laos border and spend a few days in Laos.

3. Drive back to Thailand, possibly drop her off at her home or Bangkok and go to Chon Buri/Pattaya for a few days.

4. Back to Bangkok for my last evening and a flight back home.

Total time 2 weeks...

Problem is my Pharang Friend in Thailand is telling me if rent a car I will most likely not be allowed to take it over the (any) Laos border.

Got any imput on that?

Driving a car in Thailand isn't any more dangerous than driving in UK or USA. I've driven all over and never had a problem. I doubt you will either.

Seems like it in my experience, infact id say they are better

Im the biggest <deleted> on thailand's roads whenever i grace them with my presence, but back in Australia im outdone several times by alot of people

Probably not what you want but I've used Sakda tours out of Ubon a few times to tour southern Laos. They also do tours throughout Laos,Cambodia and Vietnam. Appears to be a huge tour group as most of the tour buses and mini vans in that southern Laos area have their name on the side. Unfortunately their website sakdatour dot com is all in Thai

The price for a mini van with driver and compulsory Laos guide are reasonable. We normally take the 4 day 3 night option all inclusive. You don't need much spending money as everything is provided.

Edited by Farma

Have a look at Road Accidents Death Stastics, for Thailand and that should back up what I said.

That's because there are millions of motorcycles on the roads, put millions of motorcycles on the roads in UK, you think the Death Statistics would remain the same ?

Dear oh dear, the 'Doom Mongers' are positively against driving in Thailand aren't they? I've driven all over Thailand and never had a problem, but I always make sure that the company I rent (hire) from provides a proper accident service and I use my own in-car cameras front and rear all the time. I've got Thai driving licences now, although that means little practically except that having them means cheaper entry to some attractions that have a dual pricing policy.

But you do need to learn and must find a way of doing that. I do think that it was beneficial that I had quite a few car rides before driving in Thailand though, and I also had pillion motorcycle rides before riding a motorcycle in Thailand although I have been riding for nearly 50 years now in the UK.

When I went to Laos, I drove to Nong Khai and then booked a trip across the border. The rental company still phoned me complaining that the car tracker said that I was half a mile from the border and that I was not to cross over. Knowing so little about Laos, I wouldn't drive there with no experience. Mind you, I wouldn't drive in the US or any other country without any experience at all. You can't just jump in and go in another country because the rules will be different and will catch you out. Please read that as 'cost you money'.

Things that Thailand caught me out (tongue in cheek) were these:

Flashing your headlights means get out of my way, not that you may go first.

Not turning left at a red traffic light where you can do so, will get you severely honked at.

Turning left at a red traffic light where it is not permitted will cost you money.

Don't drive across traffic lights on amber, you haven't got right of way even when they're green!

A red traffic light may mean you can go straight ahead without stopping if the road markings say so.

Traffic notionally drives on the left except when it's inconvenient.

Overtaking on the inside is common - known as 'undertaking' in the UK.

When it rains in Bangkok, park the car like everyone else does because it's a skating rink.

Goodness knows what the 'rules' are in Laos. I got dizzy going around a roundabout (US: Traffic Circle) what was to me the wrong way. Having observed what my driver did I really couldn't tell whether or not it was or wasn't what he should have done legally.

Quite frankly, as it's only his second visit the OP should fly from Suwannapoom to Wattay (Vientiane airport) and fly back - it's really cheap and quick. The bus to Pattaya from Suwannapoom was only ฿134 the last time I used it against ฿1,500 in a taxi.

But then, Thailand has taught me that the good thing about 'rules' is that there are so many to choose from!

Dear oh dear, the 'Doom Mongers' are positively against driving in Thailand aren't they? I've driven all over Thailand and never had a problem, but I always make sure that the company I rent (hire) from provides a proper accident service and I use my own in-car cameras front and rear all the time. I've got Thai driving licences now, although that means little practically except that having them means cheaper entry to some attractions that have a dual pricing policy.

But you do need to learn and must find a way of doing that. I do think that it was beneficial that I had quite a few car rides before driving in Thailand though, and I also had pillion motorcycle rides before riding a motorcycle in Thailand although I have been riding for nearly 50 years now in the UK.

When I went to Laos, I drove to Nong Khai and then booked a trip across the border. The rental company still phoned me complaining that the car tracker said that I was half a mile from the border and that I was not to cross over. Knowing so little about Laos, I wouldn't drive there with no experience. Mind you, I wouldn't drive in the US or any other country without any experience at all. You can't just jump in and go in another country because the rules will be different and will catch you out. Please read that as 'cost you money'.

Things that Thailand caught me out (tongue in cheek) were these:

Flashing your headlights means get out of my way, not that you may go first.

Not turning left at a red traffic light where you can do so, will get you severely honked at.

Turning left at a red traffic light where it is not permitted will cost you money.

Don't drive across traffic lights on amber, you haven't got right of way even when they're green!

A red traffic light may mean you can go straight ahead without stopping if the road markings say so.

Traffic notionally drives on the left except when it's inconvenient.

Overtaking on the inside is common - known as 'undertaking' in the UK.

When it rains in Bangkok, park the car like everyone else does because it's a skating rink.

Goodness knows what the 'rules' are in Laos. I got dizzy going around a roundabout (US: Traffic Circle) what was to me the wrong way. Having observed what my driver did I really couldn't tell whether or not it was or wasn't what he should have done legally.

Quite frankly, as it's only his second visit the OP should fly from Suwannapoom to Wattay (Vientiane airport) and fly back - it's really cheap and quick. The bus to Pattaya from Suwannapoom was only ฿134 the last time I used it against ฿1,500 in a taxi.

But then, Thailand has taught me that the good thing about 'rules' is that there are so many to choose from!

Doom mongers we ain't, Realistic we are... ??

Just like you with your Cameras front and rear ???

All I was trying to do was Pre warn him, but now that you have wrote a book on it, I wasted my time.

You don't even need to look at road statistics, just stand at any roadside in Thailand, and tell me what you observe.... Ah so you have seen it, hence the Cameras front and rear,,,,,

1. In my view it is extremely dangerous for a first world driver without other experience to drive in Thailand - not because Thai are bad drivers but because they have a totally different rules of the road mentality. Tourist here as a pax until you understand pulling onto the shoulder is normal to allow oncoming cars to complete there passing moves.

2. Public transport is good and cheap - and rental of car/driver likely about the same as car alone.

3. You are talking about change of left to right to left side driving in one short trip. Not good for the mind (or body if you make a mistake).

• Like 2

1. In my view it is extremely dangerous for a first world driver without other experience to drive in Thailand - not because Thai are bad drivers but because they have a totally different rules of the road mentality. Tourist here as a pax until you understand pulling onto the shoulder is normal to allow oncoming cars to complete there passing moves.

2. Public transport is good and cheap - and rental of car/driver likely about the same as car alone.

3. You are talking about change of left to right to left side driving in one short trip. Not good for the mind (or body if you make a mistake).

Yep totally agree... With you 100 percent...

Thailand drives on the left, Laos on the right .

If you rent a car in Thailand the insurance will not be valid in Laos .

Thats why you get insurance in Laos (or have your Thai insurance extended to cover Laos). moot point though as has been stated a few times now... you cannot take the rented car out of Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544563-driving-a-thai-registered-car-in-laos/

Edited by Spoonman

I rented a car here for a couple of days, yes it is a very different experience but if you drive defensively you will be just fine.

Get a hotel in Nong Khai leave the car there . take a Tuk Tuk to the border, remember you need a Tourist Visa for Laos. Travel into Vientiane and enjoy the day. Travel back to Nong Khai. I think the border closes at 6 pm. good luck

For many years, that's what we did. Hire a car and driver. Not that much more money than just renting a car and soooooo much easier. Roads are not well marked here and the driving is...well...completely different. Nothing like back home.

If you want a relaxing holiday, let somebody else do the driving. Buses here are quite good. You can get a VIP bus even! LOL

Also, depending on where you'll be in Laos, it's a long way to Bangkok. If you have the money, a flight is the way to go. And getting to Pattaya is easy. 120B or so for a quick bus ride. I have a car here and drive all the time. But for day trips to Bangkok, I take the bus from Pattaya.

Have a look at Road Accidents Death Stastics, for Thailand and that should back up what I said.

Mostly young people on motorbikes die. Drive a car and you'll be as safe as UK/USA. Drive a motorbike and it will probably be more dangerous. More people drive motorbikes in Thailand than UK/USA, so there will of course be more deaths. You need to compare the safety of driving cars in each country, as that is what the OP ants to do.

I rented a car here for a couple of days, yes it is a very different experience but if you drive defensively you will be just fine.

Get a hotel in Nong Khai leave the car there . take a Tuk Tuk to the border, remember you need a Tourist Visa for Laos. Travel into Vientiane and enjoy the day. Travel back to Nong Khai. I think the border closes at 6 pm. good luck

You can get a visa on arrival at Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai. Border there is open 6 am to 10 pm.

I would not drive long distance in thailand, no matter how carefull you are, it's elmar fudd local with NO road sense that will bring you undone, or the ya-ba truck driver, nodding off bus driver, ferrari speed mini-bus, much more relaxing to fly, maybe car with driver, excellent international bus from ubon-pakse (laos) 3 hr, 200 baht.

regards S.S.coffee1.gif