Why I would rather live in Thailand than America

flyingsaucersarereal

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The general nice friendly attitude of Thai people. In Thailand people overall are just more friendly you can stop and ask someone for directions without them being annoyed with you and wanting you to go away. Thai people don't throw around insults all the time like you hear in America overall the country has a much more relaxed feel.

"...friendly attitude of Thai people...without them being annoyed with you and wanting you to go away.....Thai people don't throw around insults"

yes i completely agree with you thai are so friendly, they welcome you here with open arms!whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757929-clip-of-beach-mafia-controlling-the-area

Edited by Bender
  • Like 1

I grew up in Westchester County, north of New York City.

Now you can't even do minor repairs on your own home. You need a village permit and the work has to be done by a licenced contractor at grossly inflated prices.

That's just one of the many reasons that I like it better here.

Organised crime in local government. Has to be.

• Like 1

A little light on the speeding ticket - Calif highway 101 - 3 years ago - 16MPH over posted speed - $968.00 (30,000B)

Wow! Was that in a 'construction zone?' I also see photo controlled intersections with $300 'red light' violation fines. Spooks me everytime I drive through an intersection and await the mail. Yes, too many laws with the highest proportional prison population in the world.

In California (CA) or Hawaii (HI), I live in nice neighborhoods where the people are friendly, answer general questions and want to be helpful. Even those with Englsh as their second language try to be community oriented. Since I can sometimes speak in their native language (Spanish or other), it's often surprising to them and makes them more friendly.

In CA, the sidewalks and roads are well maintained with many engineered safety features. More can be done faster than my patience allows, like safer bicycle lanes, but there's ongoing progress compared with road safety in Thailand. CA has a motorcycle helmet law, but HI does not - freedom. Most sidewalks in the HI are in disrepair or nonexistent which is similar to LOS where walking is less expected.

Generally, cost of living is less in LOS, but housing in some CA and Nevada communities is less than condos or houses in LOS before calculating association dues and property taxes. If income generation is not an issue then one can live in the most affordable and convenient area.

Education and other family related issues are important if you have children. I did, but they are now adults.

Entertainment, golf, motorcycling, mountain biking, other sports, friends, family, etc....There are so many criterion to consider and each of us has our own long and short list by priority which changes as our lives progress. The OP now favors LOS as I did 5-7 years ago, but I keep multiple options active so I can enjoy as my whims, maturity and airfares allow :).

Edited by losgrad
  • Like 2

Nope - a section south of Soledad - Highway Patrol.......

Bummer! Maybe he thought you were making a prison break from the minimum security facility nearby :).

That's a boring and straight section of highway that does not need to be patrolled except for road emergencies. I drove it many times when visiting one of my kids at Cal Poly U. and to buy some used farm equipment.

If you drive 16 mph over the limit on I-5, then you have to stay in the slow lane as traffic passes you by....

Edited by losgrad

I am back in the US for some months now and I am already tired of this place. I will admit that there are very nice areas of the country with incredible natural beauty. But you don't have to live here to visit those places. And by living here you would have to put up with all the other nonsense above.

A little light on the speeding ticket - Calif highway 101 - 3 years ago - 16MPH over posted speed - $968.00 (30,000B)

But bet you didn't do it again.

laugh.png

Yes, at only 200 baht, everyone just smiles and accelerates back up to speed as fast as the car and traffic allows smile.png.

P.S. If in an accident, one runs and claims someone else was driving your vehicle.

Edited by losgrad
  • Like 1

If you drive in the US you need to have a budget just for road "distractions".....In 2004 to pass a stop sign on a desert road cost me $500.....no police around..but a camera. Car towed for wrong parking, $300...and a day work losted.....just few of many....

In 2008 I was working at the Sand Diego Seniors Center. I have to bail a homeless man in jail because he took baby food from a supermarket......I have to sued the supermarket to get my money back, but that is another American history....

Traffic and crime laws enforcement in Thailand is very bad...it is true, but all extremes are bad.

The US is the land of extremes....Some people like it...

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1