Butter Croissants - Seriously

NanLaew

With IS (or ISIS or ISOL... take your pick) looming, the fragile truces in Gaza and Ukraine and Ebola ravaging Africa, it's time for a serious question.

Where in Pattaya can the best butter croissants be purchased?

There's a whole lot of variety but in my opinion, a butter croissant should be light, flaky, slightly crispy on the outside and only have a slight and pleasant buttery taste. Ruling out the terrible things that the 'bakery' at Big C cranks out... you know, the soggy, greasy things made with rancid butter, where can I buy a consistently good croissant in Pattaya? I do recall TOPS having a smaller, crisper one that had some paper wrapper alluding to something French being the best but the supply seemed as scarce as a virgin on Walking Street.

Thanks for you help,

NL

Some of the best I had were from the Windmill cafe (next to the Korean disco) on Nakleua Rd. Good butter croissants, they also had a good selection of breads. Not cheap, but good quality. Like most good French breads they have an eat by measured in hours not days, so get there in the morning.

LA BOULANGE / Third Road. They deliver to Frienship also. Fresh. They have a brown wrapper and are around 24 Baht I believe.. I like them. You are right some of the croissants sold here, also from foreign shops, are a crime. Enjoy. MS>

Approximate location on 3rd please. Thanks for the tip.

Some of the best I had were from the Windmill cafe (next to the Korean disco) on Nakleua Rd. Good butter croissants, they also had a good selection of breads. Not cheap, but good quality. Like most good French breads they have an eat by measured in hours not days, so get there in the morning.

I will check them out tomorrow when I go get my FedEx package.

Thanks!

I will check them out tomorrow when I go get my FedEx package.

Thanks!

Sorry, the name is the Terrace Cafe, not Windmill. The Windmill is the hotel just past it towards Nakleua. Just after Soi 29/1.

LA BOULANGE / Third Road. They deliver to Frienship also. Fresh. They have a brown wrapper and are around 24 Baht I believe.. I like them. You are right some of the croissants sold here, also from foreign shops, are a crime. Enjoy. MS>

Approximate location on 3rd please. Thanks for the tip.

Pass TOT, 200 m North you will see "La Boulange" on the right side driving North. They have an all day coffee shop with very good fresh sandwiches and very cheap on top of that. Right before the big car wash. But you can get the same ones in Friendship from about 9 am, all day. About in the center of the misc. bread/sweet shelve, the ones with the brownish La Boulange wrapper. For me the best croissants in town. I often freeze them. 15 seconds microwave and 1 minute in stove / the glass hot air one. Excellent.

Best Supermarket at Dolphin roundabout sells them along with other various loaves, buns, cakes, butties, pies and tarts. Many have a French derivation and though I'm no croissant lover myself, I've always liked the other products I have bought. Not made in store, bought in.

Try Loaf Bakery or Bake and Brew Nanlaew.

Better than those greasy things from Big C.

Let us know what you think.

wink.png

Locations please Norman? I am a darksider.

If you know Khoa Noi then, the French Place on there sells croissants which are lovely. It is to be found on the right by the Farang Book Shop - not the Thai bakery though that is close to it, but 20 meters down the hill towards Sukhumvit. They are very good. Pain Au Chocolat as well.

The worst croissant I ever had in my entire life was at CasaPascal....

Strange. I've eaten there hundreds of times and only once were the croissants stale.

Really?

You can get nice croissants at a 199bt all you can eat buffet!

I don't think so.

To some people quantity is quality.

Have you ever been? The quality there is generally very high. Only the fruit juice lets it down.

If you can't find decent croissants in Pattaya you haven't been looking. Tops on 2nd Rd and Klang is not bad. Au bon Pain always seems to have good baked goods. They probably have the best bagels and decent bagels ARE kind of hard to find in Pattaya. They must get them from somewhere else local but not sure where.

Edited by lapd

If you can't find decent croissants in Pattaya you haven't been looking. Tops on 2nd Rd and Klang is not bad. Au bon Pain always seems to have good baked goods. They probably have the best bagels and decent bagels ARE kind of hard to find in Pattaya. They must get them from somewhere else local but not sure where.

Oh I have looked but the question from my OP is "where can I buy a consistently good croissant in Pattaya?" I have bought from Friendship and Foodland but there was always a big variation in quality and even in size.

I checked at Tops yesterday morning and yes, the smaller, flakier ones that I like were there. There's several Au Bon Pain outlets so rather than the scattergun approach, knowing which one you are refering to would be handy.

Lot's of handy input here and it is much appreciated. There's a couple of bakeries opposite each other near the traffic lights on SSCC that I will also check out.

PS. I am not a bagel fan but there's frozen ones at Villa sometimes.

On the Darkside try the the Holland Tulip bakery on SSCC. They've got best cakes I have found on the Darkside and their croissants taste good to me also. It's close to the crossroads where Sunrise Tacos used to have a mobile stand. 7-11 on one corner, Tesco Lotus on another and a Mityon motorbike shop on another corner. The Holland Tulip bakery is about 3 doors up from the Tesco Lotus on Soi Siam CC.

On the West side of Sukhumvit I like Boncafe's croissants. Their "healthy" breakfast set of coffee, croissant & fresh fruit is good value also. I mentioned by a previous poster, I also like the croissants at Loaf Bakery - on Soi Lengkee, close to the junction with Soi Buakhao. It used to be called Rinya. I think they now have a branch on South Pattaya Road also, not far from Tukcom.

Oh I have looked but the question from my OP is "where can I buy a consistently good croissant in Pattaya?" I have bought from Friendship and Foodland but there was always a big variation in quality and even in size.

I checked at Tops yesterday morning and yes, the smaller, flakier ones that I like were there. There's several Au Bon Pain outlets so rather than the scattergun approach, knowing which one you are refering to would be handy.

Lot's of handy input here and it is much appreciated. There's a couple of bakeries opposite each other near the traffic lights on SSCC that I will also check out.

PS. I am not a bagel fan but there's frozen ones at Villa sometimes.

The Au Bon I am talking about is in Avenue Mall on 2nd Road. None of the ones I have been in bake them in house as far as I know. Maybe there is one somewhere that does the baking for all of them.

Edited by lapd