Marriage and then immediate O visa. Flag raiser?

Hello all. A search didn't turn up an answer to this question that I could find. My business visa is set to run out in October and rather than go back to the States to renew it, an expensive prospect, I plan to push up my wedding and marry my long-term gf and soon thereafter apply for an O visa in Savannakhet. Am I likely to run into any raised eyebrows on account of such a brief time period between the marriage and the visa application?

Thank you much, cheers....

Thanks, guys. That alleviates my small fear about that. Ubonjoe, you gave me a nice tingly sensation with the term "newlywed". I will indeed be a newlywed. Have never thought of myself as a newlywed and have indeed never as of yet been one. Wow... Thank you for that.

Your first application may attract a little more scrutiny as it is their job to determine if the marriage is true in the de-facto sense.. Consecutive applications will be easier.

Be prepared to get statements from neighbours etc.. and you will probably need lots of photo of you all together inside and outside the house.

But it changes according to immigration office..

My first one was easy in Pattaya, but after moving to Korat they made us jump through hoops getting witness statements etc.. (And I had a child too)

Your first application may attract a little more scrutiny as it is their job to determine if the marriage is true in the de-facto sense.. Consecutive applications will be easier.

Be prepared to get statements from neighbours etc.. and you will probably need lots of photo of you all together inside and outside the house.

My first one was easy in Pattaya, but after moving to Korat they made us jump through hoops getting witness statements etc.. (And I had a child too)

You need to read the OP.

The OP is not applying for an extension of stay. He going to the consulate in Savannakhet Laos for a multiple entry non-o visa.

None of the above apply to the OP as he says he will go to Savannakhet to get a Non-'O' visa which does not require him to visit any immigration office. As I understand it he does not even have to show funds for a 1 year visa, at this time.

None of the above apply to the OP as he says he will go to Savannakhet to get a Non-'O' visa which does not require him to visit any immigration office. As I understand it he does not even have to show funds for a 1 year visa, at this time.

Good point... thanks for the correction

Although worth noting if the plan is to convert the Non-O to a 12 month extension.

That brings up another question I've been contemplating. I've read about the 12-month ext and the required money in the bank. Some folks seem to jump over a lot of hurtles to get this. Isn't it also possible to go back to Savannakhet and get a new type O visa based on marriage after this one expires, much the way I've been doing with the business visa, renewing it yearly? Is it just that the ext. negates the necessity of traveling out of the country?

Cheers.....

That brings up another question I've been contemplating. I've read about the 12-month ext and the required money in the bank. Some folks seem to jump over a lot of hurtles to get this. Isn't it also possible to go back to Savannakhet and get a new type O visa based on marriage after this one expires, much the way I've been doing with the business visa, renewing it yearly? Is it just that the ext. negates the necessity of traveling out of the country?

Cheers.....

The one year extension of stay is not that difficult to get. I am on my 7th one and have not had a problem. There is a lot of false info posted about how hard it is to get. (many by people that never had one).

The extension eliminates the need to leave the country every 90 days and having to go for a new visa every year.

You can keep getting the multiple entry visa for a long as it is available.

• 3 weeks later...

...quick question on this older post.... I have one month left on my business visa (expires Nov. 2) which means I need to head down to Laos soon to get the marriage visa. I was thinking to go next week to "have a little extra time" on my business visa in case something didn't work out. Then it occurred to me that once I go out of Thailand the B visa will be nullified (I'm starting on the 15th and final month now) so going to Laos a bit early will not serve any purpose, correct? I'm better off using up the last remaining month on this visa and then going for the marriage visa. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Your advice and knowledge is much appreciated. What a great help to everybody!

And my apologies for a somewhat silly question. Just trying to juggle a few different things and if I can wait a few more weeks before taking the trip that would be helpful.

Thanks so much...