Cable & satellite TVs told to stop broadcasting Channel 3’analog programmes

Lite Beer

I don't know but my guess is they don't want to spend the money to upgrade to digital equipment.

Guess again. They have already upgraded to digital. They already broadcast on digital. They want to broadcast on analogue as well, for a number of reasons - such as most people still can't watch digital thanks to this ridiculous NBTC thing, because of various contracts they have, and for other reasons as well.

I don't know but my guess is they don't want to spend the money to upgrade to digital equipment.

Guess again. They have already upgraded to digital. They already broadcast on digital. They want to broadcast on analogue as well, for a number of reasons - such as most people still can't watch digital thanks to this ridiculous NBTC thing, because of various contracts they have, and for other reasons as well.

Thanks. Now I don't have to guess.

I still do not see why they cannot broadcast in analog if they want to.

You can broadcast 5 digital channels in the space 1 analogue channel takes.

Which would you like to sell, 1 licence for analogue or 5 for digital.

And is there a shortage of broadcasting space for channels to use[genuine question]?

As usual, the forum discussion is getting "off" topic again. Channel 3 reserves the right to spend it's money, anyway it chooses. Again, they have been "directed", by regulatory body mandate, to STOP broadcasting, via the analog (radio-wave) platforms. Please, READ the original topic heading again, por favorwai.gif

clap2.gif

clap2.gif .

And is there a shortage of broadcasting space for channels to use[genuine question]?

As usual, the forum discussion is getting "off" topic again. Channel 3 reserves the right to spend it's money, anyway it chooses. Again, they have been "directed", by regulatory body mandate, to STOP broadcasting, via the analog (radio-wave) platforms. Please, READ the original topic heading again, por favorwai.gif

NativeSon360: Are you trying to be a jerk or were you born that way?

• Like 1

These points are not off topic but are related as to why Channel 3 is being forced into this move and cannot continue as it is.

Remember, the heading isn't the story.

According to this (http://www.digitag.org/WebLetters/2013/External-Dec2013.html) there were 24 licences auctioned and BEC Media (Channel 3) got 3 of them.

So they have the licence for digital broadcasting, but for some reason aren't using it.

Correct!

I'm just wondering how all the TV's that receive the digital channels through aerials and satellites transmit their video back to 'big brother'?

Big Brother gets it first (to screen), then re-transmits to the public forum. Ever notice the "call-redirected" notice you receive (on your phone screen), when making a cell-phone call? whistling.gif

Also, have you ever heard your own voice "echoed" on your cell phone? Hmm? rolleyes.gif It is not new technology, either! Only new to Thailand!

I'll have to remember to put my phone in another room while I'm watching TV.

Totally, remove the SIM chip, if you want to hold a private discussion rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah... the computer crime act and defamation.... don't watch Channel 3 often. What'd they do? Broadcast truth? The fools. 6 minutes per hour? These charges along with that fruit suit once more remind us from countries with a functioning press of the need to eliminate those laws in Thailand. There was old saying "Freedom of the press belongs to those who own presses" but here the government is taking away presses (tv licenses). Probably won't hear about it in the papers or broadcast news I reckon....

"...but here the government is taking away presses (tv licenses)."

No. Throughout the world it is the State that owns broadcasting in rights in its area of sovereignty. The State decides how to regulate that area. Anyone or any business that wants to broadcast within the State must have a State license. So here there is no "press" to take away. Not many old sayings fit in todays's world of technology.

Well either Channel 3 have a licence to broadcast on analogue channels or they haven't.

If the licence has expired they should stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by NCFC
  • Like 2

Well either Channel 3 have a licence to broadcast on analogue channels or they haven't.

And to hell with those who do not have digital TV sets? Maybe they are providing a service, albeit "illegal". Perhaps the regulatory authorities need to put the people first?

Oh Hell....simply stop broadcasting all made in thai contents...period.....then maybe the intellectual levels of the locals will improve.

Imperialism rises its ugly head yet again. Why do westerners always assume they are the most intelligent?

We have brain washing soap operas too. Eastenders, Coronation Street etc are not exactly educational are they. I always noticed that most of Corrie spend all their time in the pub. Let's promote alcoholism shall we!! Or Eastenders, where most of the cast are White British but the real East end is made up off many other races...

And to hell with those who do not have digital TV sets? Maybe they are providing a service, albeit "illegal". Perhaps the regulatory authorities need to put the people first?

You make CH3 sound like a charitable organisation instead of the licence to print money which it is.

NTBC announced long long ago Thailand was switching to digital and all parties have had a long time to prepare. CH3 has a digital licence too but this is a story about profits and not about goodwill to the people.

You'll just have to trade in that old TV set of yours, old son.

Channel 3 is probably the most watched channel by Thais on TV. This is happiness for the Thais as the NCPO advocate. Why stop it . whats the matter with analogue.

There's nothing wrong with analogue if you just want a tv picture but digital allows other services as well. That wouldn't need a change over although broadcasting both digital and analogue would be more expensive. Switching off analogue means those frequencies can be auctioned off and used for other things. In the UK the 4G network uses some of the old spectrum I believe.

You make CH3 sound like a charitable organisation instead of the licence to print money which it is.

NTBC announced long long ago Thailand was switching to digital and all parties have had a long time to prepare. CH3 has a digital licence too but this is a story about profits and not about goodwill to the people.

You'll just have to trade in that old TV set of yours, old son.

A digital to analogue converter or set top box will sort that problem I think but getting a new set will be a better option.

what is the advantage of broadcasting in analog as opposed to broadcasting in digital?

People will be able to watch your content!

I don't have a digital-compatible TV in the house, and I have 3. I was hoping my cable rebroadcasters would be handling this, Sophon and True, maybe not! I certainly don't need another damned little box and remote control under the TV!

Oh Hell....simply stop broadcasting all made in thai contents...period.....then maybe the intellectual levels of the locals will improve.

Imperialism rises its ugly head yet again. Why do westerners always assume they are the most intelligent?

We have brain washing soap operas too. Eastenders, Coronation Street etc are not exactly educational are they. I always noticed that most of Corrie spend all their time in the pub. Let's promote alcoholism shall we!! Or Eastenders, where most of the cast are White British but the real East end is made up off many other races...

Yeah yeah yeah. They are 30 minutes for a couple of nights on 2 of hundreds of channels. Soaps take from 7pm to 10pm on virtually every channel every night.

• Like 1

what is the advantage of broadcasting in analog as opposed to broadcasting in digital?

I do not know the technological details, as well as my granddaughter does, but the advantage of broadcasting, via the radio wave (analog) platform, prevents the government/law enforcement officials from utilizing the (microscopic) digital surveillance camera (factory installed in all television sets,world-wide) from spying on people, either in the privacy of their homes, business offices, and/or public gathering facilities, e.g., shopping malls, or airports. Anyone, on this forum wishing to debate this (Big Brother is watching) fact, is welcome to debate their issue, even with their turned-off, but cable connected TV monitor. Capiche, whistling.gif

I'm just wondering how all the TV's that receive the digital channels through aerials and satellites transmit their video back to 'big brother'?

They don't. They are analogue "receivers", not "transmitters"! whistling.gif