Ed visa to Retirement at Jomtien.... NO

Today I took all the paper work I need to Jomtien to change my visa, (or to change my reason to stay, lets not start on its a visa, no it not)

I was quickly taken from one officer to another, I was told I need to do a border run and come back in on a 7 day stamp and then do the visa again.

I asked the Belgium guy who assists there, he told me the same thing. I was also told the same thing by the people who I have booked the boarder run with.

So 3-4 people telling me this is now the rule. I think I'll take their advice, I go back to Jomtien on Friday afternoon with the new 7 day stamp and shall let you know how I get on then.

So they mean you have to go out of Thailand first and back and get a 7days stamp? Well It will be 15day given I think. Why could they not give you 7days there in the immigration office?

You say to do the new visa but this is important use of correct word, you do mean do a new extension?Just to be clear.

I see some report on a similar thing in Udon Thani today. If this is a new rule they could damn shit at least tell people before. I will do same as you in a few weeks and this mess up all if this is the rule. I will go there tomorrow to confirm this.Thanks for the heads up.

Yes I have to run to the Cambodian border, then back to the immigration department. No Idea if it is a visa I will be getting or just a change of reason to stay.

So we are told there is no such thing as a retirement visa, so I guess it will just be a reason to stay.

I was told a 7 day stamp would be given at the border, not 15, tho that makes no odds as I will be going to get the visa/extension to stay straight away on my return. Or at least I hope that's the case.

I have and I guess you to have a extension of stay based on study(ED) and now you want to change that extension and base it on retirement same as I will do. That should be ok to do with not leaving the country if you have all other things correct like money etc but sounds weird but ok well I will go to immigration tomorrow and ask what hecks going on, Keep us updated and I will post my findings here also tomorrow.Good luck

Edited by INV

Yes same as you. I was told it is now the new rule.

I do my run on Friday, hopefully then it will get sorted.

Have a chat with the Belgium guy who sits by the toilet. He is well clued up.

Edited by bertty
  • Like 1

My visa hasn't expired. But I wanted to make sure I was covered just incase anything was amiss.

I was told 7 days, whether rightly or wrongly, that is what I was told.

Your edited version makes a lot more sense now.

I do have another concern that I expect to cause me a problem. I was a student in Pattaya but now live in Bangkok.

I have no doubt on Friday when I go back they will tell me I need to do the visa in Bangkok.

Also I was under the impression I can get a multi entry extension to stay ?

Edited by bertty

This has always been the rule, it's never been possible to be able to change an ED visa to a non O inside the country. You need to go out to a thai embassy and apply for a tourist visa and then go in to immigration for them to turn it in to a non O and then to issue the one year extention of stay based on retirement as long as you have the necessary documents to support this.

This has always been the rule, it's never been possible to be able to change an ED visa to a non O inside the country. You need to go out to a thai embassy and apply for a tourist visa and then go in to immigration for them to turn it in to a non O and then to issue the one year extention of stay based on retirement as long as you have the necessary documents to support this.

A non immigrant visa cannot be changed from one type to another. All that is required for an extension of stay is a non immigrant visa entry the immigration order does not specify a type for any extension.

If you have an extension of stay you can change the reason for it the visa you used for entry to the country does not matter. Many people have done it.

• Like 2

To the OP did you have a letter from school stating that you have stopped attending classes effective on the date you went to immigration so they could can cancel your current extension and change it to retirement?

If you are living in Bangkok now that is where you will have to do your extension.

If you go out and re-enter for a visa exempt entry it will not be 7 days it will be 15 days unless you are from a G7 country that get a 30 day entry.

You will need to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry in Bangkok since that is where you are living. If you only get a 15 day entry you will not be able to do it there because they require a minimum of 15 days remaining on your entry. You would need to first apply for a 30 day extension for the 15 day entry.

I suggest rather than doing just a border run that you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visa.

A non immigrant visa cannot be changed from one type to another. All that is required for an extension of stay is a non immigrant visa entry the immigration order does not specify a type for any extension.

If you have an extension of stay you can change the reason for it the visa you used for entry to the country does not matter. Many people have done it.

Agree with ubonjoe that extensions for retirement purposes only requires a non-immigrant visa without regard to type (ED, O, B, etc.). Cannot say for certain, but it appears this requirement to not change the extension basis for a Non-ED is because of the Immigration order3 27/2557 effective August 29 changes for Extensions for ED visas. Perhaps Immigration is interpreting the restriction to 90 days but no more than one year for informal schools to preclude granting a one year extension, even if being requested for retirement instead of education.

My visa hasn't expired. But I wanted to make sure I was covered just incase anything was amiss.

I was told 7 days, whether rightly or wrongly, that is what I was told.

Your edited version makes a lot more sense now.

I do have another concern that I expect to cause me a problem. I was a student in Pattaya but now live in Bangkok.

I have no doubt on Friday when I go back they will tell me I need to do the visa in Bangkok.

Also I was under the impression I can get a multi entry extension to stay ?

"I have no doubt on Friday when I go back they will tell me I need to do the visa in Bangkok."

I think if you have proof of current address in Pattaya that should not be a problem.

"Also I was under the impression I can get a multi entry extension to stay ?"

No. An extension does not give you exit/enter rights, only the right to stay in country. If your Ed Visa still has not expired, once you get the extension, DO NOT use the visa to enter the country. Use a re-entry permit or else the extension will die.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

If you even are remotely considering traveling outside of the country after you procure your retirement based extension, make absolutely certain you fork over the baht specifically for a multiple re-entry permit. Or else your coveted retirement extension will be null and void upon your return, per Suradit69's observation. Learned this the hard way a while back.

To the OP did you have a letter from school stating that you have stopped attending classes effective on the date you went to immigration so they could can cancel your current extension and change it to retirement?

If you are living in Bangkok now that is where you will have to do your extension.

If you go out and re-enter for a visa exempt entry it will not be 7 days it will be 15 days unless you are from a G7 country that get a 30 day entry.

You will need to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry in Bangkok since that is where you are living. If you only get a 15 day entry you will not be able to do it there because they require a minimum of 15 days remaining on your entry. You would need to first apply for a 30 day extension for the 15 day entry.

I suggest rather than doing just a border run that you make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate and get single entry non-o visa.

Yes I had a letter from the school. I was at school in Pattaya my last stamp was in Pattaya and when I showed this to immigration in Bangkok they said I would need to change my reason to stay in Pattaya.

I was told by the Belgium guy in the immigration office all I needed to do was run up to the Cambodian border get a change of entry head back to Pattaya and he would sort it out.

As I said before 4 people in the immigration office told me it was now not possible to change visa in the country. Army orders.

BTY I'm from England so looks like I will get 30 days when I re enter.

I shall see what happens after the border run tomorrow, if it still isn't any good then I will go to Bangkok on Monday morning.

Suradit, how would I have proof of address if I live in Bangkok ?

Edited by bertty

I can Confirm what op say. I just come back from immigration in Pattaya, I went to find out what's going on and I talked to the same Belgium guy. I have a extension based on study(Ed) and want to change to retirement extension and I was told I have to do a visa run to Cambodia, get in my case 15 days(depend on country) and then go back to immigration.

If I understand him correct and I ask 2 times. I don't need to rush back to immigration but within this 15days but I will still go next day just in case. I always thought that when I leave the country without re-entry permit my visa would be automatically canceled but he say no.

I will also have letter from school the day I stop but not sure what date I should get that, same day as my visa run I guess but then the next day I go to immigration I would have maybe 1 day overstay?(I just thought about that)

So this is new rules and would be so f*****ng great if some official source could inform about this in public. Would be great for people that coming last day on their visa (as I had planned)and get this in the face on no time for planning. We do have a life outside the visa BS but I know we are not that important

Big thanks to OP bertyy that saved me a big mess so I have time to plan for this and also a Great thanks to the Belgium guy at immigration, Mr. Robert Freddy.

Edited by INV

Yes same as you. I was told it is now the new rule.

I do my run on Friday, hopefully then it will get sorted.

Have a chat with the Belgium guy who sits by the toilet. He is well clued up.

Robert is a great guy, very helpful and knows everything about Immigration policy.

Did my visa run this morning to Cambodia got a 30 day stamp then back to Jomtien to immigration. Put my paperwork in and all seems to be in order. I had to pay 3900 baht but because I got back late I have to pick my passport up on Monday morning. So no need to go to an embassy just get a stamp on the border and you are good to go.

Glad to be of assistance. BTY you wouldn't have a 1 day overstay if you do the school letter the same day you do the border run, as you will be re entering on the 30 day or 15 day visa and not the ed visa.

Edited by bertty

Did my visa run this morning to Cambodia got a 30 day stamp then back to Jomtien to immigration. Put my paperwork in and all seems to be in order. I had to pay 3900 baht but because I got back late I have to pick my passport up on Monday morning. So no need to go to an embassy just get a stamp on the border and you are good to go.

Glad to be of assistance.

Hi

ok sounds great then but what was 3900 for?1900 is normal so you mean they charge you 2000b extra for what?

Did your school paper,last day in school say today? I still dont understand why they do this whole thing but you come back with a

normal 30 day stamp and then they change that to a retirement extension 12month? Well we see what your passport say

on Monday and hope all good. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Not sure why it was 3900 I was expecting 1900. Maybe it was because it was a double change. The guy in front of me paid the same as I did.

As for my school letter, mine was dated yesterday rather than today, but the ed visa wasn't canceled, so there doesn't seem to be any thing to worry about there.

Im not unhappy about paying 3900 as its still 35000 cheaper than the agent i asked quoted me.

Edited by bertty

Hi

ok sounds great then but what was 3900 for?1900 is normal so you mean they charge you 2000b extra for what?

Did your school paper,last day in school say today? I still dont understand why they do this whole thing but you come back with a

normal 30 day stamp and then they change that to a retirement extension 12month? Well we see what your passport say

It is 2000 baht for the conversion to a non immigrant visa. And then 1900 baht for the extension.

Jomtien will do it all in one trip if you have the money in the bank for 60 days or are using the the income method.

Hi

It is 2000 baht for the conversion to a non immigrant visa. And then 1900 baht for the extension.

Jomtien will do it all in one trip if you have the money in the bank for 60 days or are using the the income method.

Aha great so this way I cancel my old extension when I leave and coming back on a 15 day stamp in my case and then they change that to a 12 month extension based on retirement?Does not my so called real visa, the Non O matter here? Ok I see now they convert that 15 day to a new Non O?

Edited by INV

Aha great so this way I cancel my old extension when I leave and coming back on a 15 day stamp in my case and then they change that to a 12 month extension based on retirement?Does not my so called real visa, the Non O matter here? I mean its not in play anymore after I left the country or maybe I just mix up things.

If you leave the country and re-enter without a re-entry permit your extension is gone.

You first have to apply for a non immigrant visa entry and then the extension..

Aha great so this way I cancel my old extension when I leave and coming back on a 15 day stamp in my case and then they change that to a 12 month extension based on retirement?Does not my so called real visa, the Non O matter here? I mean its not in play anymore after I left the country or maybe I just mix up things.

If you leave the country and re-enter without a re-entry permit your extension is gone.

You first have to apply for a non immigrant visa entry and then the extension..

ok now iam confused. Immigration did not say anything about a re-entry permit?And did op have one?not see that.They just told me to leave for a visa run come back.So first now I have to get a re-rentry visa? then do visa run and then go immigration and apply for a extension for 1year?This not make any sense. So they just made up a new rule to make money?This will first cost me 1900 for e-entry then 1900 for 12month extension and then 2000 for converting my 15 day stamp to a retirement extension???

You don't need a re entry permit. You are coming back in on the 15 day stamp not the ed visa.

I just went to the border got the stamp and came back. Its simple, its just all this terminology that makes it seem harder than it is. I didn't pay anything at the Cambodian border either. Tho this might have been taken care of by the company I went with.

Best to stop reading here now as it just makes it seem far more complicated than it is.

Very confusing as if I leave with out a re-entry visa my extension is not valid anymore. So then I come back on 15 day stamp and immigration convert that to a 12 month extension based on retirement? Of course I have all the other correct paperwork.I did not know that they could convert a 15 day stamp that way to a extension for retirment. As I will go the last day of my extension I need to get it all correct so better to ask one time to many blink.png .Thanks bertyy and please let us know on Monday how it all worked out if you have the time and I really appreciate all your updates.