Villagers want NACC to probe Thai industry minister for his gold mining links

webfact

Villagers want NACC to probe industry minister for his gold mining links

266789-imagejpeg-418058-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A petition was submitted to the National Anti-Corruption Commission today by a group of villagers demanding an investigation into the conduct of Industry Minister Chakkramont Phasukvanich over his previous connection with gold-mining business.

The group claimed to represent people in Lop Buri, Saraburi, Phichit, Phitsanuloke and Petchabun provinces where gold mining operations are under way. The petition was received by Mr Phisit Pattanakitchamroon, a special expert on corruption.

The petitioners claimed by Industry Minister Chakkramont used to be a shareholder in the Akkara mining company or Akkara Resources gold-mining company and a board director of CIMB bank which is key financier of the mining business.

Mrs Wanpen Promrangsan, a representative of the group, said that even though Mr Chakkramont had already resigned from the bank and disposed of his shares in the mining company, it was not enough to ensure that he would protect the interest of people affected from the effects of mining activities.

She said that large tracts of land namely 70,000 rai in Saraburi, 160,000 rai in Lop Buri and 400,000 rai in Phitsanuloke had been concessioned to gold mining companies .

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/villagers-want-nacc-probe-industry-minister-gold-mining-links/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-11

• Like 1

The petitioners claimed by Industry Minister Chakkramont used to be a shareholder in the Akkara mining company or Akkara Resources gold-mining company and a board director of CIMB bank which is key financier of the mining business.

Conflict of interest?
Taking advantage in his official function?
personal enrichment?
bribery?
whistling.gif

• Like 1

Conflict of interest?

Taking advantage in his official function?

personal enrichment?

bribery?

whistling.gif

"used to be" ... where is the conflict of interest?

Perhaps the Minister of Industry gives the mining rights exclusive to companies at which he is privately involved?

Perhaps the Minister of Industry gives the mining rights exclusive to companies at which he is privately involved?

Which companies is he currently "privately involved"?

Minister Chakkramont used to be a shareholder in the Akkara mining company or Akkara Resources gold-mining company.

If you are Interested:

http://www.dailynews.co.th/Content/economic/262992/

Edited by tomacht8

Minister Chakkramont used to be a shareholder in the Akkara mining company or Akkara Resources gold-mining company.

If you are Interested:

"used to be", so in other words, "not currently".

• Like 2

If you are Interested:

"used to be", so in other words, "not currently".

He sold his shares recently, as it is in the article.

Is it good if the NACC checking this.

An assets and wealth check should be obligatory upon every high official and politician.

An assets and wealth check should be obligatory upon every high official and politician.

He most likely sold his shares when he became minister. As such he would no longer be "privately involved" with the company. Therefore, (back to your original comment) there would be no "conflict of interest".

• Like 1

He most likely sold his shares when he became minister. As such he would no longer be "privately involved" with the company. Therefore, (back to your original comment) there would be no "conflict of interest".

"used to be"

Or you think the Villagers do a PR stunt?

Edited by tomacht8

"used to be"

Correct. Before he became minister on September 1. Therefore, there is no conflict of interest.

I think the residents are concerned about their environment and the consequences of the mining industry.

And they have every right to be concerned. I am not disagreeing with that.

I am disagreeing with your statement that there is a conflict of interest. The minister no longer holds shares in Akkara mining. He is not "privately involved" with them.

I think the residents are concerned about their environment and the consequences of the mining industry.

I am disagreeing with your statement that there is a conflict of interest. The minister no longer holds shares in Akkara mining. He is not "privately involved" with them.

Conflict of interest with a question mark, please!

Edited by tomacht8

So you're not trying to say there was a conflict of interest because he used to own shares?

So you're not trying to say there was a conflict of interest because he used to own shares?

That he was an influential person in finance and in the mining industry until some days before, is undisputed.
Now villagers demand the NACC to examine the independence.
That there are exist relationships of the past is undisputed without naivety.
Conflict of interest? (That is a question)

Who knows what is previously expired there in the villages from mining.

So i like that the NACC check this.

Sounds cool.

Edited by tomacht8

Well, it would seem that if we apply the strict logic of some posters here, not too many politicians will be able to ever become a Cabinet Minister. Ms. Yingluck is disqualified as well, pity really.

Knowing the Thai psyche , I would want to know to whom he sold his shares to before I jumped on the no conflict bandwagon. TIT

Agreed, maybe the maid, gardener, or family driver -- the precedent has already been established.

So, why would Thai villagers, well known for their selfless dedication to the national and world communities and altruistic motives, file a petition to protest that a former shareholder would not watch out for interests for which he no longer was involved nor supervising -?- "it was not enough to ensure that he would protect the interest of people affected from the effects of mining activities."

Uh, the one side buys votes and the other side buys petitions....

Amazing......tongue.png

PS -- and look in the eyes of the guy on the left, and see past the deep poetic suffering....he thinks every day is Tuesday.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

Selling his assets to whom might be a point to me, as if he would not be involved anymore, would you really believe it, it is as evident as when Thaksin first became PM, and no double standards, do remember, don't give anyone a possibility to put a minister's honesty into doubt, for sure not in this 'clean' government the country needs!