CCTV captures theft from North Pattaya Hotel by employee

webfact

CCTV captures theft from North Pattaya Hotel by employee

hotel-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Thursday, Pattaya Police were called to a Hotel in North Pattaya, to investigate reports of an employee stealing money.

The incident occurred at the YJ Hotel situated at the Northern end of Pattaya Third Road, and was reported by Khun Achira aged 24, who arrived at work to relieve the evening Receptionist, Khun Suparak aged 28, who had already disappeared.

A check of the CCTV revealed the man had stolen money and left at 8.45pm, over 2 hours before his shift was due to end. A total of 11,500 Baht was taken by the man who had only been employed for a day.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/144634/cctv-captures-theft-from-north-pattaya-hotel-by-employee/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-09-12

What employer in his right mind would leave a first-day employee alone at night with 11,000B? Or take someone on without checking to see if they are wanted by the police? I wouldn't do that in Europe let alone here.

I agree that leaving a new employee in a position of trust on the first day was very unwise but the police check ? get real, the police in Europe would not give out that info about an employee, there are privacy laws in play. Also to expect the Thai police to check everyones new staff ? not going to happen without some sort of tea money payment and is possibly illegal under Thai law ? You are obvously not,nor have been an employer.

What employer in his right mind would leave a first-day employee alone at night with 11,000B? Or take someone on without checking to see if they are wanted by the police? I wouldn't do that in Europe let alone here.

I agree that leaving a new employee in a position of trust on the first day was very unwise but the police check ? get real, the police in Europe would not give out that info about an employee, there are privacy laws in play.

Not a question of privacy or giving out any information. If the person is wanted for something then simply informing the police of his ID and location should result in them coming round to see him.

Very common incident with receptionist / cashiers who comes into contact with money, a friend who has been ruining two restaurants for the past 20 years says, that is his only concern and headache. Same for one who owns a chain of money exchanges in pattaya, he spends more than half of his day watching and reviewing CCTV footages of his employees to make sure there is no switcheroos.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very common incident with receptionist / cashiers who comes into contact with money, a friend who has been ruining two restaurants for the past 20 years says, that is his only concern and headache. Same for one who owns a chain of money exchanges in pattaya, he spends more than half of his day watching and reviewing CCTV footages of his employees to make sure there is no switcheroos.

A good friend of my Thai son opened a quite nice restaurant, nice appearance, about 20 tables, air-con, broad menu.

As it got closer to opening day he had enormous pressure to employ: his sisters, their kids, aunts and uncles, their siblings, etc. No outsiders on the payroll.

After 60 days he put the place on the market. Why, he was being pushed fast into bankruptcy because of employee theft of large amounts of food, numerous freebie meals given to employees friends, money, equipment, one air-con, all well proven. Plus massive absenteeism.

He did try to talk to his relatives but encountered a brick wall of relatives being insulted by his insinuations. They told him in no uncertain terms he was not a nice person.

He sold and the new owner bought without employees and started a new crew.

Relatives of son's friend continue to bad mouth how unfair the boss was.

He now runs a different business employing just himself and his wife and with regular very vocal announcements that there are no jobs available and never will be.

• Like 1

I agree that leaving a new employee in a position of trust on the first day was very unwise but the police check ? get real, the police in Europe would not give out that info about an employee, there are privacy laws in play. Also to expect the Thai police to check everyones new staff ? not going to happen without some sort of tea money payment and is possibly illegal under Thai law ? You are obvously not,nor have been an employer.

In the USA, there is a movement by a Democrat lawmaker to make it illegal to ask a prospective employee if they have been convicted of a felony. This prohibition would apply even if the applicant would be handling money or securities. An employer could be stuck in the same situation as this Thai employer.

I know a receptionist in Chiang Mai at a small hotel who would let a late night guest stay at the hotel,if it was a one night only, not check the guest in and pocket the one night fee herself, no cctv.

I know a receptionist in Chiang Mai at a small hotel who would let a late night guest stay at the hotel,if it was a one night only, not check the guest in and pocket the one night fee herself, no cctv.

That happens worldwide not just in Thailand...

I know of it happening here in the UK many times even when the the hotel had a KeyCard system with full audit trail that recorded every door entry, card number and time, and the system logged the ID of the person who issued the card.

Hmmmmm.

A Thai wife wanting an EEA family member Visa to Spain is required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.

She just goes to the DSI in Bangkok, gives copies of ID, passport etc, has finger and palm prints taken and in about three weeks gets the certificate stating all OK (or otherwise). It was almost free, just 100 Baht and a three week wait.

So perhaps a condition of employment could be a police clearance Certificate and never mind what they propose in the USA?

Perhaps the world is going overboard with political correctness!

I've heard of some companies requiring new employees to make a fully refundable security deposit (paid back after 3 months) as a condition of employment.

I might have been worth it in this case.

Usually paid back on termination of employment.

Some of the sums involved are off the wall, some farangs think of it as buying a job, its not.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A good friend of my Thai son opened a quite nice restaurant, nice appearance, about 20 tables, air-con, broad menu.

As it got closer to opening day he had enormous pressure to employ: his sisters, their kids, aunts and uncles, their siblings, etc. No outsiders on the payroll.

After 60 days he put the place on the market. Why, he was being pushed fast into bankruptcy because of employee theft of large amounts of food, numerous freebie meals given to employees friends, money, equipment, one air-con, all well proven. Plus massive absenteeism.

He did try to talk to his relatives but encountered a brick wall of relatives being insulted by his insinuations. They told him in no uncertain terms he was not a nice person.

He sold and the new owner bought without employees and started a new crew.

Relatives of son's friend continue to bad mouth how unfair the boss was.

He now runs a different business employing just himself and his wife and with regular very vocal announcements that there are no jobs available and never will be.

The wife told me a long time ago, she will NEVER employ family, reason, its easy to sack the deadbeats and free loaders, not my family not my problem.

If you want to run a business here, run one, if you want to start a welfare project, by all means go ahead, dont confuse one with the other.

The mrs and I only deal with, Chinese, Muslims and Southern people, only ones with a work ethic.