First one Samui: Roadside vehicle inspection

These Military guys are busy, not just with vehicles but sorting out the side walk obstructions between Bophut and Maenam the other day... perhaps other areas too?

Turned up at Angela's the other day they told her she was enchroaching on Tessaban land about 2 metres,. They gave her 2 weeks to to clear it or they would do it them selves and send her the bill.

• Like 2

These Military guys are busy, not just with vehicles but sorting out the side walk obstructions between Bophut and Maenam the other day... perhaps other areas too?

Turned up at Angela's the other day they told her she was enchroaching on Tessaban land about 2 metres,. They gave her 2 weeks to to clear it or they would do it them selves and send her the bill.

Feel sorry for bakery I like it in there lucky ,most people sit inside and they out door bit is hardly used much

• Like 2

Good on them. The lack of road safety in Samui is appalling. The conditions are beyond dangerous. And nobody has done anything about it, ever. Not the mayor, not the police, not the "tourist authorities", not the Surat Thani govt, and not the central govt. Nobody cares. Let them get injured, maimed or die, is the attitude amongst all authorities. So, good on the army for caring, and doing something. We all appreciate this. Now, they can move onto:

1. Unlicensed drivers. Especially 11 year old kids driving motorbikes.

2. Speeding fools, who have nowhere to go, but are in a hurry to get there. And in the process put themselves, their passengers, their families, and all of us at risk.

3. Reckless truck drivers. Especially the cement trucks.

4. Reckless and aggressive taxi drivers.

5. Motorcyclists who are driving out of their minds.

6. Drunk drivers.

7. Drivers without a helmet. The risk is horrendous, and the level of foolishness required for such an act boggles the mind. Especially on Samui. Yes, it is a lovely tropical island. But, it is the most dangerous tropical island in the world to drive a motorbike, and to drive one without a good helmet is akin to playing Russian Roulette with two bullets in the barrel.

There is no deterrent on Samui. I do not think the police have ever written a speeding or a DUI ticket or made such an arrest. Shame on them. If you are going to wear the uniform, at least pretend to be a law enforcement officer, OK?

Excellent post, but no 7? I don't care about riders not wearing helmets, they are only potentially harming themselves, if they want to be that stupid, then hell mend them.

• Like 1

Good on them. The lack of road safety in Samui is appalling. The conditions are beyond dangerous. And nobody has done anything about it, ever. Not the mayor, not the police, not the "tourist authorities", not the Surat Thani govt, and not the central govt. Nobody cares. Let them get injured, maimed or die, is the attitude amongst all authorities. So, good on the army for caring, and doing something. We all appreciate this. Now, they can move onto:

2. Speeding fools, who have nowhere to go, but are in a hurry to get there. And in the process put themselves, their passengers, their families, and all of us at risk.

6. Drunk drivers.

7. Drivers without a helmet. The risk is horrendous, and the level of foolishness required for such an act boggles the mind. Especially on Samui. Yes, it is a lovely tropical island. But, it is the most dangerous tropical island in the world to drive a motorbike, and to drive one without a good helmet is akin to playing Russian Roulette with two bullets in the barrel.

There is no deterrent on Samui. I do not think the police have ever written a speeding or a DUI ticket or made such an arrest. Shame on them. If you are going to wear the uniform, at least pretend to be a law enforcement officer, OK?

Excellent post, but no 7? I don't care about riders not wearing helmets, they are only potentially harming themselves, if they want to be that stupid, then hell mend them.

I would keep No 7 in, if only to try and protect those children being carried on bikes where the adult riding the bike has not given them a choice.

• Like 2

As a resident of Samui for the past four months it is quite apparent to me that the most dangerous factor and one that could be easily changed is the road rule that allows motor bikes to pass on the inside of traffic. Anywhere else in the world that I have ever been to you must only pass on the outside unless there are clearly marked separated lanes. Motor bikes on Samui can seemingly do whatever they want with impunity and it is a nightmare for car drivers to have to keep their eyes on the inside rear vision mirror as well as the outside and rear mirrors.

I think you will find that a very large percentage of the roads round Samui have a bike/motor bike lane on the left, this helps as most car and truck drivers drive as close to the centre of the road as possible.

As a resident of Samui for the past four months it is quite apparent to me that the most dangerous factor and one that could be easily changed is the road rule that allows motor bikes to pass on the inside of traffic. Anywhere else in the world that I have ever been to you must only pass on the outside unless there are clearly marked separated lanes. Motor bikes on Samui can seemingly do whatever they want with impunity and it is a nightmare for car drivers to have to keep their eyes on the inside rear vision mirror as well as the outside and rear mirrors.

6. Drunk drivers.

Good post but would keep 7 because it is a dreadful and unnerving experience for passers by/drivers, not involved with the accident having to splash through slops of brain and skull all over the road.

• Like 1

We refer to that as the Buddha lane. He is protecting me, and therefore a cement truck nor any other obstacle can do me, nor my passenger any harm. We see this all the time. The level of carelessness that alot of motorbike riders exhibit on Samui is stunning. They are taking alot for granted, that is for sure.

• Like 1

We refer to that as the Buddha lane. He is protecting me, and therefore a cement truck nor any other obstacle can do me, nor my passenger any harm. We see this all the time. The level of carelessness that alot of motorbike riders exhibit on Samui is stunning. They are taking alot for granted, that is for sure.

Not confined to Thai drivers either.Have just returned from Tesco and narrowly avoided having a half-witted Farang driving his bike in a daze on the wrong side of the road.

He was totally oblivious to the danger he put himself in.( And even worse, he might have dented my truck!).

• Like 1

6. Drunk drivers.

RAK Samui is already in existence and has been for several months. (Road Awareness Kampaign Samui.) And all your points here, plus a number of others, are firmly on the agenda.

It's going to take a long time, but already we're working on school programs, BKK Airways are going to carry our warning flyers and show a short in-flight video, as is Samui Cable TV, the Samui Thai Hotels Association have agreed to join with us in a guest safety program (including tourists carrying an ID card at all times and listing authorised safe motorbike rentals) and we've had several meetings with the Rescue Services, and taken on board their advice and requests.

The last time we posted something here we were dismayed at the hugely negative response from a number of people (we don't want a police state - go back to your own country if you want this sort of thing - don't waste your time trying to change things - we want Samui to keep its freedom (!) - you can't change the Thai way of life etc etc etc). But things will change, although it will be slow.

Our Facebook group, "Roads Of Koh Samui", is mainly to collect accident photos as cumulative proof - send any you have to the group, please - but also to state our objectives and progress (six languages so far).

www.facebook.com/groups/599017576877886/

The flyers and ID cards are ready to go, the website is being constructed at the moment, as is the short movie for BKK Airway/Samui Cable TV. (See the "Roads Of Koh Samui" Facebook group.)

With this new government there's already an existing movement to straighten things out - things are beginning to happen. It can only get better.

R

Edited by robsamui

There is actually a clearly marked lane for motorbikes that's on the inside. However firstly it's mostly covered with sand and dirt so you might not have noticed it. Second, as soon as it appeared it was viewed as a parking zone for cars, totally defeating its purpose.

You'll find that all Thais everywhere overtake on the inside on their bikes - you'll just have to get used to it. The bigger problem is caused by young male tourists who hire big bikes and then dash about overtaking on the outside, as they are used to doing back home. Mix that in with the inner lane of slower scooters and it's a recipe for disaster.

R

6. Drunk drivers.

RAK Samui is already in existence and has been for several months. (Road Awareness Kampaign Samui.) And all your points here, plus a number of others, are firmly on the agenda.

It's going to take a long time, but already we're working on school programs, BKK Airways are going to carry our warning flyers and show a short in-flight video, as is Samui Cable TV, the Samui Thai Hotels Association have agreed to join with us in a guest safety program (including tourists carrying an ID card at all times and listing authorised safe motorbike rentals) and we've had several meetings with the Rescue Services, and taken on board their advice and requests.

The last time we posted something here we were dismayed at the hugely negative response from a number of people (we don't want a police state - go back to your own country if you want this sort of thing - don't waste your time trying to change things - we want Samui to keep its freedom (!) - you can't change the Thai way of life etc etc etc). But things will change, although it will be slow.

Our Facebook group, "Roads Of Koh Samui", is mainly to collect accident photos as cumulative proof - send any you have to the group, please - but also to state our objectives and progress (six languages so far).

www.facebook.com/groups/599017576877886/

The flyers and ID cards are ready to go, the website is being constructed at the moment, as is the short movie for BKK Airway/Samui Cable TV. (See the "Roads Of Koh Samui" Facebook group.)

With this new government there's already an existing movement to straighten things out - things are beginning to happen. It can only get better.

R

Keep up the good work. Thanks so much for your efforts.

• Like 1

The trouble is, trying to overtake or pass on the outside leaves you vulnerable to those crazy taxi drivers coming in the other direction, who ignore which side of the road they are supposed to drive on.