Back to backs on 30 visa exempt - a myth?

So was it all based on nothing?

As ever these dictums pop hop with little or no evidence or planning to support them....and now, despite all the sabre rattling, nothing appears to be happening.

Is this because in reality, there were hardly any people actually doing back-to-back visa exempt runs?

I would have thought that most people doing this sort of thing are prepared to pay the tourist visa fee which probably adds up as less than the cost of the extra visa runs.

There is one way to try and find out.......that is to check the number of minibuses still doing visa runs.......if the numbers have crashed then there is SOME but not conclusive evidence.

ot conclusive because it may just signify that those doing visa-less entries have switched to tourist visas, and need the minibus services less than before.

i still think that the most likely reason is that these visa runners just didn't exist in the first place.

Edited by wilcopops

There are certainly less vans going to the border now. Some companies have shut down.

Most people going to the border now have visas with entries remaining.

There still are still some going for their first (and only) visa exempt entry after flying in.

• Like 1

There are certainly less vans going to the border now. Some companies have shut down.

There still are still some going for their first (and only) visa exempt entry after flying in.

Can you explain what you mean by

"going for their first (and only) visa exempt entry after flying in?"

Thanks

The Cambodia border crossing will allow one in/out visa run after you fly into the country and you stay for the full 30 days.

You can cross the border as many times as you want as long as you don't stay for the full amount of time allowed and then turn around and immediately re-enter the country.

You could enter at the border and stay for 15 or 30 days, leave, enter another country and return a week (for example) or so later and get another entry.

That may not be a sign of stricter rules, though. There was and still is a lot of [possibly unfounded] hysteria going around about stricter enforcement of both visa exemptions and tourist visas. I know a couple people who just decided to go home and get a longer term visa. Some people moved to other Southeast Asian countries. Some decided now would be a good time to head back home for a visit and wait for this all to blow over.

People were in fact denied re-entry when doing another 'out and back in' after there first arrival was on an Exemption... This happened to friends of mine back in July. These friends did like so many others - not knowing it was supposedly wrong. They had made three border runs and had been here for a total of 120 days... 30 days Exemption and 3 Extensions. When going for the fourth Extension they were denied. And from my friend's report many others were denied at the same time. They were forced to go to Penang to get a Tourist Visa...

I would think that now anyone entering on an Exemption will get no more than one 30 day max. Extension. But with the (announced) additional Exemption of 30 more days at Immigration - I have no idea how Extensions will be handled...

I recommend to my friends to just get a tourist visa ... so much more certain and gives a lot of buffer room when the vacation is planned for just over 30 days - say 45 days total.. (or perhaps not planned - just decided to stay a little longer) - with a tourist visa - no muss - no fuss - no bother...

Wow - I wish Thai Immigration had different names Exemption / Extension - to the total newbie this can get confusing.

People were in fact denied re-entry when doing another 'out and back in' after there first arrival was on an Exemption... This happened to friends of mine back in July. These friends did like so many others - not knowing it was supposedly wrong. They had made three border runs and had been here for a total of 120 days... 30 days Exemption and 3 Extensions. When going for the fourth Extension they were denied. And from my friend's report many others were denied at the same time. They were forced to go to Penang to get a Tourist Visa...

I would think that now anyone entering on an Exemption will get no more than one 30 day max. Extension. But with the (announced) additional Exemption of 30 more days at Immigration - I have no idea how Extensions will be handled...

I recommend to my friends to just get a tourist visa ... so much more certain and gives a lot of buffer room when the vacation is planned for just over 30 days - say 45 days total.. (or perhaps not planned - just decided to stay a little longer) - with a tourist visa - no muss - no fuss - no bother...

Wow - I wish Thai Immigration had different names Exemption / Extension - to the total newbie this can get confusing.

Just curious, which border crossing were they denied reentry at?

A visa exempt entry is what you get when you enter the country without a visa or if you go out and get another one.

You apply for an extension at immigration and pay 1900 baht to get it. It is now possible to get a 30 day extension for a visa exempt entry.

For many years now I have been suggesting people get tourist visas if they plan on staying more than 30 days.

I made the same suggestion for people that were doing back to back border runs for exempt entries but some insisted it was better for them to make the border runs instead of going for a visa.

It was either Padang Besar or Sadao/Dannok I wrote it up on TVF back in July and so did my friend. I have been to the checkpoints at Thale Ban National Park not far from these and it was a much more pleasant experience but am on an Multi "O"

It was either Padang Besar or Sadao/Dannok I wrote it up on TVF back in July and so did my friend. I have been to the checkpoints at Thale Ban National Park not far from these and it was a much more pleasant experience but am on an Multi "O"

Furthermore... next week on September 19, I am going for a Border Run either to Sadao/Dannok via Hat Yai by big Bus from Krabi Town or rent a car like I did last time and drive to Thale Ban National Park ... I refuse to ride another Kamakazi Van for a round trip of 600 kilometer ... If I go to Hat Yai by bus I will hire a taxi to get to Sadao/Dannok ...

The only people I knew using regular visa exempt entries were those whose work commitments made in difficult to leave the country for long enough to get a "proper visa". Most of these people seem to have moved over to using ED visa.

The enrollment at the Ao Nang Language school where I go has tripled its enrollments in two months... I wonder why? :)

I don't think there is any hard evidence of this.

Furthermore... next week on September 19, I am going for a Border Run either to Sadao/Dannok via Hat Yai by big Bus from Krabi Town or rent a car like I did last time and drive to Thale Ban National Park ... I refuse to ride another Kamakazi Van for a round trip of 600 kilometer ... If I go to Hat Yai by bus I will hire a taxi to get to Sadao/Dannok ...

Taxi from Hat Yai to Dannok around THB 1,000. Vans going direct to Dannok from just outside the bus station, even more from the train station. Could grab a MB taxi from bus station to rail station if you just miss out on the time slot from bus station. Not quite so kamikaze but only around 50km - THB 50.

My Irish friend came in on a 30 day VE. He has now done 4 VE runs giving 14 days at land crossings each time. He tells me nooo questions asked........

It really would be helpful if people were to give complete information. Where is he doing his crossings?

My Irish friend came in on a 30 day VE. He has now done 4 VE runs giving 14 days at land crossings each time. He tells me nooo questions asked........

It really would be helpful if people were to give complete information. Where is he doing his crossings?

One at Mugdahan and three at Chong Mek...smile.png

• Like 1

A day trip to Savannakhet would get him a 2 entry tourist visa. The are doing visas on the same date applied now.

Just 1500 baht for a Lao visa and 2000 baht for the tourist visa.

I don't think it's a myth.

You saw in the news last week that plenty of Russians have up and left no not being able to do the back to back border hops.

I know of a guy who was working here illegally (teaching English), he'd been here for three and half years on various tourist visas and visa exempts. He tried to do an out/in at Ranong during the time when news of this first broke and was refused entry. Actually, he was interviewed by immigration at Ranong for more than an hour and after being initially refused entry, they gave him 7 days to get a proper visa. He's since returned to the UK.

Edited by pinkpanther99

A day trip to Savannakhet would get him a 2 entry tourist visa. The are doing visas on the same date applied now.

Just 1500 baht for a Lao visa and 2000 baht for the tourist visa.

He went on a "Holiday", was closed at Sav...........

The lucky sod is flying out next week to see the F1 GP, then flying back into LOS for another 30 day VE. But, he does have his flight tickets back to Ireland within that period.

So in all he got around 90 days in LOS on VE.

Edited by transam

The Cambodia border crossing will allow one in/out visa run after you fly into the country and you stay for the full 30 days.

You can cross the border as many times as you want as long as you don't stay for the full amount of time allowed and then turn around and immediately re-enter the country.

You could enter at the border and stay for 15 or 30 days, leave, enter another country and return a week (for example) or so later and get another entry.

Now you can extend the 30 visa exemption for a second 30days, and apply for it at your local immigration office,, No need to cross any border, but 2 - 30 day exemptions are all you are allowed to have back to back.

I have seen little here that would suggest my initial proposition is incorrect.

Some hard evidence of visa runs reducing or a boom in Ed visas would be interesting... But so far everything isnpure anecdote.

I still think the concept is largely myth

Have you never been at one of the borders and seen all the people just turning around and going back to Thailand again? And most of them getting the visa exemption. At every border every day......

• Like 1

This is the first confirmation I have read that the VE extensions are now in place at Immigration Offices.

As far as Tourist visas are concerned in the U.K. anyway, I can only relate to the obstacles now in place.

Visas cannot be obtained from the various Consular Offices around the country. Visas cannot be obtained by post. Entries cannot be made

on forms downloaded from Consular Offices. Passports have to be lodged at the Embassy in London, then collected 24 hours later or more. For those

far from London, this is just not possible, so people are tempted to try other ways.

Why is the whole issue made so difficult. If LOS want more revenue, why not charge 1000 baht on entry as other countries do and allow 60 days?

This is the first confirmation I have read that the VE extensions are now in place at Immigration Offices.

As far as Tourist visas are concerned in the U.K. anyway, I can only relate to the obstacles now in place.

Visas cannot be obtained from the various Consular Offices around the country.

Actually the Thai consulates in the UK still issue tourist visa and other types too, on the same day. But their websites are misleading and they have to be contacted in person.

I have seen little here that would suggest my initial proposition is incorrect.

Some hard evidence of visa runs reducing or a boom in Ed visas would be interesting... But so far everything isnpure anecdote.

I still think the concept is largely myth

Have you never been at one of the borders and seen all the people just turning around and going back to Thailand again? And most of them getting the visa exemption. At every border every day......

would you care to re-write that so it is more intelligible?