Shopping on Aliexpress

DogNo1

Do other TV members have experience shopping on aliexpress? I recently ordered a phone from aliexpress but the order was closed for "security reasons." For the order to be approved, they want me to send a copy of my passport or other ID, a copy of my credit card and a copy of a bank statement. A friend tells me that aliexpress is trustworthy but I am leery of sending them documents that would give them my date of birth, my social security number, my place of birth and my bank account number. A person with this information could potentially request a new credit card in my name or conduct other financial scams. If anybody has experience with buying things from aliexpress, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Could it be you were trying to ship to an address that isn't associated with your credit card? I know my credit card company gets very nervous when they see charges in Thailand and often decline the charge if I have not informed them of my location. Sometimes they even decline after I tell them beforehand that I will be in Thailand.

Unfortunately whether you yourself or your credit card are from Thailand or not, just being located here raises a red flag. It's even worse when shopping in the US, though in that case having paypal (with some history) helps.

I have ordered from aliexpress 50-60 times but mostly for pretty cheap items. I've never been queried by them so wonder whether it could be as Tim207 suggested and your CC billing and delivery address don't match or perhaps it's because this is your first purchase and a relatively expensive item.

They're part of the Alibaba Group which is reputable and about to have a massive IPO in the US. However, many of their sellers on Aliexpress are less than salubrious. Personally I don't blame you for being hesitant to send them too much personal information.

A bit off topic but have you checked the price of the same item on ebay. Generally when you can compare something directly and both are shipping from China, ebay is cheaper and you have better protection. But Aliexpress sellers are famous for underdeclaring the value of shipments and that goes a long way towards making them cheaper in the long run.

I have had the same issue with AliExpress. You can bypass the problem if you pay with Paypal. You can actually block a lot of the data you are concerned about. Obscure all but the last 4 digits of the CC copy, Do the same on the copy of the bank statement along with home address details. Passport; obscure pp number, DoB and issuing date.

All this worked for me.

I have dealt with Aliexpress with no problems during the past years, about 8 purchases, the largest about US$400. No problems at all, just registered my info as usual for such shopping sites. The info was my home address here in Phuket, phone #, CC info. I use my K-bank shopping card which is a virtual Visa card direct to my account. In shopping I look at the track record of the seller (several ratings are shown for each one eg. diamonds, stars, etc) and the customer feedback for that seller. Almost always take the free shipping option which will be China Post, usually from HK or Shenzen, arrives at my huse in a month or less. Can also use the EMS but avoid like the plague the usual express services which seem to draw the attention of the Thai customs.

I have bought but not had to supply what you have been asked for, I would be very suss as well. They just said that they were verifying my card details and the next day said it was ok, didnt have the option of paypal or I would have done that.

I am presently in Tokyo. The credit card that I used has my address in Tokyo as the billing address. My credit card company (Navy Fed) approved the transaction. The item I was trying to buy was an Octo-core 5.7 inch Android Phone for $243. I'll check out the seller's credentials and then try to pay via Paypal. If that doesn't work, I'll send the photocopies but obscure the sensitive data as has been suggested. The reports of aliexpress being reliable corroborates what I heard from a friend here. Thanks to all for their advice.

Unfortunately whether you yourself or your credit card are from Thailand or not, just being located here raises a red flag. It's even worse when shopping in the US, though in that case having paypal (with some history) helps.

I have ordered from aliexpress 50-60 times but mostly for pretty cheap items. I've never been queried by them so wonder whether it could be as Tim207 suggested and your CC billing and delivery address don't match or perhaps it's because this is your first purchase and a relatively expensive item.

They're part of the Alibaba Group which is reputable and about to have a massive IPO in the US. However, many of their sellers on Aliexpress are less than salubrious. Personally I don't blame you for being hesitant to send them too much personal information.

A bit off topic but have you checked the price of the same item on ebay. Generally when you can compare something directly and both are shipping from China, ebay is cheaper and you have better protection. But Aliexpress sellers are famous for underdeclaring the value of shipments and that goes a long way towards making them cheaper in the long run.

Have you to pay any Thai duty, import taxes or other charges?. I am thinking of purchasing a $US50 item from them but keen to pay additional for the sake of Thai import charges or duty etc.

I recently ordered a "reward program" item from one of the Frequent Flyer companys and was hit by import taxes roughly equating to the buying price of the item hence my nervousness. I didn't find out until after the item was shipped and my credit card charged.

Thailand and China have a FTA under which most electronic items attract no duty, only 7% VAT. I think that is the reason that most shipments that pass through the postal system from China don't get much attention from customs.

Apparently the value at which they deem it worthwhile to collect the VAT is THB1000. From my experience Aliexpress sellers often don't mention any value on the declaration and 95% of the time they are delivered without being withheld.

I should note that I have only ever imported electronics, cables, small tools etc etc. and they're generally not big packages. It might be a completely different situation with textiles or something else. In that case I have no idea.

Personally I would be perfectly happy to pay 7% VAT on every shipment, if only it didn't also mean several days delay and someone making a trip to the post office to queue and collect it. But I'm not complaining - the situation is much, much better than it was several years ago.

• Like 1