End of Sterling Traveller's Cheques?

Went to order some on Friday. Was told, "We don't have any, and we can't get hold of them any more. They are being phased out. Any you already have will continue to be honoured."

Anyone heard anything about this?

Found a mention on this blog: http://blog.shearings.com/its-time-to-say-goodbye-to-travellers-cheques/

Edited by phetphet

Were you trying to order them in Thailand or UK?

I would think travelers' cheques would be far less popular generally these days and particularly in the less attractive currencies.

They may want to hold off printing more until after Scotland becomes independent. Demand for sterling will probably be even less then.

They were never popular in the US. Trekked around Boston as a tourist for two days trying to cash them. Even American Express didn't want to know... and they were Amex dollar cheques. Eventually they agreed to cash small denomination cheques on a daily basis at their clearing centre. What fun that was. The banks regarded them (and me) with great suspicion. Didn't experience as much hostility in the UK or Philippines.

Were you trying to order them in Thailand or UK?

I would think travelers' cheques would be far less popular generally these days and particularly in the less attractive currencies.

They may want to hold off printing more until after Scotland becomes independent. Demand for sterling will probably be even less then.

I ordered them in the UK.

I always like to take a mixture of cash, T/C's, and credit cards for ATM use. If the worst ever happens and things are stolen, at least I can claim insurance on the T/C's.

Nowadays, since Thai banks increased the encashment fee for T/C's, I order the biggest denominations possible to reduce costs.

• 4 weeks later...