Can I use my HUAWEI Mobile WiFi Smart?

Duggsie

I have the HUAWEI E355 Mobile WiFi Smart USB wireless device which I believe provides both 2G and 3G wireless Internet access.

It's a couple of years old and I was given it by a friend who has no more use for it, but I have never used it myself.

Does anyone know if I can use this in areas where other Broadband options don't exist, in Thailand?

If so, how do I go about it (what else do i have to buy etc)?

If not, what are my best options for getting Internet access where traditional WiFi access does not exist?

Thanks for any advice.

Duggsie smile.png

A picture of the device:

post-214420-0-60501000-1410696490_thumb.

Edited by Duggsie

A simple google search would reveal what you are looking for.

Interesting product.

MulitMode: The Huawei E355 can work as a data card for a single user or it can also function as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot so that up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices can be connected simultaneously. It connects to the internet within 15 seconds.

IEEE 802.11b/g/n

3G: HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS: 900/2100MHz (Maximum speed 21.6 Mbps)
2G: GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Thailand used the 2100 band for 3G. When you arrive you will need to purchase a Pre-Paid 3G SIM (AIS, DTAC, True H, TOT 3G, etc), select a 3G Internet 'package' (how much DATA or TIME you wish to buy), and 'top up' (place funds on) the number - usually done by visiting a nearby 7-11 or mobile phone kiosk.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

A simple google search would reveal what you are looking for.

Interesting product.

MulitMode: The Huawei E355 can work as a data card for a single user or it can also function as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot so that up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices can be connected simultaneously. It connects to the internet within 15 seconds.

IEEE 802.11b/g/n

3G: HSPA+/HSPA/UMTS: 900/2100MHz (Maximum speed 21.6 Mbps)

2G: GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

(Posted prior to your own edit, which expanded your advice to include Thai relevant information. Many thanks for that. thumbsup.gif )

Thanks (but what's a "Google search"?).

I am hoping to receive some personal advice and reccomendation(s) from those with either experience of this particular device (which I've never used, myself) or with an alternative option.

Can't beat first-hand knowledge and experience from those "in the know" and with particular relevance to Thailand (maybe there are black-spots or something - who knows? Not I). blink.png

Long live the knowlegeable and almost invariably helpful ThaiVisa community. wai.gif

Thanks, anyway.

Duggsie.

Edited by Duggsie

I doubt you'll find many people on this forum who have first-hand experience or knowledge with this particular device.

Oh look, a google search revealed this single ThaiVisa thread:

Started by samuijimmy, 2012-08-24 18:18
a bit convoluted, but eventually they identify it and say they get it working.
Most people would do better to purchase one or multiple "3G Pocket WiFi" portable Hotspot devices that operates on the 3G frequencies of the Countries they visit and be done with it.
  • Like 1

google is internet browser.

you need to buy a sim package from true mine is basic at 299 baht but has a limited download allowance included is 100 mins of free calls,plug into usb or transfer sim to smartphone and internet away i know you can get wifi from it at hotspots but dont myself go there so no advice gl.

Edited by Brit_Doggie
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I doubt you'll find many people on this forum who have first-hand experience or knowledge with this particular device.

Most people would do better to purchase one or multiple "3G Pocket WiFi" portable Hotspot devices that operates on the 3G frequencies of the Countries they visit and be done with it.

YOU NEED TO BUY A SIM PACKAGE FROM TRUE MINE WAS 299 BAHT BUT LIMITED ALLOTED DOWNLOADS WITH SAID PACKAGE I GET A 100 FREE MINS CALL TIME.GL

Brilliant!! wai.gif

So basically, it appears that all I need to do is buy a TRUE Mobile Internet PAYG plan and top-up at any 7/11 (just like a regular PAYG sim) as and when my credit runs low.

Pleased I asked the question and equally pleased with your helpful responses.

Thanks very much.

Duggsie smile.png

yep u got it sry caps did edit after your reply, post pay they bill you monthly pay at 7 eleven or true if late payment, oh and dont forget your passport every thai person is intrigued in seeing mine when i purchase something like this lol

Edited by Brit_Doggie
  • Like 1

You aren't limited to a TRUE H SIM. Choose for the best reception and most suitable package.

I use an AIS/One2call SIM with an 8GB allowance that costs 999 baht. After the 8GB is used up, it defaults to 2G SPEED FOR THE REST OF THAT MONTH.

i

i didn't want to buy the company only the internet and 100 minutes will do me, geez 999 baht when a free modem and 650 baht fee per month is sufficient albeit no free calls lol.

You aren't limited to a TRUE H SIM. Choose for the best reception and most suitable package.

I use an AIS/One2call SIM with an 8GB allowance that costs 999 baht. After the 8GB is used up, it defaults to 2G SPEED FOR THE REST OF THAT MONTH.

i

Thanks and I hope this is not a stupid question but, do you mean you then only get 2G even if you top-up or do you mean that, after the 8GB is used up you still get access (effectively for free) but with a reduced speed from 3G to 2G?

Sorry, again, if that sounds dumb of me. blink.png

Duggsie smile.png

When used the free gb or mb as in my case you still get internet for the whole month at a reduced speed or you can top up to increase speed for dl purposes ok gl man.

P.S will say this even though i used my mb up fast it still runs better than wifi ever will do and i play games online watch youtub movies so all sweet.

Edited by Brit_Doggie
  • Like 1

PS.

I don't (knowingly) intend "downloading" much, if anything, although I do realise that every Internet page we visit involves a small "download" of information.

I plan to use the Internet for information and a (very little) Social Networking (not having many friends sad.png ) and I also plan to use my cheapo Nokia Asha 210 for making phone calls (it is a "semi-Smart", Dual-Sim, phone but only capable of 2G Internet access and as I plan to leave my regular UK sim on-board, I will need to find out how to block that Sim's WiFi access so i don't get charged, somehow, by my UK Mobile Service provider).

So I'm guessing I need one Sim Plan for the HUAWEI (to facillitate my PC's Internet access) and another Sim Plan for my Nokia in order to make and receive regular phone calls and texts.

Unless someone can correct me.

(This is all so confusing to a Dumn-Nuts like me)!!

Continued thanks to everyone for your equally continuous help and support.

Duggsie smile.png

Edited by Duggsie

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

YOU NEED TO BUY A SIM PACKAGE FROM TRUE MINE WAS 299 BAHT BUT LIMITED ALLOTED DOWNLOADS WITH SAID PACKAGE I GET A 100 FREE MINS CALL TIME.GL

Brilliant!! wai.gif

So basically, it appears that all I need to do is buy a TRUE Mobile Internet PAYG plan and top-up at any 7/11 (just like a regular PAYG sim) as and when my credit runs low.

Thanks very much.

Duggsie smile.png

You can buy a complete package: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/inet/entry/583?ln=en

But what might be better is if you buy just a SIM. Usually around 49 baht. You can top it up with a small amount and then apply a data package by sending a short code to a particular number. This will allow you to test the service before splashing out.

Here is an example of DTAC 3/4G packages: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html As you can see, you can get up to 12GB per month with DTAC. But of course only useful is DTAC is good at your chosen location.

• Like 1

PS.

I don't (knowingly) intend "downloading" much, if anything, although I do realise that every Internet page we visit involves a small "download" of information.

I plan to use the Internet for information and a (very little) Social Networking (not having many friends sad.png ) and I also plan to use my cheapo Nokia Asha 210 for making phone calls (it is a "semi-Smart", Dual-Sim, phone but only capable of 2G Internet access and as I plan to leave my regular UK sim on-board, I will need to find out how to block that Sim's WiFi access so i don't get charged, somehow, by my UK Mobile Service provider).

So I'm guessing I need one Sim Plan for the HUAWEI (to facillitate my PC's Internet access) and another Sim Plan for my Nokia in order to make and receive regular phone calls and texts.

Duggsie smile.png

lol u da man you know your own answers already so not so dumb,i surely will be having a beer or 3 on you tonight just for making me smile thx.

• Like 1

Brilliant!! wai.gif

Thanks very much.

Duggsie smile.png

You can buy a complete package: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/inet/entry/583?ln=en

But what might be better is if you buy just a SIM. Usually around 49 baht. You can top it up with a small amount and then apply a data package by sending a short code to a particular number. This will allow you to test the service before splashing out.

Here is an example of DTAC 3/4G packages: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html As you can see, you can get up to 12GB per month with DTAC. But of course only useful is DTAC is good at your chosen location.

Very pertinent and helpful points made. wai.gif

So my next question is:

How can I find out what service providers offer the best connections (and deals) in the areas I plan to spend most of my time, being River Kwai (in the main) but also Bangkok and Pattaya wher I plan on visiting friends who live in each?

Should I just perform a Google Search or can anyone on TV save me the time and headaches by pointing me in the right direction, please?

Duggsie smile.png

PS.

Duggsie smile.png

lol u da man you know your own answers already so not so dumb,i surely will be having a beer or 3 on you tonight just for making me smile thx.

Lol. I ain't that smart though, either (couldn't even spell "Dumb" correctly) cheesy.gif

Will likely join you, this evening, in a little burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif or three! thumbsup.gif

True 3G (H) Mifi (Wifi) Dongle On Mac

Brilliant!! wai.gif

Thanks very much.

Duggsie smile.png

Very pertinent and helpful points made. wai.gif

So my next question is:

How can I find out what service providers offer the best connections (and deals) in the areas I plan to spend most of my time, being River Kwai (in the main) but also Bangkok and Pattaya wher I plan on visiting friends who live in each?

Should I just perform a Google Search or can anyone on TV save me the time and headaches by pointing me in the right direction, please?

Duggsie smile.png

In Bangkok and Pattaya, all Networks will be available. Don't know about Kanchanaburi, but since it is a popular spot, I can imagine there are suitable masts there.

There are a lot of options available.

For AIS/One2Call; this is but one option: 3G UNLIMITED NETSIM for 50 baht.

Boost your online experience to the fullest. Subscribe now and get bonuses!

Free! Unlimited data usage (Max 3G speed usage for 100 MB for 1 day)

Free! 15 Baht calling bonus

Special 89 Baht add-on package for unlimited data usage at max 3G speed for 300 MB, valid for 7 days. Plus, unlimited AIS Wifi for 7 days.

One SIM can be compatible with mobile devices with either standard-size or micro-size SIM card

Have a look through lomatopo's posts. He might have the packages listed.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu