Bike Tax Renewal Confusion

Fullstop

Read this on a bike site...

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/motor_vehicle_tax

the tax sticker renewal can be processed at any Land Traffic Office in any province, regardless of your registered address written in the registration book, so you can take care of it outside Bangkok if it's convenient for you.

My bike is registered in Chanthaburi and I recently moved to Chonburi. I don't have a work permit yet so I can't get new Chonburi plates. I was planning to ride down to Chanthaburi and renew....then I read the above.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also... my renewal is due Sept 30th. I need to do a Non B visa run at that time. Is it possible to renew my sticker/insurance a few days earlier? (Planning to ride bike to Mukdahan).

Cheers.

Read this on a bike site...

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/motor_vehicle_tax

the tax sticker renewal can be processed at any Land Traffic Office in any province, regardless of your registered address written in the registration book, so you can take care of it outside Bangkok if it's convenient for you.

My bike is registered in Chanthaburi and I recently moved to Chonburi. I don't have a work permit yet so I can't get new Chonburi plates. I was planning to ride down to Chanthaburi and renew....then I read the above.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also... my renewal is due Sept 30th. I need to do a Non B visa run at that time. Is it possible to renew my sticker/insurance a few days earlier? (Planning to ride bike to Mukdahan).

Cheers.

2yrs back when purchasing mine I was told I had to do the next registration in another office. Reason was when I changed the owners name on the rego, the last owner was in the Phra Nakhon area.. I am in the Bang Khun Tian area.. Its all in Thai but I did see something about paying registration online on the www.dlt.go.th website.

It might be worth a look using your browser to translate.

Via the website... they'll probably post my new sticker to my address in Chanthaburi. I'm trying to avoid a trip to there.

...and I can't change my address/plate until I have a new work permit. (In a couple of months) For now I must keep it registered in Chanthaburi.

Edited by Fullstop

check the shops with traffic signs or ask for a second hand bike shop.

just pay extra on top, hand the documents and they do it for you and they can make things happen easier than a farang going to traffic office. besides no hassle.

• Like 1

My two burning questions remain...

1. Can you renew a tax sticker out the bikes home province? (Not changing the address)

2. Can you renew a few days early?

wai2.gif

Yes to #2. I recently paid my annual tax and got my new tax sticker. This was about 10 days prior to expiration. You will need to show proof of insurance and bring your green book. Inspection needed also if bike is 5 years old or more.

This took only 5 minutes at Big C where they set up a desk every Saturday.

If the bikes in your name then for sure you can renew at the office behind the international school outside pattaya. You can also change the address with out a wp. My bike has a chiang mai plate with my chonburi address. You will need a residence certificate. Also lots of shops outside the office that will handle all the paperwork for very cheap.

I bought mine in Bangkok and had the shop do all the registration, so the bike's "home" is Bangkok.

But I live in Rayong province, and for five years now, just drive in to the LTO in Rayong and do the standard registration - pay insurance fee, then cross the parking lot and give my green book, insurance receipt, and appropriate baht to the desk. All done in a few minutes.

I haven't changed my registration at all, so I've got Bangkok plates but always go into the office in Rayong.