Good and Legal weapon for Defending Oneself in Thailand?

waynethor

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a tool used by coconut farmers. A bamboo shaft with a large steel hook. I carried it with me for years whenever I went on treks or country walks and it was a useful weapon on more than one occasion. A billiard ball inside a stocking is also quite effective.

If you google billiard ball and stocking you get this?

If you say it's quite effective I'll take your word for it.

post-187908-0-48775100-1411216239_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

Don't carry a weapon. Carry a brain.

You should be able to avoid or talk your way out of any situation using the brain you're carrying.

If you truly need to carry a weapon, hire someone to do it for you.

A man carries a brain.

A grunt carries a weapon.

Men hire grunts to protect them.

Totally Inexperienced BUNK...

• Like 1

My previous comment was ment to be facetious. I've lived here eight years. If the OP thinks he can even try to defend him then he's as good as dead. Remember, Thais attack in groups.

So - They attack in groups and you suggest talking them out of it or running away from a small mob or what is it that you are suggesting anyway?

OP - you are not likely to get anything except vacant minded ridicule from TVF's best fools and flippant drones...

But, I have a few suggestions... because I do not belong to the 'Clique' of fools resident on TVF...

Of course there are times when one cannot back away, run away, avoid bad situations - anyone who thinks it cannot happen is an ignorant twit...

- Mugging and robbery in a parking lot (car park for some of you)... no real chance to run - they are on you... it happens... So you are advised to throw down your wallet - may work - may not ... some thugs just want to humiliate and hurt people - in addition to robbing them...

- You are at a wedding party of some friends - it gets late - you go to your car beside the road - and there they are... they are eyeing your wife, your car, your wallet and here they are - the thugs again... who knows how far they will go?

- Road Rage -- you have no idea how it happened -- so quickly - the guy was on you -- because you got in his way a bit back down the road and he has had a bad day...

The list could go on for pages ... and the scenarios have nothing to do with inviting danger... or being reckless.

I have had such a run in (in Texas USA) a guy came screeching up in his pickup truck - tried to pin me against the wall of the supermarket as I was exiting ... he rolled down the passenger window and screamed at me .. in Spanish - likely he is an illegal alien because he cannot speak English as Hispanic Americans can do)... He started to exit with a knife in his hand... I sprayed him with with Pepper Gas laced with CS Riot gas ... a small canister I kept in my pocket... He still manged to get out - came at me - swung at me with the knife - I blocked it - his knife and my glasses fell to the ground... THEN - the gas took effect fully ... he was shaking his head - rubbing his eyes.. he stumbled back into his truck - and spun out weaving all over the parking lot...

Run away - SURE - yeah -- that would have worked as he would have killed me with his pickup truck... What fools who think confrontation is always avoidable ... I AM ALIVE and in ONE Piece because of a little gas canister and the knowledge of how to use it ... Stupid people who don't know anything about real life - should go home to Mommy..

To this day -- I can only think it was mistaken identify ... I have no idea what it was all about...

• Like 2

For me the best defensive weapon is my own body as trained in Kickboxing and self defense, we were trained how to handle attackers with weapons, speed is key and having that confidents of knowing how to fight gives a person a kind of oar about them and in return are less likely to get attacked.

For me the best defensive weapon is my own body as trained in Kickboxing and self defense, we were trained how to handle attackers with weapons, speed is key and having that confidents of knowing how to fight gives a person a kind of oar about them and in return are less likely to get attacked.

Not everty body is in said physical shape to do such things and when i was a young guy i have seen bouncers and so called martial artists having the living sh@t kicked out of them by street brawlers.

I always thought it was a joke. I guess not.

Let me guess you googled oar and martial arts / kickboxing... Well done my son, you are very clever and probable very hamsun man clap2.gif Don't give up your day job cheesy.gif

I always thought it was a joke. I guess not.

Let me guess you googled oar and martial arts / kickboxing... Well done my son, you are very clever and probable very hamsun man clap2.gif Don't give up your day job cheesy.gif

Jujitsu.. Whats it greater then?

Oars are far to large to carry about them on their person.

Besides, as I recall, most of the guys on my crew team were big enough and strong enough to kick ass without an oar, when they got into brawls in the local bars after a race.

Edited by CaptainTyphoon
  • Like 1

Oars are far to large to carry about them on their person.

Besides, as I recall, most of the guys on my crew team were big enough and strong enough to kick ass without an oar, when they got into brawls in the local bars after a race.

Now I know where the expression "Don't Stick Your Oar In" comes from. What about double sided Kayak style oars are they any good?

OP - you are not likely to get anything except vacant minded ridicule from TVF's best fools and flippant drones...

But, I have a few suggestions... because I do not belong to the 'Clique' of fools resident on TVF...

Living in Texas without a gun? Come on that's very strange you could have left chunks of him all over the parking lot.

BTW the OP is adverse to carrying pepper spray for some reason.

Oh god, a marshal arts Walt.

We seem to be attracting a lot of these Walts recently.

Kickboxer boy, are you powerfully built and also an ex special Forces guy?

Are you Dave the Walt using a different account to get around your posting ban?

Your style of BS looks about the same.

• Like 2

Oh god, a marshal arts Walt.

We seem to be attracting a lot of these Walts recently.

Kickboxer boy, are you powerfully built and also an ex special Forces guy?

Are you Dave the Walt using a different account to get around your posting ban?

Your style of BS looks about the same.

It's gone quiet, maybe he's tied up in his wardrobe.

• Like 1

So how do I protect myself against an assailant with an oar? Just shoot them or is there a special maneuver I can use to incapacitate them?

What about Anchors? They could be very dangerous in in the wrong hands.

I have lived here for seven years and not once in that time have I been close to having any sort of physical altercation with a Thai.

How about just using some common sense and your two legs to run away if the shit hits the fan.

In retreating economies, people who are hungry have nothing to lose, including foreign aliens!

I'm seeing an escalation of violence in Thailand.

Attacks can be sudden and unless you are prepared with basic self defense training with back up of recommended, military pepper spray or an expandable baton you could be killed, or end up in a coma.

My prior military, combat training tells me common sense is be prepared!

It sounds like you have normalcy bias and one day you could experience a wake up event.

Living in Texas without a gun? Come on that's very strange you could have left chunks of him all over the parking lot.

BTW the OP is adverse to carrying pepper spray for some reason.

I have two pistols -- but at the time did not have a concealed carry permit... so I carried the non lethal but very effective gas canister... But one note to any who wish to get such a defense weapon... Not sure if it is legal in Thailand and two it is not one good to rely just on Pepper Gas alone ... If a person wants a gas canister for defense - get one - if you can -- that is Pepper gas AND CS Riot gas -- CS gas is a knock down for most people ... I have been exposed to it in the military and WOW! - couldn't breath - all I wanted to do was get away from it and couldn't because I had breathed it in and it was on my skin ... bad news - coughed for days - sore throat - burning eyes. Also - with a gas canister - blow back will happen - and you will get some in your face -- but not as bad as a direct shot... And you must always have a fresh canister - old ones poop out - lose pressure... Plus I highly recommend - Practice -- go someplace remote where you won't be bothering anyone -- spray a target at different distances -- get used to how far it will go -- not very far it turns out... and you will get some of the blow back in the practice -- a good thing - takes the surprise away from having to use it... Take some eye drops and a clean wet towel along for practice.

I have a flick knife in the car but wouldn't use it unless I had no choice.

Back in Scotland, I always carried a hammer in my car, but I never had to use it. I always also had a pick axe handle beside my door in my house, and also never had to use it. There were so many road rage attacks, and people getting attacked in their home that my attitude was, better to be safe than sorry.

I do not find it neccessary to have any sort of weapons here in Thailand, and I also know there can be exceptions, but I sure feel much safer here.