How wary are thais of Foreigners who can speak the language?

Smurkster

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I speak "fluent Thai" no Thai person can understand me when I speak to them.

They all look at me with eyes wide open and a funny expression on their faces.

I think I should not show them how fluent my Thai is as I think I am insulting their language.

But have to admit, everybody has been good to me, trying to correct me or switch to English if they see the farang is too stupid to understand that he can't speak a word of Thai language.

But I will keep trying to improve.......very young after all...........................

• Like 1

Why would they resent you for a few words you do know? You sound like you talking from soi naughty in tourist pattaya,where they must make a living off the silly farang!!

If they wanted to pull one over you im sure they would have any dozen of ways of saying the same thing which you and nearly all farangs wouldnt have a clue.

if you live in suburban BKK and deal with people in the real business it is a novelty thing. They all want to hear how you speak and what words you know.

You will know when you are improoving your ability when they repeat any unusual words you do say.. probably thinking wow i can actually understand the ting tong farang.haha

They like even the most babbling attempt at Thai. Don't forget that most Thais speak Thai Plus their own local dialect; whether it be Isan, Southern....

If they don't want us to understand what they are saying for whatever reason, they just switch. My wife still does that with her family and friends after 12 years. I love it.

• Like 1

They like even the most babbling attempt at Thai. Don't forget that most Thais speak Thai Plus their own local dialect; whether it be Isan, Southern....

If they don't want us to understand what they are saying for whatever reason, they just switch. My wife still does that with her family and friends after 12 years. I love it.

A good reason never to visit rural areas.

Stick to towns where any random Thai group are unlikely to share a local dialect.

You will recall that there used to be a subject called 'O'Level French. Hundreds if not thousands of UK children learned it, sat exams in it etc.; Only to discover than no French person could understand a word of it. I don't suppose there is 'O'Level Thai, well there are not 'O'Levels available any more except in phone boxes in the Edgware Road. Though I see Cambridge iGCSE offers Thai, along with Afrikaans. I have yet to decide which of the 80 dialects spoken in Thailand to learn. When Thais fail to appreciate my fluent Thai I just speak to them in Sassarese

• Like 1

In the few years that I have lived here OP, I have found that if you use your knowledge of the language as you have described then certainly you are going to get resentment.

If you are going to use the language, use it from the start.

Hiding your capability and only making it known to discredit people can, possibly, put you in a whole world of hurt.....................wink.png

I don't 100% agree with this.. I would not talk bad of people or behind their back in Dutch and if I did i deserved all the discredit i get. So sometimes I hide and listen and see what pops up. And sure then at some point i make it known i speak the language a bit. Other times i just flat out start with it. If people have good intentions they wont talk bad of you behind your back if they do they deserve to be exposed.

If the main way you use the language is to try and score points by playing the 'aha! I understood that!' card, then yes, they're probably a bit wary of you.

On the other hand, if you just engage them normally, you'll probably get a different reaction.

• Like 1

If there have been wary ones in the past, it is typically a certain demographic we don't need to elaborate on. Generally find surprise/intrigue if they cotton on I speak a bit as opposed to negativity. Op, if you're picking up bad vibes, avoid a certain type if bar/tourist areas ;)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In the few years that I have lived here OP, I have found that if you use your knowledge of the language as you have described then certainly you are going to get resentment.

Hiding your capability and only making it known to discredit people can, possibly, put you in a whole world of hurt.....................

I don't 100% agree with this.. I would not talk bad of people or behind their back in Dutch and if I did i deserved all the discredit i get. So sometimes I hide and listen and see what pops up. And sure then at some point i make it known i speak the language a bit. Other times i just flat out start with it. If people have good intentions they wont talk bad of you behind your back if they do they deserve to be exposed.

Understand where you are coming from, but, (and I know I shouldn't extract) when the OP has this written, it's generally not so good:

"...not letting on that I have any knowledge of the language, wait for them to say something derogatory towards me, then I jump in and inform them that infact I have understood what they have said..."

If someone is going to disrespect you, they are going to do it regardless if you speak the language or not. That has been my experience anyway.

Edited by chrisinth

If the main way you use the language is to try and score points by playing the 'aha! I understood that!' card, then yes, they're probably a bit wary of you.

On the other hand, if you just engage them normally, you'll probably get a different reaction.

Your final sentence is not necessarily true. Many times when I've spoken nicely to Thais i've recieved quite nasty and hostile responses. I'm always with my toddler.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hiding your capability and only making it known to discredit people can, possibly, put you in a whole world of hurt.....................

Understand where you are coming from, but, (and I know I shouldn't extract) when the OP has this written, it's generally not so good:

"...not letting on that I have any knowledge of the language, wait for them to say something derogatory towards me, then I jump in and inform them that infact I have understood what they have said..."

True.. that is why i said I don't agree 100% in most cases i start speaking Thai.. i live outside the tourist area's if i start speaking English there forget about it. When in tourist area's and certain situations I dont let on that I speak Thai. But not to get at them but it can be interesting at times. Other times i start in Thai later and get the why did you not start out speaking Thai remarks.

Actually even if I don't let on it seldom happens that they misuse their language advantage (that they think they have) but at times you do pick up some information or fun stuff. Derogatory stuff or cheating me.. that is rare to pick up onto and rare to happen IMHO.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

I live in Pattaya. I know. From the way locals talk it seems to me that they really HATE it when foreigners can speak Thai.

Of course they do. By understanding some Thai, you indicate that you also have some knowledge as to how Thai's and Thailand "ticks. This means, that you are less likely to fall victim to any of their schemes, unlike a "greenhorn" just off the boat.

Cheers.

2 scenarios:

- In my village they know I understand some basic Thai. Result: By entering a restaurant or store, the conversation among Thais stops or turns to "let's talk about the weather".

- In Pattaya they don't know that I understand some basic Thai. Result: This is usually the time, I deeply regret ever having made the effort to learn some basic Thai.

Alas, but this is how one learns what they really think of us. Devastating !

Cheers.

• Like 2

I knew a bar owner who was fluent in Thai, but none of the staff knew it. And they could never work out who the spy was in the camp,whenever his wife found out about their cheating ways and tricks. Clever sod!

Edited by MAZ3