Metered taxis? LOL

phuketrichard

So where are we on that much talked about bus line between the beaches? I haven't heard a peep, nor about that airport bus to Kata/Karon. Where is that land transport guy when you need him to answer questions about why none of these projects have any momentum?

The last I heard, the Mayor of Patong stated in th media that she saw a need for such a system to be implemented - which everyone has known, for years.

To date, nothing has been done, so, I really don't see any positive change here, in relation to transport.

There has been some change at the airport, but tourists would only require this journey twice on their holiday, with locals and expats requiring this journey a lot less often.

The journey most require is between the main beaches, markets, restarants and nightlife. That's Thai's working in hospitlity, tourists here on holidays, and expats going for a night out. Currently, if you live here, you need or own vehicle, and if you are a tourists, you either walk, get ripped off, or hire a vehicle.

Taxis are still off the meter, charging 400 baht just to get in, and the tuk-tuks the same - seriously, nothing has changed.

The only difference a return tourist will find here is the beach encroachment has been removed, other than that, most of Phuket's "negatives" for tourists still exist.

The smoke and mirrors act will not be enough to lure the lucrative western market and/or the "high end tourists" back here.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always seems to be the same people on TV that's gives everyone else a lot of lip service and still complains about Taxis and other crap that goes on but won't take the step to do anything about it. For taxis call 1584 and report them. Report other issues to the local officials whether or not you think they won't do anything. Don't sit on your precious behind and and bitch and whine to us because you are too buried in your own preconceived notions.

I've lived all over Thailand now for 9 years, I've seen areas where no changes took place, but what I'm seeing is a complete, yet slow, turn around by even the Thai people about getting changes made. People are fed up with the past governments not reacting but that attitude by government has changed. And it's changing because people are discovering by complaining things are now getting done because they have the support of someone who took over and demanded it. How long will that last, only speculation can answer that. But you can't just sit on your arse and complain with taking some form of action. And that action is simply not complaining here.

Is there a number that can be called to report every single driver of the taxis and tuk-tuks, in the one call, because they ALL need to be reported? biggrin.png

Seriously, the WHOLE system needs to be "reported" rather than the odd individual, who, even if he gets a small fine, continues on doing the wrong thing, and even if he loses his job, is replaced by another driver, who does the same.

They need to create flat fare mass transport system, which takes the power away from the drivers to collude to set their ridiculous prices, otherwise, nothing will change.

They arrested, from memory, 78 taxi drivers - that's "arrested" - not "reported" on a phone number - what has changed? Nothing.

I have stated the action I take. It's not like I sit on my "precious behind."

Do you know how ridiculous it is to ride to Kata ,check into in a 500 baht room for the night, just to be able to go out drinking with some friends there, and come home the next day, when sober to ride? A friend can come and pick me up, but the tuk-tuks want 800 baht to go back to Patong, late at night. I speak a bit of Thai - I've told them I'm not a tourist - they don't care.

I don't give them 1 single baht - that's the action I take, even making Kata an overnight trip to do so.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Someone not working or living here, should put up a website that allows people that take taxis or tuk tuks to upload videos of their experience. Youtube is too big to work, but for a single website that would show hundreds of these guys doing the wrong thing, might get the authorities attention...........might. In this day and age where everyone has the capability to film and upload from their phone, it shouldn't be too difficult.

<snip>

Btw.. It does make me laugh the taxi tells you that using the meter that the fair would be 200฿ and continues to tell you he will charge you 400฿!

Does not make me laugh, it really annoys me that the driver has such disrespect for his potential customer. They treat us like dirt.

• Like 1

Anyone that has ever been to Phuket knows how the taxis rip you off! It is really bad for the image of Thailand and I'm sure many people do not return to Phuket because of this! I was there twice and will never go back, ...... too many other nice beach resorts that are more welcoming

"I'm sure many people do not return to Phuket because of this! I was there twice and will never go back" - we may never know the true damage the lack of transport has done to the tourism industry on Phuket, but I have no doubt it has seen many not willing to return here, like yourself, yet, so far, the only Phuket issue that the Thai Army has addressed has been beach encroachment.

Addressing beach encroachment is simply not enough of a "fix" to lure back the western tourists to Phuket, and until they do, I can only see the tourism dollars decline on Phuket, despite steady, or rising tourist numbers, most of which demographic inject no money into the local Phuket economy.

<snip>

Btw.. It does make me laugh the taxi tells you that using the meter that the fair would be 200฿ and continues to tell you he will charge you 400฿!

Does not make me laugh, it really annoys me that the driver has such disrespect for his potential customer. They treat us like dirt.

Interestingly, his wealth must be such that he can turn down the proper fare of 200 baht, and take the risk of getting a 400 baht naive tourist, shortly after.

Yeah, these guys really must be struggling to put food on the table for their family. biggrin.png

• Like 1

UBER is up and running in Bangkok.

https://www.uber.com/cities/Bangkok

Price structure:

Base fare

฿45.00 + ฿2.50 per minute + ฿9.20 Per kilometer

Min fare

฿75.00

Cancellation fee

฿75.00

I just emailed them and asked about Phuket.

I believe it is running in Pattaya too. When I first saw this on TV I thought it will never happen in Thailand so surprised to know it is. It is supposed to be an amazing system such as if you register & download the app you can book using the app, it shows a map showing the approach of the taxi & what route it will take to get to your destination & when there simply get out as the fare will have been deducted form your nominated card or account. The driver can of course be tipped in cash if giving good service.

In my early days back home one would call a taxi from say a bar but you would never know when he arrived & the driver would have to come into the bar & call out your name. Although this was a nice user friendly system Uber streamlines that process whereby you know when the taxi is arriving so you can pay the bill & walk outside as the taxi pulls up.

Totally agree with you.

I was laughing at his stupidity to think it would be acceptable not his level of disrespect.

Im back in Phuket now again paying higher fares to go 20 mins that I could pay for an hours travel in Bkk or anywhere else.

Does anyone have a link to 'the fare prices'? Reason I ask if this morning I caught a taxi from Patong to Phuket Town for 600B.. Its rediculous but even more so that a return fare is 1300B! Why would I pay more than double for a return fare? Again.. Stupidity of Thailand.

Bagged a metered taxi from the airport the other night. 100thb surcharge and I also noticed that the fare was about 100thb more than it used to be, but, the meter was on, the car was very clean and the driver nice and polite.

I think Richard just caught a freelancer looking for an easy overcharging, heck, I've had the same happen in BKK and when I refused they just drove off. Tamada.

Bagged a metered taxi from the airport the other night. 100thb surcharge and I also noticed that the fare was about 100thb more than it used to be, but, the meter was on, the car was very clean and the driver nice and polite.

I think Richard just caught a freelancer looking for an easy overcharging, heck, I've had the same happen in BKK and when I refused they just drove off. Tamada.

The OP is talking about flagging down a taxi. Much different story to a taxi out of the airport. Even if you don't need a taxi, give it a try.

Report back what price you are "quoted" because he will refuse to use the meter. :)

The OP is talking about flagging down a taxi. Much different story to a taxi out of the airport. Even if you don't need a taxi, give it a try.

Report back what price you are "quoted" because he will refuse to use the meter. smile.png

Sure,,,,,, I'll get right on that NKM whistling.gif

Again everyone's focusing on predominantly, themselves and tourists. A local seamstress told me she was finding it very difficult to afford the fare to her hospital in town for her regular pregnancy check up. I'm sure it cannot have escaped many of you's notice of others hanging onto the back of a motosai taxi with the family shopping, can't afford a 'limo'. And as they make up the overwhelming majority of their country blink.png no public transport system of any stripe will be set up here if it's also not affordable to them! After all, even the authorities seem, to care only for their precious tourism revenue, which tourists of course come to here heavily laden down with money newly picked from trees in their home countries wacko.png

Again everyone's focusing on predominantly, themselves and tourists. A local seamstress told me she was finding it very difficult to afford the fare to her hospital in town for her regular pregnancy check up. I'm sure it cannot have escaped many of you's notice of others hanging onto the back of a motosai taxi with the family shopping, can't afford a 'limo'. And as they make up the overwhelming majority of their country blink.png no public transport system of any stripe will be set up here if it's also not affordable to them! After all, even the authorities seem, to care only for their precious tourism revenue, which tourists of course come to here heavily laden down with money newly picked from trees in their home countries wacko.png

"Again everyone's focusing on predominantly, themselves and tourists." - the tourists, expats and locals all use the baht buses in Pattaya. I see no reason why it would be any different on Phuket, should they start operating, and charge a reasonable price.

not sure if u call them freelancers,

the one i flagged down was the legal metered taxis

vs freelancers to me are all the green plated cars on the road

A local seamstress told me she was finding it very difficult to afford the fare to her hospital in town

Strange, since from all areas there are songtaews going into town, and from there buses to all hospitals.

Well it's not that bloody 'strange' if one happens to be around 7-8 months pregnant and lives two or more kilometers away from the bloody Burmese filled chicken bus route in this heat. Is it. Do at least try to empathise with those other than yourself. Particularly if they are heavily pregnant THAI women dry.png

So the meter taxi fare announced smile.png 1.September with Thb 100,- in surcharge plus additional Thb 50,- if taking a taxi from the airport and thereafter Thb 50,- for the first two kilometres and then Thb 12,- per kilometre for the next 15 kilometres and then Thb 10,- per kilometre thereafter I can forget when arriving in a few days!sad.png

"Again everyone's focusing on predominantly, themselves and tourists." - the tourists, expats and locals all use the baht buses in Pattaya. I see no reason why it would be any different on Phuket, should they start operating, and charge a reasonable price.

small high density area vs large low density island = great comparison

• Like 1

A local seamstress told me she was finding it very difficult to afford the fare to her hospital in town

Strange, since from all areas there are songtaews going into town, and from there buses to all hospitals.

Well it's not that bloody 'strange' if one happens to be around 7-8 months pregnant and lives two or more kilometers away from the bloody Burmese filled chicken bus route in this heat. Is it. Do at least try to empathise with those other than yourself. Particularly if they are heavily pregnant THAI women dry.png

Same in many, many countries worldwide.

And your flame is really strange, especially coming from somebody who on here only criticizes and never shows any empathy for anybody.

small high density area vs large low density island = great comparison

Seriously Peterocket, would it hurt them to have a similar system running only along the coast road, between the beaches, on Phuket.

It would transport hundreds of thousands of people around. Toursts, locals and expats would all use it, even though it operation predominately along the main tourist route.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

I arrived yesterday and something positive even if small and not directly related to meter taxi. The limousine service is for my destination (Airport - Phuket town) 100thb less than 5 months ago, I believe its similar reductions for other destinations!