NESDB study reveals massive wealth inequality; 15.6 million Thais deemed 'poor'

webfact

Richest 0.1%own half of nation's assets
The Nation

NESDB study reveals massive wealth inequality; 15.6 million deemed 'poor'

BANGKOK: -- CLOSE TO one in four Thais (23.5 per cent) - 15.6 million people - are considered to live in poverty, while a fraction of the population (0.1 per cent) is so rich they own nearly half (46.5 per cent) of the country's total assets, a 2012 study by the National Economics and Social Development Board found.

Wealthy Thais, in the top 20 per cent, possessed 326 times more land than the poor, while their salaries were 25 higher than the poor, the study found.

The rich own nearly 80 per cent of the land obtainable via ownership documents, while the bottom 20 per cent of owners have only 0.3 per cent of available land.

Thais in the top 10 per cent earned 39 per cent of overall income, while the bottom 10 per cent earned just 1.6 per cent of income, the NESDB found.

The poverty level in 2012 was said to have dropped from 13.2 per cent to 12.6 per cent of the total population in the previous year, but the number of poor people remains high at 15.6 million. This includes 8.4 million regarded as poorest of the poor.

A drop in the number of poor was seen to have been a result of more education provided to children in the poor families, plus government measures to lower living costs and increase incomes.

In terms of monetary assets, people who have less than Bt10 million in bank accounts represent 99.9 per cent of Thais, but they just over half of the country's wealth (53.5 per cent).

On the other side of the ledger, people with more than Bt10 million in bank accounts make up just 0.1 per cent of the population. But they own 46.5 per cent of national assets when assessed on overall value.

The 8.4 million people regarded as poorest have insufficient food and necessities, and therefore have the lowest survivable standard.

Poorest provinces

The 10 provinces where the poor live, listed from the most poor to the less poor, are: Mae Hong Son, Pattani, Narathiwat, Kalasin, Si Sa Ket, Tak, Nakhon Phanom, Sakhon Nakhon, Buri Ram and Mukdahan.

Mae Hong Son topped another sad ranking from 2000 to 2012 as it was the province with the greatest number of poor people, topping a list of eight provinces with chronic poverty. The seven other provinces were: Pattani, Narathiwat, Kalasin, Si Sa Ket, Tak, Buri Ram and Nakhon Phanom.

In terms of educational opportunity, 87.6 per cent of Thai children have attended primary schools, with 67.6 per cent going through lower secondary level, 55 per cent doing upper secondary schooling, and 28.5 per cent in the undergraduate level.

Children from the top 10-per cent (richest) have 16 times more educational opportunity than those from the poorest 10-per cent, the study found.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Richest-0-1own-half-of-nations-assets-30243892.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-23

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the poor have the comfort in knowing that, as consolation, their vote has the same weight as that of the richest person.

And the rich do not like this one bit.

And by "the rich", most are mere nouveau riche, who are as uppity as the ones we have in the West.

Well it is a fact that the disparity is wide.

I do how ever wonder how many of the poor are poor because they choose not to work or to apply them selves to their work and improve their lot in life.

It is easy to point your finger at the ultra rich but hard to take that same figure and put it to work to improve your lot in life.

This of course includes the habitual drug users and excessive drinkers.

Of whom their is a fair number here in Thailand. For some reason that factor is never mentioned.

• Like 1

I found it interesting. I would have liked to have seen the 10 richest provinces. And I wonder about the 10 Million baht in the bank statistic. I would think that a lot of Thais, at least the ones I know have their assets tied to land, house, truck, gold and the rest in the bank. It might have been better to look at Net Worth or total assets instead of what is in the bank.

Explains why we often see so many pretty esan girls down in the big smoke and Patts.

Just saying ,.....

coffee1.gif

Good to see democracy working so well in LOS.

If this country would let democracy grow then it would fruit but there are always powerful people who are trying to stop this process... but the folks are waking up and realize what is going on. Their grandparents could not read and didn't understand it, their parents could read but still didn't understand but the new generation can read and understand and they will win....

• Like 2

Well it is a fact that the disparity is wide.

I do how ever wonder how many of the poor are poor because they choose not to work or to apply them selves to their work and improve their lot in life.

It is easy to point your finger at the ultra rich but hard to take that same figure and put it to work to improve your lot in life.

This of course includes the habitual drug users and excessive drinkers.

Of whom their is a fair number here in Thailand. For some reason that factor is never mentioned.

I suppose you'd feel a sense of justification for your nonsense if the answer to your query was 15 million of the 15.6 million. But of course it isn't, so your nonsense remains just that.

I'd like to know what % of those wealthy "Thai's" are actually "Thai-Chinese" . . . I'm guessing a fairly large proportion. But they're "Thai", so that doesn't count I guess.

And your point is?

The point being, that for a country that is so xenophobic against foreigners in general and proud that they have "never been colonized", the integration of the "Chinese" (for example) into the "Thai" population has gone so deep and is rarely remarked upon, that's all.

That same "integration" certainly doesn't seem to have happened with the mixing of Thai(s) and other nationalities so far, caucasians for example . . . maybe it's still early days.

is this some ground breaking news this "new" study? It has always been this way in Thailand and doesn't look like changing coffee1.gif

Something that is rather ground breaking in this new study highlights the misconception (often repeated on the forum) that the South is supposedly so comparatively wealthy compared to the Northwest.

This myth is dispelled when two of the top three poorest provinces are in the deepest part of the South:

The 10 provinces where the poor live, listed from the most poor to the less poor, are: Mae Hong Son, Pattani, Narathiwat

It's encouraging to see that reality highlighted so as to correct the erroneous posts that contend the opposite being the case.

is this some ground breaking news this "new" study? It has always been this way in Thailand and doesn't look like changing coffee1.gif

Something that is rather ground breaking in this new study highlights the misconception (often repeated on the forum) that the South is supposedly so comparatively wealthy compared to the Northwest.

This myth is dispelled when two of the top three poorest provinces are in the deepest part of the South:

The 10 provinces where the poor live, listed from the most poor to the less poor, are: Mae Hong Son, Pattani, Narathiwat

It's encouraging to see that reality highlighted so as to correct the erroneous posts that contend the opposite being the case.

I think someone is in need of a Thai geography lesson. Mae Hon Son happens to be in the FAR North West.

If this country would let democracy grow then it would fruit but there are always powerful people who are trying to stop this process... but the folks are waking up and realize what is going on. Their grandparents could not read and didn't understand it, their parents could read but still didn't understand but the new generation can read and understand and they will win....

Win as in stopping those corrupt politicians getting back into power? I agree. Edited by Nickymaster

I think someone is in need of a Thai geography lesson. Mae Hon Son happens to be in the FAR North West.

Methinks someone is in need of a reading lesson... two out of three ain't bad!!!... and a spelling lesson!

• Like 1

Basic reading comprehension is necessary for basic participation in discussion forums.

"two of the top three" indicates one remaining province that is not in the South.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd like to know what % of those wealthy "Thai's" are actually "Thai-Chinese" . . . I'm guessing a fairly large proportion. But they're "Thai", so that doesn't count I guess.

And your point is?

The point being, that for a country that is so xenophobic against foreigners in general and proud that they have "never been colonized", the integration of the "Chinese" (for example) into the "Thai" population has gone so deep and is rarely remarked upon, that's all.

That same "integration" certainly doesn't seem to have happened with the mixing of Thai(s) and other nationalities so far, caucasians for example . . . maybe it's still early days.

80% of the top forty wealthiest Thais are Thai Chinese and they also control 80% of the Thai stock market, they have controlled the country for many years now.

Just recently read where a lot of the students are still functionally illiterate. How ever that is still as you say better than their parents.

One must ask them selves. Was Thailands future brighter under the Democratic government that was thrown out of power by the army. Or is it brighter now with them running it and openly stating their aims along with a time frame for an election.

I vote for the Army. Now as to what the future will bring we can only guess and hope. If they stick to their plan it looks bright. There are always going to be the nit pickers who will focus on one item and ignore the whole picture. That is OK because in the long road they will be shown up for what they are and what there reasonable wants for Thailand are. ZERO.

giver the army it's chance to cut down on the corruption. Don't be ignorant and say they should get rid of it all. That is a human impossibility and they admit it. They in their transparent way have admitted that after they have turned the country back over to the citizens to elect their own leaders there will still be a lot of work to do. Compare that to what the last government said. I think it was some thing like

"give me six months"

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And your point is?

80% of the top forty wealthiest Thais are Thai Chinese and they also control 80% of the Thai stock market, they have controlled the country for many years now.

How about the hill tribes people. A lot of them come from China?

And your point is?

Same in Malaysia , the Chinese Malay has all the money the native Malay has nothing, like Thailand.

Just recently read where a lot of the students are still functionally illiterate. How ever that is still as you say better than their parents.

One must ask them selves. Was Thailands future brighter under the Democratic government that was thrown out of power by the army. Or is it brighter now with them running it and openly stating their aims along with a time frame for an election.

I vote for the Army. Now as to what the future will bring we can only guess and hope. If they stick to their plan it looks bright. There are always going to be the nit pickers who will focus on one item and ignore the whole picture. That is OK because in the long road they will be shown up for what they are and what there reasonable wants for Thailand are. ZERO.

giver the army it's chance to cut down on the corruption. Don't be ignorant and say they should get rid of it all. That is a human impossibility and they admit it. They in their transparent way have admitted that after they have turned the country back over to the citizens to elect their own leaders there will still be a lot of work to do. Compare that to what the last government said. I think it was some thing like

"give me six months"

Yes, give the military its chance. And if it doesn't succeed, there is always another coup waiting in line to bring its brand of governance on the People. I'd rather see the People have another chance but they don't control the power of the nation.

Gini-coefficient of inequality: This is the most commonly used measure of inequality. The coefficient varies between 0, which reflects complete equality and 1,

http://web.worldbank...:430367,00.html

https://www.cia.gov/...r/2172rank.html

USA. 41. Thailand 64. Australia 120.

Edited by thailiketoo