How to propose to your Thai girlfriend.

sipi

Marrying a thai is like playing russian roulette! I would only do it if she was richer than me, then I wouldn't get screwed in the case of a divorce.

It appears that the posters name is closer to Lukecan-not

Divorce rate of 50%

thats 50% chance of losing 50% of your assets

Risk only worth taking if the gal is more well off, or equally well off like you. So many horror stories here of thai girls infidelity, cheating, having secret debts etc.

OP, how romantic of you...........hope the proposal was accompanied by the appropriate noises.

As I about me. I didn't propose, she said to me one day, tomorrow we are going to BKK to get married, get ready..........

No questions asked......just followed orders and we are happy ever after.

And yes, she wears the trousers round here..........

Yeah that's a good one!! lol. Good to know your happy! Well done! Glad you found the right one..

• Like 1

Marrying a thai is like playing russian roulette! I would only do it if she was richer than me, then I wouldn't get screwed in the case of a divorce.

Divorce rate of 50%

Risk only worth taking if the gal is more well off, or equally well off like you. So many horror stories here of thai girls infidelity, cheating, having secret debts etc.

Luke, a fair comment ... wink.png

I'm investing a fair amount of time before 'popping the question'.

Has been 4 years of Partnership ... Time well spent I think.

Actually, I think I'm proving a riskier proposition then she is ... w00t.gif

Marriage is for losers, over 50 percent divorce anyway. Marriage is only if you need a green card or want stay in Thailand.... If you love you don't need a piece of paper. You all have been brainwashed by church and religion.

Married. Not religious. Really not a loser. Wife is English, I'm English. We live in Nonthaburi.

Does that fit your stereotype?

If you don't like marriage why are you on a "How to propose to your Thai girlfriend?" thread? Before you ask, I'm a bit soppy as it goes and wanted to check out other people's. I didn't marry a Thai girl so my story is not relevant.

50% Damn fine odds!

Anyway Digitalnomade why are you so impassioned about marriage? Rejected? Life lacking substance? Plenty of easy and attractive ladies but come to the realisation that it is all a bit "samey"?

The issue that scares me about marriage is the financial suicide contract that you are required to sign to as evidence of “your love”.

Marriage in my opinion, was legislated out of being a good idea, now it’s not just about two people in love wanting to spend their lives together, it’s become a business decision.

Divorce rate of 50%

No risk of losing anything in Thailand, if you don't buy anything here, or take them to your home country..

I've never been married and have absolutely no intentions to change that. In my opinion, marriage is an outdated thing. I'll stay together with my girlfriend as long as we're both happy, and if one day one of us is not and we just can't solve it, it's time to move on. But that's just my personal view.

I have to agree with you on marriage. I don't believe I should have to seek someone's, some government's, or some religion's permission for me to be with the woman I love.

the trouble is if she come to live in the uk you have to get married or no visa

Divorce rate of 50%

Luke, a fair comment ... wink.png

I'm investing a fair amount of time before 'popping the question'.

Has been 4 years of Partnership ... Time well spent I think.

Actually, I think I'm proving a riskier proposition then she is ... w00t.gif

.[/color

well i married after meeting only a couple times about 6 weeks worth but had chatted online for about 2 years and yes she has more money then me in fact as for thai she like millionaire thats her family as well educated and we been together 10 years its these guys who marry bar girls and prostitutes that amaze me who have nothing and then keep them and there family while they work there nuts off or spend there life savings on pussy would you do that back in blighty i dont think so

• Like 1

We were both young and fresh out of college during those hippy days. Opened my diary, pointed to a date nearest Saturday, let's do it. We never lived together before we were married and our lovely daughters promised that they would only start having babies after they got married, with no prompting from us. A promise they stuck to. May sound old fashioned, don't care but at least we and our children did things the way we wanted. Nothing to do with religion. Things have changed and I don't have an issue with that, so long as people are happy and well adjusted, get on with their lives without bothering others.

• Like 1

Well...this thread certainly got me in the pooh.

Was sitting here reading the posts to the thread, and casually asked the wife, how and where did I propose to her...I couldn't remember..oh boy.

Guess i will be getting my own meal tonight, if so, it'll probably be a Jack OUTSIDE....biggrin.png

• Like 1

We were going to get Indian food, just as friends. As we got out of the car, she said, "I need to tell you something," and we sat down on a park bench. She was the most nervous I'd ever seen her. She said, "I want to get engaged."

I asked, "To me?"

She sort of nodded yes. That was 8 years ago.

For the naysayers, where did this "over 50% divorce rate" number come from and where is it true? It's certainly not true in the States - there the rate is something like 35% and has been dropping or stable for a couple decades at least.

I think people who get married try a lot harder to make it work, and to make it better, than people who don't. There's a reason why married people tend to be unhappier than unmarried people (statistically, not in every individual case), and I don't believe that it's just some correlation.

And no one's brought up the issue of kids. I would certainly rather be raised in a home with both my parents than have them separated, especially on opposite sides of the globe, and again the studies bear that out.

• Like 1

Marriage is for losers, over 50 percent divorce anyway. Marriage is only if you need a green card or want stay in Thailand.... If you love you don't need a piece of paper. You all have been brainwashed by church and religion.

After you learn about Thai culture you will realize that Thai married (monk ceremony not civil marriage) men have it made.

• Like 1

I will keep getting married. I don't care how many times. If they run away. I divorce them. Just so long as when I die I am married. Then Her Majesty's Government don't get their paws on a certain part of the pension for which I worked for eternity. The wife gets it.

It is not a lot of UK money, but it is a lot more than most Thai people earn.smile.png:)

Divorce rate of 50%

No risk of losing anything in Thailand, if you don't buy anything here, or take them to your home country..

She can go after my assets in my country, Turkish law recognizes amphur marriages, a lawyer will be happy to help to claim half of my assets. The good thing is only the assets you've accumulated after the marriage can be split. But I still don't think its a good thing to marry a girl from a lower income family. There will be huge cultural differences, and a big chance she's in it for the money.

I've never been married and have absolutely no intentions to change that. In my opinion, marriage is an outdated thing. I'll stay together with my girlfriend as long as we're both happy, and if one day one of us is not and we just can't solve it, it's time to move on. But that's just my personal view.

ill have to agree with you Kandi, marriage was created by the church to actually control women, then over the years its now a legal document that lawyers gain millions from when having to suffer the pains of a divorce.

Marriage means nothing to me neither, we either love each other or we don't. I don't need a sentimental gathering to prove otherwise.

two of my friends back home seem to have a great idea, they will marry (unofficially) for 1 year and 1 day, after each year they sit down and weigh up if the relationship is working or they want to move on.

I think its genius! because far too many relationships become complacent and comfortably numb once that magic paper is signed.

it makes them try harder and realize that nothing is forever. I like that... its better for the kids too if they have any.

Edited by jamiesilver

Married. Not religious. Really not a loser. Wife is English, I'm English. We live in Nonthaburi.

Does that fit your stereotype?

If you don't like marriage why are you on a "How to propose to your Thai girlfriend?" thread? Before you ask, I'm a bit soppy as it goes and wanted to check out other people's. I didn't marry a Thai girl so my story is not relevant.

50% Damn fine odds!

Anyway Digitalnomade why are you so impassioned about marriage? Rejected? Life lacking substance? Plenty of easy and attractive ladies but come to the realisation that it is all a bit "samey"?

The issue that scares me about marriage is the financial suicide contract that you are required to sign to as evidence of “your love”.

Marriage in my opinion, was legislated out of being a good idea, now it’s not just about two people in love wanting to spend their lives together, it’s become a business decision.

Perhaps that's why there is an automatic pre-nup included in the Thai Marriage certificate!

It's that little bit about recording property......

As a 30 year old I married my UK gf but really never had a clue about relationships.

My role models (Mum n Dad) were also not so good at it themselves. We managed 25 years before I left.

However, 14 years or so later, I met a fine Thai lady a few years ago and persuaded her to "take care of me" and I would "take care of her".

Then I bought her a new house, fully furnished with fly screens, security grills and awnings over the windows, big fully fitted kitchen etc.

Then we had a traditional House Warming Blessing party.

Then we had wedding type photos taken.

Then we went to get my affirmation to get married translated and ended up married the same day.

Commitment:- obligation that restricts freedom of action.

Marriage is a contract to a commitment of mutual trust.

Most know this and I can see that because of the comments that it is easier and cheaper to part when not married!

Maybe this commitment helps both parties to work a little harder to resolve any difficulties in the relationship.

As to the comment that the wife must be more wealthy than the husband - I agree.

I gave everything to my wife and I am now somewhat poorer, but she's very nice and gives me whatever I want, without question.

My wife is aware of the "losing everything" problems that abound in Thai/Westerner relationships, so, in the giving of resources,

I openly gave my trust and my wife knows that without question.

She feels honoured and trusted as well as loved, as do I.

It's easy to speak a few love words but the real power comes with actions and commitment.

Do unto others .......

BTW, I challenge the poster who says he and his wife are the happiest - we are the happiest LOL

(but I loved one posters comment : She's a lucky woman!)

A great thread and so entertaining to read such lovely posts from such happy people.

Congratulations to all.

(Now to go back and catch up with the posts I haven't read yet, but I think I will soon run out of "Likes")

• Like 1

I will keep getting married. I don't care how many times. If they run away. I divorce them. Just so long as when I die I am married. Then Her Majesty's Government don't get their paws on a certain part of the pension for which I worked for eternity. The wife gets it.

It is not a lot of UK money, but it is a lot more than most Thai people earn.smile.pngsmile.png

You may need to check on that.

I believe that the rules were changed along the lines that if your wife never paid in - she can't take out.....

When was the last time you ever heard a woman thinking about providing for her husband if she dies? They never ever do, women are nothing but parasites taking your money and keeping all for themselves.

Marriage is a way of institutionalising that. Laws that are assaulting men paid for by the mostly male taxes.

Edited by parmo2
  • Like 1

ill have to agree with you Kandi, marriage was created by the church to actually control women, then over the years its now a legal document that lawyers gain millions from when having to suffer the pains of a divorce.

Marriage means nothing to me neither, we either love each other or we don't. I don't need a sentimental gathering to prove otherwise.

two of my friends back home seem to have a great idea, they will marry (unofficially) for 1 year and 1 day, after each year they sit down and weigh up if the relationship is working or they want to move on.

I think its genius! because far too many relationships become complacent and comfortably numb once that magic paper is signed.

it makes them try harder and realize that nothing is forever. I like that... its better for the kids too if they have any.

haha - you do realize that marriage has been around a LOT longer than the church, right? I mean, Thais get married, right? You think the church brought that. A quick google search gives the appearance that marriage was institutionalized in the European church in around....1545. So I guess that's when women started being controlled - until then marriage didn't exist and women's rights were flying high?

I do agree with you that "a sentimental gathering" doesn't have anything to do with anything.

As far as your friends who only commit in one-year intervals...exactly how is that better for the kids? And why would you try harder when you know that you can just ditch the relationship in a month? I think that people are probably more likely to try harder at something when they know there's no out.

When was the last time you ever heard a woman thinking about providing for her husband if she dies? They never ever do, women are nothing but parasites taking your money and keeping all for themselves.

Marriage is a way of institutionalising that. Laws that are assaulting men paid for by the mostly male taxes.

Parmo2 I want to congratulate you. I have never met a more anti woman poster on Thai Visa.

1.They are simple third world women from a feudal country. They are very very very lucky to have met YOU.

2. They are too stupid and vain to think that

3. why can't he just do what the hell he likes and talk to interesting people not childish boring Thai women.

4. Today 50% of graduates are female but women never pay fair share

5. White Anglo Saxon males have saved the world from fascism and communism while women stayed at home in total safety.

6. Western men give 100 times more respect to Thai women than they deserve

7. Life has taught me that the female is always to blame, of that I am sure

8. When two Feminists jump off a cliff who benefits ?

Society

I got the above from a couple of pages of your posts in the recent past. Wow.

• Like 2

I took mine up in a hot air balloon over a wine region in Australia.

I got a plane to sky write will ye marry the?

The pilot said the question mark was the best he ever did!

I got lucky that night wink.png

With the pilot???????laugh.png