They've ripped up Second Road ...

MrWorldwide

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M. Feline please see post #10 .............. or just snap your fingers and your desired pixs will appear as if by magic

I know what your trying to do here & this pushy-banter won't work on me! Please, don't let the post count fool you...its not my 1st time on a forum.

Have a nice day! xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png

• Like 1

Other than the dust, it's an improvement from what it was before. You would literallly be bouncing along in a baht bus almost hitting your head on the roof if they were going fast enough. It was really bad. Don't ever remember 2nd road being this bad.

They have almost ground down all of 2nd road now. They may be all the way to N. Pattaya road by now. So I imagine the resurfacing will be happening soon.

it's a long time over due. riding 2nd road has been a challenge lately to say the least, if they spent the money putting the correct founds in place once then this constant resurface requirement would be less frequent and much cheaper in the long run

Well, this project starts to look like a disaster in the making. The first section, right hand lane from South intersection to Avenue Mall has been black-topped.

No provisions for manholes, proper drainage, proper fading into joining Sois. This won't last! And in the meantime driving 2nd. Rd. feels like driving through Phnom Penh 25 years ago. Only that there is even more dust and potholes. Enjoy, great planning! sick.gif MS>

• Like 1

To be fair 2nd road has needed this resurfacing for a few years, never a good time to do it, they could do a lot to help traffic flow if they kept one side free from parking when they have finished.

A couple of days of heavy flooding would make it really interesting right nowsmile.png

• Like 1

To be fair 2nd road has needed this resurfacing for a few years, never a good time to do it, they could do a lot to help traffic flow if they kept one side free from parking when they have finished.

A couple of days of heavy flooding would make it really interesting right nowsmile.png

And right on cue, it would seem that the long-awaited monsoon rains have returned to Pattaya - not sure how long this afternoon's thunderstorm will last but it's a beauty. As you say, there isn't a 'good' time to do this, but I have to wonder if starting it back in July/August might have made more sense.

• Like 1

There are two issues in this thread dealing with speculation. One is "are they going to do a good job? and there is going to be a "High Season"?

My crystal balls tell me the answers. None of the above.

When it comes to decent roads. The "better" examples are made of concrete sections. For whatever reason when they use tar it all goes to pot holes and melted rutted lumpy sections that fall apart in no time. Other tropical countries manage to do a decent job. Malaysia, China and Australian highways. All have hot and wet weather conditions but Thailand does not seem to get the mix right. Maybe there is a civil engineer out there that can explain?

BTW I find the clickety clackety train like noise on concrete road sections really annoying or is that just me.

• Like 1

I was there earlier this afternoon and it's a disaster! Avoid it if you can.

By the time they are done in Naklua, they can start repairing down South again, with the fantastic job they are doing. Supervisors must be sleeping during the nighttime working hours.TIT. smile.png MS>

I was there earlier this afternoon and it's a disaster! Avoid it if you can.

By the time they are done in Naklua, they can start repairing down South again, with the fantastic job they are doing. Supervisors must be sleeping during the nighttime working hours.TIT. smile.png MS>

I just went along with this evening. From the corner of South Pattaya Road two thirds of the surface has been completed.

But then when you reach the Avenue shopping centre the new surface is reduced to a single lane strip , ( which amazingly some Thai.motorcyclists are still using to travel the wrong way against the flow of trafficgiggle.gif ).

When you reach Soi 10 it becomes really bad and someone said earlier in this thread it reminded them of how Phnom Penh used to be. I can remember some of the back streets near the genocide museum in Phnom Penh 10 years ago and even then, none of the surfaces were as bad as second road is right now from Soi 10 all the way down to the junction with Pattaya Klang.sad.png

Some nasty potholes down near Tops Market courtesy of the rain - I can only assume that they had to know it was a risk to rip it up given how long the monsoon rains have held off, but I cant help thinking that July thru Sept would have been a better window.

I just went along with this evening. From the corner of South Pattaya Road two thirds of the surface has been completed.

I traveled along the completed section for the first time yesterday. I was amazed at how old it looked already, like it had been done a couple of years ago. They're doing an extremely bad job, even for Pattaya. The first and second thirds completed have a well defined ridge between them.

I drove it yesterday and OMG what a mess! They used the road eater to remove the pavement and level it. They have spent so much time since that has been done that now the road is even bumpier from all the rains and traffic. This has to be one of the most pathetic construction attempts that I have ever seen. And they are doing nothing to control the traffic and parking during this time.

• Like 1

My point is that they have spent so much time and money to drill holes and pump something into the road (for weeks and weeks) and then they just removed the road surface and let the traffic and weather ruin all their work. Road construction is not that difficult. It is especially easy to do in a place where there is no freezing and thawing or big temperature differentials.

They obviously know how to do construction in Thailand. The elevated motorways are a good example of road systems that are better than anything I have seen in USA.

What bit of it I was on today from the Avenue Mall to Klang seems a modest improvement. But they didn't have to do much to top the horrible condition of 2nd Road. However, its current condition makes it look like a certain disaster. I hope they can rescue this road project. And OMB! No traffic controls to protect the prep bed? Shocking.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp