Looking for a ride buddy

marinpa

This Troll OP must be a re-incarnation of silomplaya or something like that.

Keeps getting worse!!!bah.gif

And why exactly is that??? How do I qualify as "troll"? Do you even know what a troll is???

I have originally asked a question. I didn't flame anyone, Did not antagonized, did not used profane language.... How does that make me a "troll"???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you find riding a Motor bike in Bangkok safer than British roads, very good considering British roads are one of the safest places to drive or ride a bike. in Europe and the world.

Maybe in one of Jules Verne's novels you've read when you were little

fact, as a professional driver for 40 years and a Driver of 43, i have driven in Europe, Asian Africa, over 65 Million people live in the Uk , look at the statistics. There are more people killed on Thai roads in a day, than a full year in the UK.

Edited by Thongkorn

you find riding a Motor bike in Bangkok safer than British roads, very good considering British roads are one of the safest places to drive or ride a bike. in Europe and the world.

Maybe in one of Jules Verne's novels you've read when you were little

fact, as a professional driver for 40 years and a Driver of 43, i have driven in Europe, Asian Africa, over 65 Million people live in the Uk , look at the statistics. There are more people killed on Thai roads in a day, than a full year in the UK.

Where the hell do you people get those stats??? "More peope killed on Thai roads in a day than a full year in UK" Can you people make sure your brain is connected when you make such preposterous affirmations?

I am riding a Click 125i with no mirrors, if you know what in mean ( wink, wink).

Meaning what in your opinion my friend?
Are you for real?

Is it like that fetish for jumping from building to building but on wheels (think it is called parlor but could be wrong).

If you PM a member called Silomplaya I am sure you can find your buddy.

All the best

Guys, guys, guys!!!! Let's talk statistics and not pull number and facts out of our as*es:

Here ya go!

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Thailand is not the most dangerous place to drive/ride a bike, as follow:

Road Accidents around the World: Road deaths per 100,000 (reported 2007)
Thailand......................... 19.6
Egypt...............................41.6
Jordan.............................34.2
Saudi Arabia...................29.0
Pakistan..........................25.3
Russian Federation.........25.2
Malaysia..........................23.6
Venezuela........................21.8
Mexico.............................20.7
Philippines.......................20.0

http://www.forensic....9_nattapong.pdf

Need say more?

• Like 1

"I am riding a Click 125i with no mirrors, if you know what in mean ( wink, wink). "

I ride a bike in Bkk, but with mirrors. What do you mean by "with no mirrors". How can you tell who's or what's behind you? Why would you ride without mirrors?

Its an expression. Meaning that you can go thru smaller "holes" between cars in slow or stationary traffic. With no mirrors (mirrors folded in) you can go for instant between a bus and a van when they are stationary. With mirrors out you can't.

OP, you are obviously a passionate rider and a careful one. But keep in mind your health on a bike is not only a function of how well you drive.

It also depends on if the guy in the pickup about to emerge into your way from a side soi is running late and figures he can beat the light by stepping on the gas. Threading safely between stationary vehicles depends on passengers in front looking before pushing the door open.

I agree with you that Thai drivers are mostly a considerate and aware lot. But, on the other hand, you'll admit that on a motor bike you are the scrawniest kid in the schoolyard. Your health depends on the kindness of others. Personally, I just don't like that kind of a situation, especially in a country where I know if I get into a bust-up, then (1) the law won't look kindly at a foreigner and (2) medical attention, if I need it, might be dicey.

Edited by The Dancer
  • Like 1

OP, you are obviously a passionate rider and a careful one. But keep in mind your health on a bike is not only a function of how well you drive.

It also depends on if the guy in the pickup about to emerge into your way from a side soi is running late and figures he can beat the light by stepping on the gas. Threading safely between stationary vehicles depends on passengers in front looking before pushing the door open.

I agree with you that Thai drivers are mostly a considerate and aware lot. But, on the other hand, you'll admit that on a motor bike you are the scrawniest kid in the schoolyard. Your health depends on the kindness of others. Personally, I just don't like that kind of a situation, especially in a country where I know if I get into a bust-up, then (1) the law won't look kindly at a foreigner and (2) medical attention, if I need it, might be dicey.

My friend TD,

Thank you for your consideration and advice.

You absolutely right on ones "health on a bike" . That is the reason a skilled/trained rider is always expecting the unexpected and

There is no magic formulas when it comes to unexpected hazards on the road ahead of you, next to you but mostly behind you.

However one can train on different techniques and practice hazard perception skills in order to better predict, faster and more accurate, the surrounding traffic landscape enabling the rider to take the appropriate action.

Most of the people look ahead of them no farther then 10-15 meters. Most of the people, riders and drivers alike, do not differentiate between “Looking” and “Seeing”.

Personally when I see a pickup, or a tuc-tuc for that matter, and identify it as a problem, I do not focus on it, rather start to focus on the solution, which way can I go in order to void close proximity with the problem

deal with the unexpected is to apply the hazard perception skills covered in this handbook. - See more at: http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/the-hazard-perception-test/unexpected#sthash.d2F1zuk6.dpuf
Unfortunately, there are no magic formulas or techniques for predicting when unexpected hazards will pop up when driving. - See more at: http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/the-hazard-perception-test/unexpected#sthash.d2F1zuk6.dpuf
Unfortunately, there are no magic formulas or techniques for predicting when unexpected hazards will pop up when driving. - See more at: http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/the-hazard-perception-test/unexpected#sthash.d2F1zuk6.dpuf

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's because virtually no-one is allowed to ride a bike in Britain.

Go ahead OP give it a try. Most of the time its quite safe as nothing moves at more that 10kmph. count me out though, I'm a strictly 4 wheels type of guy.

My wife has a friend in the Nomads MC Chiang Mai. They seem a fun bunch that do recreational rides, mostly out of town. No use to you in Bkk; but I'm sure if you search facebook (or google) you will definately find a group in Bkk. No doubt they won't mind you tagging along for a week.

Just pay some motorcycle Taxis to drive around with you smile.png

I think the above advise is just coming from general knowledge that Bangkok streets are very dangerous for someone not experienced riding in Bkk.

Anyways I have seen many serious motorcycles crashes here in BKK one girl screaming after being side swiped by a car "My back, My Back"

Another guy screaming after being run over by a car and mangled under the engine.

And I know one guy that had brain surgery after being run over by a truck and these are the lucky ones.

Be safe my brother!

I did, I did hire taxi motorcycles but is getting in the range of 2000/day. One of them was good in particular but the rest.....

Guys, again, and again until some of you people understand. I find riding in Bkk less dangerous than New York, Paris, London, Moscow, Bucharest, Montreal, even Vancouver, where I am from. Here drivers and riders, for he vast majority of the time are very weary, attentive to their surroundings, courteous to each other.

That is until 1900-2000 hours. After 2000 hours the dynamic of the traffic changes and becomes slightly more difficult, a tad dangerous I have to admit.

That is because people are tired, maybe something to drink, smoking some shit or chewing to much Kratoom.

There is a category of traffic participants that are dangerous at any time of the day, tuc-tuc drivers. But they are a breed on their own.

As soon as you see a tuc-tuc in front of you, ride the brakes and change lane as far as possible from it.

In almost a week of driving in Bkk, and I mean.... Driving 2-300 km/ day, I haven't see any crash. ANY!!!

Mate I have to agree with @AussieRoaming.

You mentioned fast riders, you have an obviously out of the ordinary pass time and bike/riding posts have a forum of their own... The bike forum.

Riding in Bkk is nothing special, poor drivers, bad traffic and really poor roads not to mention the heat. You mention moving away from a Tuk Tuk however mention of the countless horrible drivers of Mercedes here. You have not seen an accident yet but driving 200-300km/day, I saw two yesterday morning within 30 minutes of each other.

If you are a riding enthusiast, I suggest you get yourself a nice bike and head out of Bangkok somewhere.

Your post does sound like an overexcited first time rider excited of the neon lights of Bkk. Make sure you have an ICE number in your phone, medical insurance, a legal license for Thailand and good luck to yourself.

Your post does sound like an overexcited first time rider excited of the neon lights of Bkk. Make sure you have an ICE number in your phone, medical insurance, a legal license for Thailand and good luck to yourself.

Slightly OT, on my mobile I have my home number stored as ICE.

The first time that my wife saw it she wanted to know who Khun Ice was. biggrin.png

As the name 'Ice' is common in Thailand, anyone finding an ICE number on your phone in Thailand would just think that this is a stored number for someone named Ice.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

The first time that my wife saw it she wanted to know who Khun Ice was. biggrin.png

As it would be expected!

I have always wondered though.. Those with a passcode to their phone.. How does a rescuer access your phonebook?

As it would be expected!

I have always wondered though.. Those with a passcode to their phone.. How does a rescuer access your phonebook?

Good question.

I don't lock my phone, so I have never thought of this before.

If getting in an accident and being mangled should be a concern why not wear this:

post-215454-0-35279600-1411717011_thumb.

Considering you are in Thailand where chances are an MT does not speak/read English you can eventually have one of the tags written in Thai

Or something like this that is linked to a website, email or phone number (QR code)

post-215454-0-93250900-1411718321_thumb.

Edited by marinpa

Just pay some motorcycle Taxis to drive around with you smile.png

I think the above advise is just coming from general knowledge that Bangkok streets are very dangerous for someone not experienced riding in Bkk.

Anyways I have seen many serious motorcycles crashes here in BKK one girl screaming after being side swiped by a car "My back, My Back"

Another guy screaming after being run over by a car and mangled under the engine.

And I know one guy that had brain surgery after being run over by a truck and these are the lucky ones.

Be safe my brother!

I did, I did hire taxi motorcycles but is getting in the range of 2000/day. One of them was good in particular but the rest.....

Guys, again, and again until some of you people understand. I find riding in Bkk less dangerous than New York, Paris, London, Moscow, Bucharest, Montreal, even Vancouver, where I am from. Here drivers and riders, for he vast majority of the time are very weary, attentive to their surroundings, courteous to each other.

That is until 1900-2000 hours. After 2000 hours the dynamic of the traffic changes and becomes slightly more difficult, a tad dangerous I have to admit.

That is because people are tired, maybe something to drink, smoking some shit or chewing to much Kratoom.

There is a category of traffic participants that are dangerous at any time of the day, tuc-tuc drivers. But they are a breed on their own.

As soon as you see a tuc-tuc in front of you, ride the brakes and change lane as far as possible from it.

In almost a week of driving in Bkk, and I mean.... Driving 2-300 km/ day, I haven't see any crash. ANY!!!

There are about 30 accidents with motorcycles a day in Bangkok:

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

• Like 1

According to the Department of Pollution Control’s director of air quality and noise management, Jongjit Naranathmaeteekul, 2,325 people in Bangkok reportedly died from pneumonia and other lung diseases in 2011.

According to the World Health Organization, in 2011 in Thailand, lung cancer accounted for 11,158 deaths

1,956 people reported dead of ischaemic heart diseases in 2011.

Shall we stop breathing now?!?

Speaking of accidents, causes and fatalities:

(extras from a National Grad Research report)

Alcohol intoxication still continues to be a problem among motorcycle riders (10, 11, 12) . The present study showed about 3 in 10 cases found alcohol in there blood and also over legal limit ( Table 2 ). For this seri es, alcohol use is the problem of the age 15-25 years (1 in 2 of drinking moto rcyclists). In Thailand, Kasantikul et al. suggested that riders simply have little reas on to fear riding after drinking.

They seem to be unaware that riding after dr inking is not even a problem, nor do they seem to worry about encounters with the police. Clearly, public information and education programs as well as serious law enforcement efforts ar e needed to discourage drinking and riding motorcyclist (10) .

Drunken riding was the major problem of the motorcyclist resulting in loss of motorcycle control and low responsible to road conditions

Umesh has been reported that motorcycle riders with BAC > 10 mg% account fo r more than half of all rider fatalities in SVC (11) . Therefore, SVC may be a major problem with alcohol involvement recently.

Riding in nighttime is an interesting cause that related with the highly proportion of the fatalities. In this series, the most common time of crashing is during 0:00-5:59

Here is the full report:

http://www.forensic.sc.mahidol.ac.th/proceeding/49_nattapong.pdf

Comments? Constructive arguments?

According to the Department of Pollution Control’s director of air quality and noise management, Jongjit Naranathmaeteekul, 2,325 people in Bangkok reportedly died from pneumonia and other lung diseases in 2011.

According to the World Health Organization, in 2011 in Thailand, lung cancer accounted for 11,158 deaths

1,956 people reported dead of ischaemic heart diseases in 2011.

Shall we stop breathing now?!?

Up to you.

Speaking of accidents, causes and fatalities:

(extras from a National Grad Research report)

Alcohol intoxication still continues to be a problem among motorcycle riders (10, 11, 12) . The present study showed about 3 in 10 cases found alcohol in there blood and also over legal limit ( Table 2 ). For this seri es, alcohol use is the problem of the age 15-25 years (1 in 2 of drinking moto rcyclists). In Thailand, Kasantikul et al. suggested that riders simply have little reas on to fear riding after drinking.

They seem to be unaware that riding after dr inking is not even a problem, nor do they seem to worry about encounters with the police. Clearly, public information and education programs as well as serious law enforcement efforts ar e needed to discourage drinking and riding motorcyclist (10) .

Drunken riding was the major problem of the motorcyclist resulting in loss of motorcycle control and low responsible to road conditions

Umesh has been reported that motorcycle riders with BAC > 10 mg% account fo r more than half of all rider fatalities in SVC (11) . Therefore, SVC may be a major problem with alcohol involvement recently.

Riding in nighttime is an interesting cause that related with the highly proportion of the fatalities. In this series, the most common time of crashing is during 0:00-5:59

Here is the full report:

http://www.forensic.sc.mahidol.ac.th/proceeding/49_nattapong.pdf

Comments? Constructive arguments?

Possibly you can print and laminate some of these statistical findings and keep them safely under your seat.

Then.. When you have either wrapped your Moped around a street light, opposing vehicle or someone's front fence or an opposing driver runs into you.. You can produce these statistics to your treating medical practitioner and argue that the accident should not have occurred due to recent studies carried out counting numbers from poorly investigated previous incidents.

Have you researched how many Bangkokian motorists in fact have no license not to mention the amount that have one but hold no motoring fundamentals or common sense towards safe and calm driving?

Second week of driving in BKK. Love it as I did in the first day. I am yet to see an accident. I have seen only 3 minor fender benders between cars.

I know two weeks, accident free, is not a long time, but according to some earlier prophetic posts, by now I should have been sent at least twice to the hospital and once to the morgue.

Please do not close this thread. I will report weekly with the status of my wellbeing. If for some reason I am not going to be available (wink, wink), some of my friends from Search and Rescue team will make the announcement in my behalf.

Going back to the original topic, I am still looking for a riding buddy.

Shoot!!!! Almost forgot to report!

Got a ticked last Saturday, around 1230 hrs. for not having my DL on me. Need to pay it in 7 days. Bht 1000. Ouch!

Sat night I've been thru 3 police road checks. 2 for alcohol and one for DLs.

The one for DLs was stopping every single motorcycle/scooter, engine off, and present all the documents.

When it was my turn I presented the ticked I got 10 min earlier. They laughed, said something in Thai and let me go.

I ride daily in Bkk, usually on my PCX, sometimes on my Versys and Ninja. Was splitting traffic just the other day on Asoke. Going past a bus when out of the blue,, an idiot ran out from in front of the bus without looking. It happened so quickly that I didn't even have time to react. Good thing too as I might have crashed into the car on my right. As it happened, the idiot actually managed to stop before stepping directly into my lane. I?m sure he smelt my Old Spice ... I sure smelt his shit that he pissed in his pants.

OP, if you are going to be like one of those russian dickheads we see on YouTube splitting traffic at high speeds, please make sure that you carry lots of cash in your wallet so that any innocent bystanders are suitable compensated if injured as a result of your foolish actions.