German beggar spends donated cash drinkin' and partyin' in Pattaya

webfact

He's German. He's in Thailand. They won the world cup. It's all good. If it was my stingy American government they would allow me to sit on a street corner with a swollen foot.

I reckon GOOD ON HIM !! He's entitled to a bit of relaxation and fun to despite his appearance or what he does to raise the money to do so ....doesn't he?????

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fellow German I am ashamed about the actions of this freak! The problem is, if anyone is seriously in the need of help those usually willing to assist may simply turn around because of this parasite. He will run out of cash again so leave him where he is and ignore his future calls for help from generous and merciful people.

I don't think you need to feel any shame despite sharing the same nationality. You were born in the same area of land that is all. He's not your friend or family but a grown up adult with his own choices.

Personally his actions wouldn't bother me even if I had donated. Whenever I give a beggar in my home city money I always hope they make their tough life a bit more enjoyable even if it is only for the time of a can of lager/cider etc. After all they are only spending it on what I would. :-)

The report claims that Benjamin made comments blaming “Thai people’s stupidity” for giving him the money."

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/09/25/german-beggar-spends-donated-cash-drinkin-and-partyin-pattaya

I thought it was a German group in Thailand that gave him money, not Thai's.

Could well have been misreport or translated , he probably said it in German.

Could be "People in Thailand are stupid"

Would that not cover everyone who gave him money for his partying ?

He is still not using his full potential.
I mean he could do some funny elephant impersonations. I'd give him 5 baht for that.
First he'd have to do it for free for quite a while though to make up for the 50.000 THB scam.

Seriously though, shouldn't he run out of some visa anyway?

he's giving all the honest beggers in thailand a bad name....biggrin.png

Beggars couldn't care less, I'm sure.

The ones that rant about giving farang or Germans a bad name are the ones are the ones that actually feel embarassed about whatever it is they are doing with their lives. Often the ones drinking beer every day in prostitute bars in pattaya or Nana Plaza. No matter how low you are, it's human nature to point the finger at those lower to up the self-esteem a bit.

Ever head the adage, "Live and Let Live"?

Reminds me of a beggar I saw in Oxford, with a half starved dog.

Nice young lady felt sorry for him, rather than give him money she bought him a sandwich and a hot cup of tea, he just throw them across the street.

If people feel so concerned with these people maybe there should be a system where people can by "food vouchers" to hand to beggars.

I know in the UK they encourage people to give to charities rather than beggars so that it gets used properly. There's also the problem of some who park there car around the corner and change into shabby clothes before sitting on the ground making a tax free income. Having said that I often give money here as I'm certain the people I give to need it. I give far less to them than end up giving to temples that's for sure.

Yeah far better idea, give it to a charity so the boss can carry on driving his 80 grand car.

Best not to give anything to beggars it just encourages em. Let em starve is my motto. Or thirst.

Edited by bertty

It's like....people who are in dire straits who get charity or help are supposed to remain in misery with the little bit of money they get---if they go out for a drink, like the rest of the adult population all over the world, they are seen as leeches who don't deserve the charity they are getting because they are having fun. SO WHAT...? He was destitute, he got help, he was celebrating.

Rich farang cheat poor thai. Typical. Nothing unusual about that.

55555 !!!

If that's typical, the way round is not typical but just "local culture" concerning everybody, rich and poor cheaters.

Do not stick too much with this poor german fool behavior, Thais can do much much better than him, cheating billions of baht, not few thousands

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/763379-Police-reveal-how-Phuket's-public-beaches-were-rented-out---for-billions

Police reveal how Phuket's public beaches were rented out - for billions

Maybe anyone who donated money can tell us here whether they are satisfied with the way their donation is apparently being used?

Exactly.

I will sometimes throw a beggar 100 baht and tell them to go have a drink.

It's what they are going to do with it anyway.

Their lives are so messed up anyway to be on the streets begging in the first place, and they drink to make the crap go away albeit temporarily. So I am happy to help make the crap go away, albeit temporarily.

The wife hates it. Thinks I am encouraging it, but I don't recall ever phoning someone in advance asking to be sat on the pavement in a certain place and I will be along in half an hour.... They are already there doing it.

Whatever gets you through the day.... It's a shitty life for some.

Who knows what of the reporting is fact and what is fantasy. I read so many completely contradictory reports about much more serious matters daily in the local press and in forums, that I have become careful rushing to judgement.

Certainly I would not judge somebody obviously ill, possibly in need of help and somebody's mental capacities and background I have no idea about. I often read very rude and cold comments on these forums, shows what kind of world we live in or what kind of people we have online. Sometimes a bit of extra tolerance and compassion is not the worst thing to show. Who knows the day we might need some compassion, too?! MS>

He's German. He's in Thailand. They won the world cup. It's all good. If it was my stingy American government they would allow me to sit on a street corner with a swollen foot.

Maybe, maybe not. But if this hit the news, the American people would overwhelm you with help.

In 2013, the American people were ranked the most generous in the world for charitable giving. In 2010, they were ranked the 5th most generous.

LINK

Edit. #1 in 2012. LINK

If you look at it per capita, the US barely makes the top 20. http://www.crossborderdirectory.org/which-countries-give-the-most-to-charity.html

just how much you given.....none I bet....I given more than you'll make in three lifetimes.

Reminds me of a beggar I saw in Oxford, with a half starved dog.

Nice young lady felt sorry for him, rather than give him money she bought him a sandwich and a hot cup of tea, he just throw them across the street.

If people feel so concerned with these people maybe there should be a system where people can by "food vouchers" to hand to beggars.

I know in the UK they encourage people to give to charities rather than beggars so that it gets used properly.

I never, ever, give to "Charities", in the VAST majority of instances they cream off well over 60% of Donations in "Administrative Expenses".

I regularly give whatever loose change I have in my pocket, plus more, to a few very old Issarn couples who "play" music in my Soi - and that probably amounts to Baht 500 a month minimum - not a lot, but at least I know it's actually going to the truly deserving "end user"!

Patrick

It certainly was that way 35 years ago. I don't know when they started providing funds to assists "distressed" American citizens, but I'm pretty sure it was some time after Ronald Reagan decided all government services had to pay for themselves (and make a profit) and instituted fees for notarial services. They actually do have the ability to help American citizens now, but you have to pay the money back and they seize your passport until you do (after you've arrived back in the states, that is).

Maybe, maybe not. But if this hit the news, the American people would overwhelm you with help.

In 2013, the American people were ranked the most generous in the world for charitable giving. In 2010, they were ranked the 5th most generous.

LINK

Edit. #1 in 2012. LINK

If you look at it per capita, the US barely makes the top 20. http://www.crossborderdirectory.org/which-countries-give-the-most-to-charity.html

just how much you given.....none I bet....I given more than you'll make in three lifetimes.

Very odd and amusing response yet a bit of sadness in regards to your needing to put your insecurities out there like this. Odd because unless you are posting under two different names can't see your need to even reply to this post. Amusing because it is just such an off the wall thing to say.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn