raro's Fast Food Heaven has opened!

rarosFFH

He's already been open a month, time to know that the deep fryer needs to be on all the time, not wait until a customer orders chips. It also looks like it's one for domestic use by the size of it. I doubt if you could cook chips for more than two people at a time. The whole operation just looked a bit amateur to me. My beef patty was quite thick, but very dry.

20 mins wait - brings a whole new meaning to the words "Fast Food"...

Maybe they should just re-name it to just "Raro's" ??

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your bad experience , I will address this with the staff.

Beef : it's the most expensive component in the burger and yes, it's local beef. Of course we could use imported beef, but this would probably double the price of the burger. As we have comments on the other hand that 190 Baht is way too much for a burger with fries (it's 160g of meat, just for the records) then I'm not sure whether this would be the right way to go.

I agree that 20 minutes waiting is too long and soggy fries are not acceptable.

You should buy your burgers from Foodland or Friendship then, where a prime Aussie beef burger about that weight is around 50 Baht.Add to that the bun and labor/service and you would be able to sell Prime Aussie beef burgers for that price or below.

Edited by Anthony5

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your bad experience, I will address this with the staff.

Beef : it's the most expensive component in the burger and yes, it's local beef. Of course we could use imported beef, but this would probably double the price of the burger. As we have commented on the other hand that 190 Baht is way too much for a burger with fries (it's 160g of meat, just for the records) then I'm not sure whether this would be the right way to go.

Theirs a pit of confusion on where the beef is from, one man says it's from Europe, and you say it's Thai, very confusion, lack of information, to much rambling going on raro, best of luck with the burger, where does the beef come from

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your bad experience, I will address this with the staff.

Beef : it's the most expensive component in the burger and yes, it's local beef. Of course we could use imported beef, but this would probably double the price of the burger. As we have commented on the other hand that 190 Baht is way too much for a burger with fries (it's 160g of meat, just for the records) then I'm not sure whether this would be the right way to go.

Theirs a pit of confusion on where the beef is from, one man says it's from Europe, and you say it's Thai, very confusion, lack of information, to much rambling going on raro, best of luck with the burger, where does the beef come from

What confusion? The OWNER says it's local beef so it doesn't matter what 'one man' says does it?

PS. I am not bullying you.

• Like 2

In my experience customers (including an increasing number of Thais) are willing to pay a bit more for quality.

Sure, serve up bog standard local beef beefburgers but also consider offering prime beef beefburgers for the more discerning and less cost conscious.

In my experience customers (including an increasing number of Thais) are willing to pay a bit more for quality.

Sure, serve up bog standard local beef beefburgers but also consider offering prime beef beefburgers for the more discerning and less cost conscious.

The owner has said he would have to double his prices if he was to use imported beef in his burgers, so discerning or not, I couldn't see too many people, falang or Thai, being prepared to spend 300 baht on a burger. I can take my lady out to a local bar and have a huge roast dinner each (plus a couple of beers) for that price.

The owner has said he would have to double his prices if he was to use imported beef in his burgers, so discerning or not, I couldn't see too many people, falang or Thai, being prepared to spend 300 baht on a burger. I can take my lady out to a local bar and have a huge roast dinner each (plus a couple of beers) for that price.

I had the burger at Raro's some time ago, my 2 friends loved the burger. I thought the burger was a bit dry. However the fries were quite ok and I will come back to try the sausages.

You can get a beef burger with ''premium'' beef for around 250 baht untill 500 or 1000 baht :) As people inhere not willing to pay this amount for a burger I however am prepared to pay for it aslong its good quality. Maybe its because I dont go to any local bars and rather spend it on a good burger :-)

The beef is local and I have never made any fuzz around that. I cannot find the reference to European origin.

I had the burger at Raro's some time ago, my 2 friends loved the burger. I thought the burger was a bit dry. However the fries were quite ok and I will come back to try the sausages.

You can get a beef burger with ''premium'' beef for around 250 baht untill 500 or 1000 baht smile.png As people inhere not willing to pay this amount for a burger I however am prepared to pay for it aslong its good quality. Maybe its because I dont go to any local bars and rather spend it on a good burger :-)

We never pretended to be a French restaurant or anything hiso. We are a burger joint, a chippy, Frittenbude. We want to offer decent quality at reasonable prices. Not necessarily cheap, but good value for money. Our menu items range from 50 Baht for French fries to 180 for a double beef burger or the lasagna, most items being between 90 and 140 Baht.

We will add more food items in that price range as we go along but we have no intention to cross the 200 Baht mark. This we leave to sit down restaurants with aircon and a maître d'.

Raro says that a burger is 160g of beef. Another poster claims that this amount of imported Aussie beef is available at Friendship for 50 baht.

That would be around 310 baht/kilo. If any poster can verify this I will be driving into Pattaya asap to purchase all they have.

• Like 2

I WOULD pay the required price.

I believe there is always room for quality - it depends what you see your market to be. Chok Chai Farm has a burger restaurant and a steak restaurant - the latter has several dishes in excess of 500 Baht. It is always full at weekends.

I will not buy something at a cheaper price if it is crap - I am not saying local beef is crap, when I had a restaurant I sold a 150g local tenderloin with chips/ salad or mash/veg for 99 Baht. I made 50 Baht profit per serving. We also had 250g prime beef at more than 3 times that price - we sold equal numbers of each.

If you just give a 'take it or leave it' quality then you will have some people leaving it. Equally, if someone sets out their stall to sell a specific type of food or aim for a particular segment of the market, that is fine. Just be what you are and market yourself as such.

I believe there is always room for quality - it depends what you see your market to be. Chok Chai Farm has a burger restaurant and a steak restaurant - the latter has several dishes in excess of 500 Baht. It is always full at weekends.

I will not buy something at a cheaper price if it is crap - I am not saying local beef is crap, when I had a restaurant I sold a 150g local tenderloin with chips/ salad or mash/veg for 99 Baht. I made 50 Baht profit per serving. We also had 250g prime beef at more than 3 times that price - we sold equal numbers of each.

If you just give a 'take it or leave it' quality then you will have some people leaving it. Equally, if someone sets out their stall to sell a specific type of food or aim for a particular segment of the market, that is fine. Just be what you are and market yourself as such.

Charging 300 baht for a hamburger on the Dark Side is a recipe for insolvency. It might work in Jomtien or Pattaya where there are high numbers of tourists, but even there I believe it would be a struggle. People on the Dark Side begrudge paying more than 50 baht for a Leo in a bar, so I doubt there is much of a market for 300 baht hamburger, no matter how good they are.

• Like 2

Charging 300 baht for a hamburger on the Dark Side is a recipe for insolvency. It might work in Jomtien or Pattaya where there are high numbers of tourists, but even there I believe it would be a struggle. People on the Dark Side begrudge paying more than 50 baht for a Leo in a bar, so I doubt there is much of a market for 300 baht hamburger, no matter how good they are.

I understand. In which case the market is clearly defined and, if there is no desire to cater for the option to have higher quality, products should be structured accordingly,

Thanks for your comments and sorry to hear about your bad experience , I will address this with the staff.

Beef : it's the most expensive component in the burger and yes, it's local beef. Of course we could use imported beef, but this would probably double the price of the burger. As we have comments on the other hand that 190 Baht is way too much for a burger with fries (it's 160g of meat, just for the records) then I'm not sure whether this would be the right way to go.

You should buy your burgers from Foodland or Friendship then, where a prime Aussie beef burger about that weight is around 50 Baht.Add to that the bun and labor/service and you would be able to sell Prime Aussie beef burgers for that price or below.

If I'm not mistaken, Foodland sells their better variety of Thai local ground beef at about 350b per kilo. At 160g per burger, that works out to about 6.25 burgers per kilo, or about 56 baht per 160g portion. But that's for their THAI local ground beef.

Assuming they stocked Aussie ground beef, which I'm not sure most Foodlands do, it certainly would be MUCH higher priced.

If I'm not mistaken, Foodland sells their better variety of Thai local ground beef at about 350b per kilo. At 160g per burger, that works out to about 6.25 burgers per kilo, or about 56 baht per 160g portion. But that's for their THAI local ground beef.

Assuming they stocked Aussie ground beef, which I'm not sure most Foodlands do, it certainly would be MUCH higher priced.

It's imported and in the freezer, packed per 4 or 5 burgers.

And Big C extra sells fresh made burgers of imported beef at 220Bht/kg, think they are 20% fat.

Makro sell imported ground beef 5% at 290 Bht/kg

Edited by Anthony5

And Big C extra sells fresh made burgers of imported beef at 220Bht/kg, think they are 20% fat.

I am always searching for imported fresh ground beef (minced) and the only store I found that sells it is Tops @ Central Festival. The price is 650 baht/kg for this imported Australian beef. My patties are 200 grams so the cost per burger is 135 baht. I have explicitly asked the butchers at Big C Extra, Foodland, Makro and Villa, the answer is always the same, "local beef". You will not this quality imported beef at 350 baht /kg. Do not be mislead by the brand called TF, Thai-French, that used to be sold at Villa and Makro.

I am always searching for imported fresh ground beef (minced) and the only store I found that sells it is Tops @ Central Festival. The price is 650 baht/kg for this imported Australian beef. My patties are 200 grams so the cost per burger is 135 baht. I have explicitly asked the butchers at Big C Extra, Foodland, Makro and Villa, the answer is always the same, "local beef". You will not this quality imported beef at 350 baht /kg. Do not be mislead by the brand called TF, Thai-French, that used to be sold at Villa and Makro.

I'm only parroting what the English butcher in Big C extra told me, if he is lying then I'm also lying.

It has a specific name on the label which slips me now.

They have ground beef that is labeled as so, and they have imported beef, at least that is what the farang butcher tells me,and it labeled same as the burgers and it is priced higher.

The imported beef is over 300 Bht/kg while the burgers are 220 Bht/kg. Do they have more fat content or are it left overs, I don't know, but it is strange that the burgers are lower priced than the ground beef.

I'm only parroting what the English butcher in Big C extra told me, if he is lying then I'm also lying.

They have ground beef that is labeled as so, and they have imported beef, at least that is what the farang butcher tells me,and it labeled same as the burgers and it is priced higher.

The imported beef is over 300 Bht/kg while the burgers are 220 Bht/kg. Do they have more fat content or are it left overs, I don't know, but it is strange that the burgers are lower priced than the ground beef.

The same farang at Big C Extra told me "local beef" unless there are more than one foreign butcher. Also the Thai butchers there also told me on several different occasions. You just don't get the kind of beef we are talking about cheaply (see pic).

post-9935-0-27740400-1414416768_thumb.jp

The same farang at Big C Extra told me "local beef" unless there are more than one foreign butcher. Also the Thai butchers there also told me on several different occasions. You just don't get the kind of beef we are talking about cheaply (see pic).

I think very recently there are indeed two farang butchers, but when you look in the counter they have their sections split up with a clear large name plate in front of it, one says local beef and the other says imported beef.

The burgers and the +300 Bht/kg ground beef are in the imported beef section.I don't know if it is Australian, but it is imported.

I think very recently there are indeed two farang butchers, but when you look in the counter they have their sections split up with a clear large name plate in front of it, one says local beef and the other says imported beef.

The burgers and the +300 Bht/kg ground beef are in the imported beef section.I don't know if it is Australian, but it is imported.

I go to Big C on Wednesdays, I will check. I will also check to be sure there is no confusion that it is the TF brand (Thai - French) which is not imported.

The Oz burger 24 hour outlet at Diana and Buakhao sells a somewhat smaller sized (to RaroFFH's 160 g) Australian recipe beefburger for 130 baht. It's quite all right. Burger and fries are 180 bt. There's an imported Angus burger for 180 baht. Never tried it though. But have to say the picture of Raro's burger and fries on the first page looks better, especially the fries.

Correction edit: It's an "Australian recipe" burger not Australian beef burger. I just had a moment where I thought I ought to find their website and confirm its' imported beef. It is not, except the Angus burger. The company uses "local ingredients" in its burgers, according to the website. So I was incorrect in my earlier description.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Beef in the ~280 Baht range is local beef.

Makro sells imported beef, starting from ~600 Baht.

Everything else is nonsense, since it's absolutely impossible to sell imported beef with a decent quality for 300 Baht.

BUT: even local beef can make a tasty burger....let the beef "age" a little bit and than grind it yourself, don't buy ground beef.

Also the amount of fat is important, too little fat results in dry and hard Burgers.

You can also add some amount of ground pork, to make the Burgers more juicy.

PS: for German Bratwurst or Currywurst, a German butcher might be a better choice....whistling.gif

THIS is what I expect when we talk about Currywurst....

post-158247-0-99228500-1414421001_thumb.

thumbsup.gif

Interesting discussion spun off here!

Indeed, it will be very difficult to find imported beef below the 600 Baht per kg mark. I've been a bit in the market before choosing a supplier. ;-)

The imported beef also doesn't make much of a difference when it's ground, and you can get pretty decent Thai beef nowadays. Ever tried the prime beef butcher near Foodland?

As for the Currywurst, we will launch Currywurst 2.0 soon, stay tuned!

I've never seen imported ground beef, either in patties or in bulk, at any of the Foodland or Makro markets I regularly use in BKK. They're all using Thai or Thai-French beef. And the frozen beef patties in 4 packs at Foodland are absolutely local Thai beef.

I also do see imported Australian beef at both the Central and Tops markets in BKK -- both at double to triple the price or more of their Thai counterparts.

But, FWIW, Carls Jr. outlets in BKK supposedly use 100% Australian ground beef and manages to sell its various burgers in the 125 to 200 baht price range for various burgers only. Not sure on the sizing of their single or double patties.

All the big chains, McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr, etc use frozen local beef. The exception is the angus burgers which are frozen precooked patties and imported (usually Australia). Being American chains the meat is cooked well by recommendation of their lawyers. McDonalds recently had bad press with their Chinese meat suppliers.

We are talking two different kinds of burgers here, Diner burgers(and fast food) which are small thin patties (usually overcooked), 120-140grams, and of course the gourmet restaurant burgers which use fresh imported beef (200 grams) with the proper fat content (20%) and prepared to taste either grilled (open flame) or in a cast iron skillet. I think it is difficult to find a proper restaurant burger in Pattaya. The only exceptions I have found are the Elements (Sheraton), Havana (Holiday Inn) and the Hilton. Places like Beefeater, Dicey Riley, Marriott, Hard Rock either use local beef or spoil their imported beef by enhancing it (using fillers). The diner burgers I try to avoid (Oz, Just Burgers, etc.) If you think a burger is just a slab of meat on a bun then you may be happy with these places. Personally I think Carl's Jr has them beat when it comes to taste and value.

Edited by ThaiBob

All the big chains, McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr, etc use frozen local beef. The exception is the angus burgers which are frozen precooked patties and imported (usually Australia).

In their Facebook posts, Carl's Jr. Thailand disagrees with you.

Carl's Jr. Thailand

Here are a few ways Carl’s Jr. is different from other burger joints:

เหตุผลมากมายที่

บ่งบอกได้ว่า Carl's Jr. ต่างกับที่อื่นอย่างไร

1) Carl’s Jr. burgers are made only with charbroiled, 100% Australian beef.

1) เนื้อเบอร์เกอร์ของ Carl's Jr. เป็นเนื้อจากประเทศออสเตรเลีย 100%

https://m.facebook.com/CarlsJr.Thailand/photos/a.215426661900927.40822.169579326485661/297153453728247/?type=1&refid=17

Also, I remember when they first opened in Thailand, the chain made a point of stressing in their promo materials that they were using 100% Australian ground beef.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK