Koh Tao tourism tumbles

Lite Beer

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"regulating migrant workers to restore tourists’ confidence,” she said. However, migrant workers were not the prime suspects after a failure to find DNA matches. The investigations are now focusing on Thai suspects."

Police are closely monitoring Pandas, after witness comes forth with new information implicating foreigners.

At least headline wasn't "Koh Tao tourism takes a dive".

I for one will be very surprised if actual killers are ever caught.

While the killers are still loose I for one won't be going there.

I think some people on here need to get a grip.

Koh Tao is probably the safest place in the country now. There's more police, army and journalists there now than just about anywhere outside BKK.

Yes, this is a very tragic episode, however this was (as is genrally the normal with Thai crime) a one off incident. You don't hear of serial killers in Thailand, they are a reactive people and the red mist flashes up with terrible consequences.

There are no ''rampaging killers'' on the loose conducting a murder spree.

We need to remember that 2 innocent, adventurous young people have lost their lives. The sooner the murderers are caught, the better for everyone of course. This was a despicable act and should carry the harshest of punishments.

You don't hear of ANY killers in Thailand.

Lots of suicides and People from other countries coming here to kill people but no killers here.

Definitely not safe just now with the police and the real killers looking for a patsy!

I'm positive I will NEVER go there.

Thailand really needs to understand that the internet airs all your dirty laundry and as they are seeing now it makes a real impact on where people choose to holiday,

I think they understand very well, that's why the government blocked access to foreign news websites, so that Thai people can't read what the world is thinking of Thailand. It is important to the government that Thai people continue to live in a fantasy, not reality.

• Like 2

OMG ... they actually want the police to go out and patrol?

The days are so hot! and the wee hours of the morning are for sleep. it realistic to expect the police to go out on patrol?

Is I know they get low pay but the wife tells me they get housing and utilities paid by the government I think the government at all levels should expect more from the police.

I won't be going back to Koh Tao any time soon. It's not that I think other island destinations are any better with regards to corruption and mafia types. It's just that I can't go there in good conscience after seeing how such a tragic situation is being handled.

that would effectively be punishing the wrong people (economically).

The people who have their businesses on Koh Tao are not the ones who messed up the investigation or were unprofessional in their reporting.

In other words, it's not Koh Tao's fault.

I wouldn't be so sure. Many of the businesses on Koh Tao are run by the very mafia people who should be punished. Others may be run by people who are keeping silent for one reason or another. Either way, the most effective way to say 'enough is enough' is by taking your baht elsewhere.

• Like 2

I guess as an American, I have different view. It is nice to live in a place where murder is NEWS ... not just a quick one liner between the sports and weather reports.

I am very sorry about the murders, only trying to say ... nice to live in a country where this is RARE enough to be an issue.

Want to experience real violence and fear for your safety? Move to the USA.

For me, Thailand is amazingly peaceful, safe and easy. And yes, I would visit this island ...

TAT for sure sees it completely different and has other numbers... cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Now it's the time for the locals to deliver the prick to the Authorities, if they know who is guilty.

Clear up the island and start over, otherwise the cloud of suspicion and anxiety will stay for a while.

If the world saw the photographs of the injuries inflicted on the victims by those scumbag murders, then I'm sure no one would ever go to Koh Tao again!

The general should send in the army to all three of those islands and clean up the place so it's safe for everyone...

this was a tragic murder - no doubt.

but Koh Tao is safe and always has been.

Bangkok is much more dangerous. Heck, just driving on Thai highways is much more dangerous.

with regards to Koh Tao or any other island where this tragedy could have happened, people need to get a grip on reality. A motorbike taxi in Bangkok is 1000 times more dangerous than a vacation on Koh Tao

some people try to paint this cozy picture of Koh Tao being safe and that all the people on the island are really nice...

it's not safe at all, two people were violently clubbed to death by some crazy animals who are still on the loose

and there are always robberies by gangs at night on KT, KPN and Samui

I for one will never visit those 3 islands ever again, horrible places!

don't be silly.

Koh Tao is safe.

Bangkok is dangerous. :)

seriously, a good friend has a business on koh tao and the people are shocked at the murders.

Not only because of the brutality, but it is the first time ever something like this has happened on the island.

there is no reason to think this is anything other than a one-time, tragic occurrence.

Just feel ashamed on behalf of the victims parents and relatives.

What a shambles and what an unprofessional handling of the situation.

Thailand should be ashamed also.

Costas can I remind you of a very nasty case back in the UK at the moment. A missing, presumed dead 14 year old young girl where the police know everything about the prime suspect. Even down to he has already served a prison sentence for murder in his home country of Latvia yet was allowed to simply walk into the UK and stay. The head of Scotland Yard has just admitted they are clueless as to where the man is and that if he has left the UK he is virtually a free man. For some bizarre reason they haven't even issued an EU arrest warrant either.

Crime detection, especially murder isn't so easily solved like it is on the TV and incompetent police are worldwide and not just here in Thailand as most people are alluring to.

Yes mistakes have been made but that may just be because this type of crime is a rarity here.

I'm still hoping for a good outcome and am not ready to start Thai bashing just yet

Firstly, they have no evidence that she hasn't run away. Secondly, they have no evidence that she has been abducted. Thirdly they have walked that area where she may have gone missing with a huge search and discovered absolutely nothing.

This bloke has disappeared, so there is a good chance he may have something to do with it. He has left the UK, but the police want to see him and I would imagine that in time he will at least be questioned and then they take it from there.

So, I fail to see the comparison with what has gone on in the UK despite your effort to excuse what has happened in Thailand.

The connection is that a murder investigation in Thailand and a suspected murder investigation in England both remain unsolved, to date. The other connection is that both incidents are still under investigation.

These connections are relevant when posters here continue to slag off the Thai police as though they are the only forces in the world not to be able to solve crimes as easily as it is made out to be on television and in films.

I believe the % of solved murder cases in the UK last year was 95%.

Two people were brutally murdered, one raped, on a relatively small island. The first statement issued by the police that they locked down the island was inaccurate. The photos of the crime scene with people, including potential suspects wandering around, doing as they please speaks volumes for the level of police professionalism, as does the farce about measuring the feet of Burmese ladies and the announcements of imminent arrests. Note the Thai suspects were cleared with one of the fastest DNA test ever. First they couldn't establish race due to the poor equipment here, then they could. Then they could process the Thai suspects' DNA in record breaking time, Round and round in circles with a multitude of different stories played out to the media. All made worse by the crass and insensitive comments made about the victims (many of which were untrue and clearly just made up by the officer for the media) and the inevitable obsession with repairing any damage to the tourist industry.

No police force is perfect. Some much more professional than others. The RTP are probably on a par with their colleagues in India rather than Europe or America.

• Like 1

This has made me so angry! Yes I know this kind of thing can and does happen across the world but it's how it's been and is being dealt with.

If the two young kids being horrifically murdered wasn't enough, the families have to now endure the complete incompetence and lies of all involved! Inremembervthem saying at the start of all this that a Thai couldn't do such a thing! It was a European, then it must be a Burmese and now finally after all this time, it's a thai!

Get your heads out of the sand and crack some skulls!

People need to at the very least boycott this island, hit them in the pockets!

They say money talks! Well let's see how long it takes when the takings start to dwindle!

please listen carefully - I understand your anger

It ... is ... not ... the ... island's ... fault

Condescending post from someone who clearly doesn't understand! Obviously its not the islands fault! However tourism and making money seem to be the number one concern for the Thai authorities so if people boycott the island perhaps it will show them that unless they take brutal crimes such as these more seriously, people are unwilling to go and spend their money there! Perhaps it may even make them make more of an effort to find the killers and stop making such a sham of the investigation. I too wont be going to Ko Tao again!

I understand perfectly that people want to find a way to express their anger and outrage.

my point is that by punishing the honest and hardworking people on a tiny island is maybe not the right way to do that.

This obsession to somehow blame migrant workers no matter what is downright disgusting.

There are 3 obvious reasons why there are more migrant workers on all these smaller islands :

- less control,

- police in small numbers and therefore easy to manipulate by local tycoons,

- extremely low salaries.

And then, when something real bad happens, all these local mafia-type bosses who make massive profits on the back of dirt-poor migrants rush to point their fat fingers and try to pin it on them. I repeat, it's DISGUSTING.

And by the way, it's not only in Thailand. European nationals are adept at doing the very same thing with their own migrant workers and I bet it's the same in the US.

I won't be going back to Koh Tao any time soon. It's not that I think other island destinations are any better with regards to corruption and mafia types. It's just that I can't go there in good conscience after seeing how such a tragic situation is being handled.

that would effectively be punishing the wrong people (economically).

The people who have their businesses on Koh Tao are not the ones who messed up the investigation or were unprofessional in their reporting.

In other words, it's not Koh Tao's fault.

The people on there all have their very strong suspicions who did it, and I am sure there are some who definitely know who did it.

They can choose to speak up and demand action from the authorities, or they can shut up and take the consequences. The only one to speak out so far has been a farang. So come on, people of Koh Tao, men or mice time.

sounds like you have some connections.

Costas can I remind you of a very nasty case back in the UK at the moment. A missing, presumed dead 14 year old young girl where the police know everything about the prime suspect. Even down to he has already served a prison sentence for murder in his home country of Latvia yet was allowed to simply walk into the UK and stay. The head of Scotland Yard has just admitted they are clueless as to where the man is and that if he has left the UK he is virtually a free man. For some bizarre reason they haven't even issued an EU arrest warrant either.

Crime detection, especially murder isn't so easily solved like it is on the TV and incompetent police are worldwide and not just here in Thailand as most people are alluring to.

Yes mistakes have been made but that may just be because this type of crime is a rarity here.

I'm still hoping for a good outcome and am not ready to start Thai bashing just yet

PiP. You make some good points. The only thing I would add is that I 'think' the cops cannot obtain an arrest warrant as there is no actual proof this guy was involved in her disappearance. I know it looks really suspicious, him being on the bike etc, but there is no link yet.

Again, I would sympathise with your general point about this geezer. However, he had served his time in Latvia and I'm not sure whether or not you are required, as an EU citizen, to declare any convictions when entering another EU country. I suspect not.

... I believe the % of solved murder cases in the UK last year was 95%.

Two people were brutally murdered, one raped, on a relatively small island. The first statement issued by the police that they locked down the island was inaccurate. The photos of the crime scene with people, including potential suspects wandering around, doing as they please speaks volumes for the level of police professionalism, as does the farce about measuring the feet of Burmese ladies and the announcements of imminent arrests. Note the Thai suspects were cleared with one of the fastest DNA test ever. First they couldn't establish race due to the poor equipment here, then they could. Then they could process the Thai suspects' DNA in record breaking time, Round and round in circles with a multitude of different stories played out to the media. All made worse by the crass and insensitive comments made about the victims (many of which were untrue and clearly just made up by the officer for the media) and the inevitable obsession with repairing any damage to the tourist industry.

No police force is perfect. Some much more professional than others. The RTP are probably on a par with their colleagues in India rather than Europe or America.

... indeed there was a big improvement in processing those DNA tests - like 25% of the time needed before and, well, afterwards as it seems ... yes, BIB's about in the same league as Indian police for instance in terms of professionalism - i'm not even saying they're not professional, just not where they should be!

In this regard the unmentionable paper has a good article (from yesterday) with some interesting retrospective at similar older cases in the 'news > Investigative report' section about who/how the Brownies 'protect & self-serve' - for those who didn't read it already ...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While the killers are still loose I for one won't be going there.

I think some people on here need to get a grip.

Koh Tao is probably the safest place in the country now. There's more police, army and journalists there now than just about anywhere outside BKK.

Yes, this is a very tragic episode, however this was (as is genrally the normal with Thai crime) a one off incident. You don't hear of serial killers in Thailand, they are a reactive people and the red mist flashes up with terrible consequences.

There are no ''rampaging killers'' on the loose conducting a murder spree.

We need to remember that 2 innocent, adventurous young people have lost their lives. The sooner the murderers are caught, the better for everyone of course. This was a despicable act and should carry the harshest of punishments.

You don't hear of ANY killers in Thailand.

Lots of suicides and People from other countries coming here to kill people but no killers here.

Definitely not safe just now with the police and the real killers looking for a patsy!

I'm positive I will NEVER go there.

So if it's the corruption, mafia elements, bad police and the ''Thai Way'' of doing things then you might as well avoid Thailand altogether.

This system of ''Big John, Little John'', whatever you or anyone thinks of it, is endemic in Thai society and will remain so as long as you and I and everyone else is alive.

No sympathy, the island community appear to have stopped talking, and they are more concerns about the forthcoming high season.

Getting this case solved might have been a big bonus, the clear cover up was the worst thing that they could have done.

• Like 2

Yes well the difference there was that the police pinpointed the murderer in an incredibly short time and set about looking for him. They were quick, smart and professional. The fact they do not know where the man is does not reflect so badly on them and they are certainly not trying to cover anything up.

In contrast the Thai police are just about the opposite in every regard - unprofessional to the point of stupid if you want to be gracious or unprofessional and criminally corrupt if you wish to be more realistic. I have no doubt in mind that there is s huge cover up going on and the attempts to paint Thais as incapable of the crime is racistly disgusting. The nature of the crime and the hapless handling of it by all involved has shown the world the Thai mentality. It's fortunate for most Thais in that they have no comprehension of how stupid they look in the eyes of the rest of the world. On the other hand the ignorance that pervades this society would mean they wouldn't really care what the rest of the world think anyway.

• Like 2

One difference, is that the case in the UK will never close and believe me, if the police think it was murder, they will not stop until they get justice for the potential victim. Whether that takes 2 years, 5 years or 20 years, they will catch them eventually.....is that the same here?

• Like 1

Firstly, they have no evidence that she hasn't run away. Secondly, they have no evidence that she has been abducted. Thirdly they have walked that area where she may have gone missing with a huge search and discovered absolutely nothing.

This bloke has disappeared, so there is a good chance he may have something to do with it. He has left the UK, but the police want to see him and I would imagine that in time he will at least be questioned and then they take it from there.

So, I fail to see the comparison with what has gone on in the UK despite your effort to excuse what has happened in Thailand.

I agree. The two cases have nothing in common unless there's a suggestion that the UK police have been bribed to turn the other way and the area where the girl may have been abducted is controlled by influential persons. I think those are the two factors that have people so outraged in the Thai case.

One thing that annoys me is when people try to compare this murder to other countries or cities.

Koh Thao markets itself as a dream destination, much as the Maldives, Seychelles does, yet it's image (which was poor before) is now tarnished for a long time!

Generally people understand that violence can happen anywhere. However, when the police, army have no intention of solving the crime and in fact are aiding and abetting, this is abhorrent and incomprehensible to all and sundry.

• Like 1