Is a Lawyer Recommended.

Hi

I am about to apply for a 1 year extension of stay (Retirement) in Bangkok

I was wondering if as a result of the recent clampdown what the general consensus of opinion is as to whether I should be accompanied by a lawyer. My feeling is that it is not necessary, however if I should run into unexpected difficulties, would a lawyer be recommended. I would prefer not to have to pay a 20,000 fee unnecessarily. I will be with a Thai friend to help with any language misunderstandings.

Upon making my application I believe I will have all the required documentation, as follows.

British passport with a non immigrant "O" visa.

2 photos.

Letter from the British Embassy confirming income.

Will have a leter from the bank confirming balance. (Income plus balance in excess of 800,000)

Tabian Bahn

Presumably on arrival I can pick up an application form and hopefully get pointed in the right direction. No idea how long the process might take though.

You will not need a lawyer.

You can get the bank letter at Chaeng Wattana immigration's office building. The are several bank branch offices in the basement.

Download and then print application form two sided here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

Then attach a 4cm X 6cm photo form after completing it.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your response to my query, thought you may be interested in the outcome.

I'm pleased to let you know that I followed your advice and submitted my one year extension of stay application without the assistance of a lawyer at Chaeng Wattana armed with all the relevant documentation.

After a 5 hour wait (My fault, simply bad timing) I was summoned to cubicle 39 for the application vetting process. I met with the officer who was very pleasant and the whole process took less than 10 minutes. I had expected a barrage of questions, but nothing at all.

I was then referred to the office next do for what I thought would be an interview with a senior officer. After a short wait, the officer simply rechecked the documentation and asked me to please wait outside. At which point my passport disappeared somewhere.

10 minutes later my passport was returned to me by a smiling officer showing me the 13 month extension stamp.

As you might imagine, I was delighted. The whole process taking less than 40 minutes, leaving the building at 7pm.

Despite all the criticisms I have read concerning the immigration department I found them to be very polite, efficient and overall provided me with an excellent service.

Credit where it's due.

• Like 2