How do you feel about growing older here in Thailand?

TonyHawkins

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Ronnie Wood said "Age doesnt matter" I take the Stones as a good example of success. Staying active and most importantly smiling and keeping positive (I know hard to do all the time). I'm only 44 but still as horny if not more as I was when I was 24. Keep healthy and fit and find something useful to do with your time and stay off the booze.

Have many centers on interest in life , don't complain, exercise every day, be open ... and you will live long time; I know a swedish guy, 74 years old, he walks, plays golf, ride bicycle , motobike, do gym every day, travel in other countries , I think he is 50-60 years ; I am 64 , and I follow this way too...

I'm so glad I read this thread. I feel positively youthful at 56.

Had no idea there were so many coffin-dodgers here on Thai-visa.

Just to cheer up all you fellas living on borrowed time, my favourite quote by Epicurus; an ancient Greek philosopher.

"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist".

• Like 2

I am 72 on Saturday and having the time of my life. I exercise 5 times a week - running/swimming/weights. I have 2 nights on the town inter-acting with beautiful ladies & the other 5 nights I watch free movies. I return to UK each year where I am always cold. I'm lovi' it here.

• Like 2

I think Oscar Wilde said something like - the tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Just as a teenager doesn't really long for his toys from when he was 6 yrs old - - at an older age, you will not likely long for the "toys" of your more youthful 50… if you do long for them, you will still be playing with them, just maybe slower, more thoughtfully and appreicatively.

Hmmm, I still prefer to play with Meccano and Lego instead of cutting the lawn.

I am 72 on Saturday and having the time of my life. I exercise 5 times a week - running/swimming/weights. I have 2 nights on the town inter-acting with beautiful ladies & the other 5 nights I watch free movies. I return to UK each year where I am always cold. I'm lovi' it here.

Well in this case:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUNG FELLA drunk.gif

Let's see if billd766 can bake you a cake smile.png

Edited by JoeLing

Growing old here is better than growing old in some frozen wasteland ohmy.png Age may damage my body, but my mind is still that of a child tongue.png

"Growing old here is better than growing old in some frozen wasteland"

Or in some Farang Land style warehouse for the old.

nursing_homes2.jpg"The excitement here at Golden Acres is almost unbearable."

These ladies taken from a Google image, would appear to be late 80's maybe some in the 90's. As I have no idea where the photo came from they could all have dementia, plus I'm sure physical disabilities. All things being being equal, how different would their life be here, especially if they were men without resources?

My second childhood began at 60. Like the character, Benjamin Buttons i feel and look younger than when I was working two jobs, overweight, unhealthy, stressed, etc.. Thailand gave me a new outlook (handsome man syndrome :), a new life and wife - less worries, more choices as now it's all up to me!

Some days I feel it's too good to be true, but then I remember those years before....

Youth is not wasted on the young, but it's a privilege to be old.

• Like 1

When I was 15, I thought 30 was really old.

When I was 30, I thought 45 was old.

When I was 45, I thought 65 was old.

Now I'm 65...what is old? It's nothing

more than a state of mind. Which is

much better than a mindless state.

I have been living in Southeast Asia

for nearly 40 years...it's home for me.

It's also home for my fellow expat

friends and home to the locals we know.

Sure..LOS isn't like our "home" country

and perhaps that's one of many reasons

why we're here. I do know this though...

we simply like living here. To delve into

details would be like trying to count the

number of galaxies in the universe; not

really necessary unless one is looking

at the big picture from an academic point

of view...and who wants to do that...there's

big fun to have instead!...

post-146250-0-64167900-1412222993_thumb.

Well I'm celebrating my 69th anniversary of hatching out today. I feel going on 39, not 69 you are as young or as old as you wish to be.

No comment concerning my age ''position'' either. You can't talk with your mouth full you know.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Happy Birthday for Saturday! I'm assuming that Saturday evening will be one of those 'on the town'. Enjoy.

Well I'm celebrating my 69th anniversary of hatching out today. I feel going on 39, not 69 you are as young or as old as you wish to be.

No comment concerning my age ''position'' either. You can't talk with your mouth full you know.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As I said......only old people say things like that.

PS. Happy birthday.

Edited by KarenBravo

»How do the members of this forum deal with growing older here in LOS?«

Just passed 65 and been living here permanent for about 10 years. Feel good about growing older here – and I think it’s much better here than in my home country, so I look forward to many more happy years in LOS. smile.png

Always remember: “It’s not a questions how old you are, but how your are old.” thumbsup.gif

Well I have been growing old in Thailand for some 20 years now (I was 70 in May of this year).

I know and realise that at 70 I cannot do things that I could do at 60 or 50, certainly not physically anyway. I can still cut the grass with the strimmer but as there is 2 or 3 rai to cut I choose to cut the lawn as it is less than 1 rai and get somebody in to do the rest and I start around 6.15 and finish before 8 as it is cool then.

I still ride my motorbike but have cut back on long trips now as my reactions are slower and I will probably quit completely in a couple of years.

I am slowly writing my life story for both my Uk son and grandson plus my Thai son to read to show where I came from.

I am sad that I cannot play with my Thai son as I did with my UK as I was 60 when he was born and at my age the body and bones don't always want to do what the mind and memory does.

To slow down the ageing I find that keeping busy is one of the best things you can do.

Get onto the internet and find something interesting. Write your own life story for your Thai families. Learn to cook. Learn how to make furniture. There are zillions of thing you can do.

I make my own bread, rolls, cakes, pies, pasties, ham, bacon, sausage rolls etc all of which I have learned how to do in the 5 years since I retired.

If you want to sit and drink all day, then do so, but it's your life not mine.

Remember LG.

Life is Good and it is your choice to do with it as you will.

I am resurrecting my baking and cooking skills and doing fairly well with that.

I don't start drinking normally until about 6pm and have about 3 Hong Thong and sodas a night and I do drink in the afternoon sometimes if my mate comes over or I go to his place, other than that I don't bother.

I don't normally have the time to get bored.

Must go as I have 2 loaves ready to come out of the oven.

Thanks for such an honest post.

As somebody said in an earlier post, it beats the alternative.

There is a Bing Crosby song called "Busy doing nothing, working the whole day through .................

The chorus is I'd like to be unhappy, but I never do have the time.

I woke up this morning, found that I hadn't died overnight which means it is another great day ahead of me.

There was a beautiful sunrise this morning shining on the clouds, the butterflies are to numerous to count and the sun is shining.

post-5614-0-35361700-1412226249_thumb.jp post-5614-0-36024000-1412226270_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-06603000-1412226280_thumb.jp post-5614-0-37521600-1412226291_thumb.jp

Well in this case:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUNG FELLA drunk.gif

Let's see if billd766 can bake you a cake smile.png

That is in my skill set now.

• Like 1