Damn gout, what a pain!

giddyup

Buy some raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and take a couple of tablespoons on an empty stomach a few times a day until symptoms disappear. Use a straw to drink it diluted in a full glass of water. It should only take a couple of days to get rid of the most of if not all the pain.

Cherry juice is also effective for gout.

Willing to give this a try, but why drink it through a straw? Not the most pleasant thing to take though.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a very regular gout sufferer (its agony plus you can get a fever) and now very occasionally it returns - once every two years perhaps. Once you have it, you have and it just comes to controlling it for the rest of your life. I take no medication such as allopurinol. My first attack was when I was 25 years old - it is not an "old mans" illness.

There are a few things that I have learned:

1. Taking allopurinol during an attack will make it worse - so do not do it.

2. Colchicine is a mild poison and that is why it flushes the body. Too much will give you the shits but that is also the flushing process. I always used Colchicine and Ibuprofen for the pain.

3. For a major attack, you should get the knee drained ........ and bring the inflammation down.

For control:

My condition (and I used to get hellish attacks) was bought on by a number of factors and they were not really dietary driven:

1. I did not drink enough water on a daily basis.

2. I did not exercise.

3. I was overweight but not obese.

4. I was "stressed" and had high blood pressure.

I simply reversed the above over time. I lost weight but according to the charts am still overweight, exercise, drink plenty of water and my BP is 125/80 for a 52 year old. I drink perhaps 1-2 units per day and that includes red wine and beer (a big no no for gouties). I eat less red meat mainly because the quality is not so great here but do not control my diet over gout. I eat what I want but try to eat reasonably healthy. I am still stressed!

At the first sign of a twinge of pain, I drink lots of water, watermelon juice and take an colchicine. I can usually reverse it within a few hours.

You have control gout as you have it for life or it will make for a very painful time.

• Like 1

Buy some raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and take a couple of tablespoons on an empty stomach a few times a day until symptoms disappear. Use a straw to drink it diluted in a full glass of water. It should only take a couple of days to get rid of the most of if not all the pain.

Where can I buy raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar? I have some Heinz brand but I'm pretty sure that's not the real deal. I'm in Pattaya BTW.

You need to alkalize your body to neutralize the uric acid causing the gout. There are several effective ways to do this - e.g. drink freshly squeezed lemon juice first thing in the morning and any time on an empty stomach up to 3 times per day. Same for Bicarbonate of Soda. Same for Apple Cider Vinegar. All these must be drunk on an empty stomach otherwise not effective to alkalize your body. A tea made from unripe Papaya fruit with Papaya leaves will help - but quite bitter so can be sweetened with a little honey - or mixed with regular tea as previous poster mentioned. The Thai herb Bo-Ra-Pet - Tinaspora crispa - can also be taken to reduce gout symptoms.

Alkalizing the body in this way is also a very effective anti-cancer treatment - both as a preventative strategy and also to reduce or remove cancer that is already established

• Like 1

Where can I buy raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar? I have some Heinz brand but I'm pretty sure that's not the real deal. I'm in Pattaya BTW.

http://www.bragg.com/

I think Villa Supermarket stock it.

• Like 1

Willing to give this a try, but why drink it through a straw? Not the most pleasant thing to take though.

The straw is needed because the APC can strip enamel off your teeth. Put some honey in if you don't like the taste.

Added benefit of APC is that it helps detoxify the liver and can help with kidney stones as well which is a related condition to gout.

Make sure you buy only raw organic unfiltered APC.

+1

The answer you'll get from quack alt-med sites is because lemon juice is highly acidic and helps corrode your tooth enamel. I'm not sure how the straw is supposed to help that, because even when you drink with a straw, whatever you drink still ends up in your mouth.

Edited by attrayant

You need to alkalize your body to neutralize the uric acid causing the gout. There are several effective ways to do this - e.g. drink freshly squeezed lemon juice first thing in the morning and any time on an empty stomach up to 3 times per day. Same for Apple Cider Vinegar.

Care to explain how drinking acid (lemon juice, vinegar) can make your body less acidic?

• Like 2

colchine .6 mg one pill every day and you can drink daily and eat what you want. Been on it for 4 years with no side effects and only one very very minor one day only inflammation during that time. I go the the government hospital once every 6 months, pay the 500 bt doctor fee and 180 pills (6 month supply) cost about $6. I drink beer 6 days a week, I dont overeat but I am a chef and often eat rich foods high in purines. Happy days!

My deepest sympathy as I to have suffered on and off for many years with gout but only two or three times a year these days and the only thing I take now is Capirox when I feel an oncoming attack and it works for me so good luck.It is also cheap as chips from any chemist.

Edited by mosquitobill

Having suffered regularly with gout for 28 years and tried all manner of things to reduce the problems - it will never go away - I eventually saw a doctor who told me to cut out animal protein (meat and dairy) and stop drinking alcohol. As nothing thus far had worked I thought it was worth a try so I followed his advice closely for one month, during which my uric acid level went from 11.8 to 5.5 (8.8 is considered upper limit of acceptable) and the pain went away.

I now eat more vegetables and less meat than I used to, drink the same amount of beer and sometimes wine and have not had a gout attack for two years. Don't know if this simple lifestyle change will work for everybody or indeed suit everybody, but for me it is way preferable than near constant pain.

The above is a long term self regulated solution. For a quick fix the Hoegarten out of the knee is good and a Kenelog injection in the sole of the foot will have you at the disco this evening.

Cheers.

The answer you'll get from quack alt-med sites is because lemon juice is highly acidic and helps corrode your tooth enamel. I'm not sure how the straw is supposed to help that, because even when you drink with a straw, whatever you drink still ends up in your mouth.

We were talking about APC not lemon juice!

The straw minimises the amount of APC that hits the teeth directly although of course some still ends up in the mouth.

APC is no quack cure thousands of gout suffers have benefitted from it. Plenty of testimonials as to its effectiveness.

Cheers.

you can get rid of it guys ...three easy steps if you want to be pain free ..

1/ cut out anything with HFCS .High Fructose Corn Syrup , esp sugar drinks , processed carbs , its in so many products you will be surprised ... its not sugar at all your body will treat it like a toxin ...

2/ switch to a plant based diet , minimal protein..

3/ drink a lot of filtered water ..

give it a shot worth the effort for a pain free future and save you a heap of money

goodluck

Seems there is always one chap who comes up with this natural healing crap.

1/ cut out anything with HFCS .High Fructose Corn Syrup , esp sugar drinks , processed carbs , its in so many products you will be surprised ... its not sugar at all your body will treat it like a toxin ...

give it a shot worth the effort for a pain free future and save you a heap of money

goodluck

So what's your answer? Dose yourself with chemicals that have dangerous side effects?

Edited by giddyup

I have been Gout free for 3 years by doing the following:

1) Drink water, LOTS of water. 5-6 Litres a day. Minimum. It's challenging for a week or two, but then you get used to it.

2) Cherry Concentrate. If I start to feel a tingle, which does happen on rare occasion, I pop Cherry pills for about a week. Cherry is supposed to do something with the uric acids.

Good luck!

colchine .6 mg one pill every day and you can drink daily and eat what you want. Been on it for 4 years with no side effects and only one very very minor one day only inflammation during that time. I go the the government hospital once every 6 months, pay the 500 bt doctor fee and 180 pills (6 month supply) cost about $6. I drink beer 6 days a week, I dont overeat but I am a chef and often eat rich foods high in purines. Happy days!

Colchicine is indicated in an acute attack only not for long term treatment; there is a risk of kidney stones forming.

Allopurinol is the indicated drug of long term prophylactic treatment.

1) Drink water, LOTS of water. 5-6 Litres a day. Minimum. It's challenging for a week or two, but then you get used to it.

2) Cherry Concentrate. If I start to feel a tingle, which does happen on rare occasion, I pop Cherry pills for about a week. Cherry is supposed to do something with the uric acids.

Good luck!

I try and drink around 6 or 7 glasses, probably no more than 2-3 litres. If I drank 6 litres I'd be up 10 times for a piss at night!

Good luck!

I try and drink around 6 or 7 glasses, probably no more than 2-3 litres. If I drank 6 litres I'd be up 10 times for a piss at night!

Probably better to get up to piss than suffer the pain of gout. You think?

goodluck

go to the doctor get more drugs ... short term fix...!! change your diet for a month and reap the benefits going forward or stay addicted to prescription drugs and keep abusing your body ...those are individuals choices ... no point even responding to your ignorant comment about natural healing ....other than it works if you have the balls to try it .

There are few conditions where so many alternate treatment options and "sworne by" cures are available than for gout..

Gout is a condition where there is a genetic shortage of a liver enzyme that binds to uric acid to make it water soluble and therefore able to be filtered out by the kidneys.

As with these conditions, the actual structure and/or levels and availability of this enzyme may differ in actual gout sufferers so for some, dietary changes will suffice or just an increase in water intake may help but for those with a significant enzyme deficiency additional treatment with a drug like allopurinol will be necessary. Dietary modification, increased fluid intake etc are all of benefit but please try and differentiate between quack therapies and useful treatment.

Some posts have been edited to keep it civil..

• Like 1

Good luck!

Probably better to get up to piss than suffer the pain of gout. You think?

Hmmm, tough choice. Gout strikes me about once every 6 months, sometimes mild, occasionally severe, whereas getting up several times a night, every night, and having continually interrupted sleep, hmmm, like I said tough call. I'm going to try some natural remedies first like Roselle tea and lemon juice and the organic cider vinegar. If I don't get any joy from them, next stop Alopurinol.

Allopurinol worked for me, 100 mg per day for about 6 months now down to 2 pills a month after a two year period. Haven't had gout since I started the program.

Great short term relief can be had by taking Naprogesic, a Bayer product, or something similar containing Naproxen Sodium (275 mg).

BTW and don't laugh. Naprogesic in marketed for female 'Period Pain' relief but works great in relieving the pain of gout as well as the inflammation.

A chemist recommended it to me as I did not have a doctors script for the drug I really wanted at the time.

EDIT: Absolutely NO changes in my diet whilst on the Allopurinol coarse. Still have my few pints a day.

Edited by bdenner

Allopurinol worked for me, 100 mg per day for about 6 months now down to 2 pills a month after a two year period. Haven't had gout since I started the program.

Great short term relief can be had by taking Naprogesic, a Bayer product, or something similar containing Naproxen Sodium (275 mg).

BTW and don't laugh. Naprogesic in marketed for female 'Period Pain' relief but works great in relieving the pain of gout as well as the inflammation.

A chemist recommended it to me as I did not have a doctors script for the drug I really wanted at the time.

EDIT: Absolutely NO changes in my diet whilst on the Allopurinol coarse. Still have my few pints a day.

What's the price of Allopurinol?

I had a similar episode (I get the odd attack of gout too) went to the hospital where they removed a quantity of what looked like Hoegarten beer from the knee.

Instant relief.

Did you ask for a glass?
I prefer to raise the glass of empathy to those in pain.