6 new provincial airports to be built for better air-transport connectivity

Lite Beer

They should make good use of Hua Hin airport.

All I've seen so far is a couple of short lived attempts at flights to / from Bangkok, this is an obvious waste of time as too few people use them although it's something I would use occasionally.

If they planned these things better they could make Hua Hin into a mini hub with domestic flights to destinations in the north and south making it a valuable stopping off point on the way around Thailand. With people changing flights in Hua Hin free stopovers would encourage many to take a few days in the Cma Am / Hua Hin area which would boost local tourism. If they threw in a couple of under served international routes that would further boost things.

Of course this would require considerable investment and planning which is where I suspect it falls apart.

how much for a helicopter flight from bangkok to hua hin ? hate the 3 hours in the car

Thailand is surprisingly expensive for helicopters. I can't remember the prices when I last looked but whatever it was - it's way over what it should be.

Compare Thailand to somewhere like Brazil for example and there's no comparison in the prices of helicopter trips. Brazil is known as a tourist rip off but the helicopters were decent models and the flights not too expensive the last time I went there. This was some time ago.

Edited by ukrules

Kanchanaburi ?? Could prolly drive to bkk quicker.

totster smile.png

There is an airfield there, has been talked about a lot, but flights from Bangkok would be a waste of time, but if they have flights from other places that would be good.

Not sure about the need for another one in Trat, thee is one there all ready, sadly operated by BKK airways which means rip off fares.

how much for a helicopter flight from bangkok to hua hin ? hate the 3 hours in the car

Thailand is surprisingly expensive for helicopters. I can't remember the prices when I last looked but whatever it was - it's way over what it should be.

Compare Thailand to somewhere like Brazil for example and there's no comparison in the prices of helicopter trips. Brazil is known as a tourist rip off but the helicopters were decent models and the flights not too expensive the last time I went there. This was some time ago.

I thought there may have been other reasons as to why Hua Hin airport never really took off, but probably not allowed to discuss it here.

• Like 1

totster smile.png

There is an airfield there, has been talked about a lot, but flights from Bangkok would be a waste of time, but if they have flights from other places that would be good.

Not sure about the need for another one in Trat, thee is one there all ready, sadly operated by BKK airways which means rip off fares.

Years ago we were looking at some nice land along the river at Lat Ya, just outside of Kan where the airfield is. The sellers eyes really lit up when we let on that we were interested. Then they chimed in with what they thought was the deal clincher. The military airfield was soon to be developed for civilian flights mainly to the north of Thailand. Not wanting to be on a flight path wifey and I made our excuses and left.

• Like 1

Hummmm....What sound like a nice project may be a renewal source for corruption. I will like to be positive...but...It is a fact that airports planning and construction is the most common way to increase politicians fortune. Starting with buying at front land selected for the airport site, or building it by or on a selected private land.....Somebody is always the first beneficiary of those BIG projects...PEOPLE in second position...if lucky..

Edited by umbanda

totster smile.png

Years ago we were looking at some nice land along the river at Lat Ya, just outside of Kan where the airfield is. The sellers eyes really lit up when we let on that we were interested. Then they chimed in with what they thought was the deal clincher. The military airfield was soon to be developed for civilian flights mainly to the north of Thailand. Not wanting to be on a flight path wifey and I made our excuses and left.

To this day i hear that rumour evrrytime i am in Lat Ya or Nong Bua

I would like to think that they would have thought of Tourist Safety by now ...... before building 6 new airports. facepalm.gif

It goes like this LOS......

1. More feet with wallet full of money ( tourist ) in your country = better economy to build 6 more airports.....

2. No Safety for Tourist with wallet full of money = No Tourist for LOS....

3. No money for LOS = No more FUC***G airports needed !!! whistling.gif

Now stop wasting time designing new airports and start doing something about TOURIST SAFETY first....

They say.... you can bring a donkey to the pond..... but you can never make him drink..... wai2.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

totster smile.png

To this day i hear that rumour evrrytime i am in Lat Ya or Nong Bua

Hey.....if you say it enough times it's bound to happen right?

totster smile.png

Kanchanaburi is really expanding the existing airport - but mainly for freight.

Aimed at the long-planned (but never financed properly) Dawei deep sea port. While they keep saying that might open in just a few years - you still have to build a highway on the Myanmar side, and pass the SEZ legislation there. Oh, and also the heavy rail link (freight).

Even though it makes sense (perhaps) in attracting deep sea freight away from Singapore and putting it on rail - I think 10 years might be optimistic. Plus of course I don't think the rail link from Dawei to northern Myanmar is operating yet? (not sure of that though). Basically the entire project would benefit Thailand much more than Myanmar right now, hence the slow pace.

Location, location, location....look at the airport for Korat. So far out of town, its costs more for the taxi than the plane ticket even if the did have service there. It sits mostly empty and unused except for some private planes the last time I was there.

I can remember when you could catch an Army helicopter from Korat to Bangers,$50.

I think it is time for Thailand to develop a fast and modern rail network instead to set up new airports . For short distances it almost as fast as plane if you account all time spend from home to fianl destination . It is much more cheaper for users and with almost zero pollution. Thai sky starting to be congested.

I think it is time for Thailand to develop a fast and modern rail network instead to set up new airports . For short distances it almost as fast as plane if you account all time spend from home to fianl destination . It is much more cheaper for users and with almost zero pollution. Thai sky starting to be congested.

Now, now......we are entering the silly period.

All pompous announcements just for the sake of making noise.

The economy is in a downturn, first sort this problem out and then start speaking about constructing new airports.

But Thais still live in a dream world of their own.

It is all Greek to me Costas-a- lot.

Win

• 1 month later...