New destination signs help motorists driving safer in Bangkok

webfact

New destination signs help motorists driving safer in capital

6-10-2557-15-22-20-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is now installing new destination signs on Bangkok streets to facilitate motorists as they have more information and have more time to make decision, thus easing accidents from instant lane shifting.

The new destination signs have now been installed at 30 locations in 14 major intersections, and will cover all intersections in near future.

Mr Thaweesak Lertpraphan, deputy director of the BMA’s Traffic and Transportation Department, said the news destination signs is under the BMA’s inventory “Best Service” project for Bangkok people who drive in the capital because they will have more information about the destinations they are going to.

Instead of telling motorists only the end destinations, the new sign board will tell them to which destinations they will go if they choose to go straight, or take a right turn or left turn. The new signs will have name of roads and intersections so motorist will know ahead of their drive.

He said that with motorists knowing more destinations ahead, it would help them to have the clear picture of their drive while in turn could ease traffic congestions and avoid traffic accidents in case they shift lanes abruptly in case of going on wrong lanes and wrong destinations.

He said then new destination sign boards are installed more than 500 metres off each intersection, unlike the old signs which are 100-150 metres away from intersections.

The longer distance will allow motorists to have time to make decisions on alternative routes before arriving at the intersections.

This will ease the problem of abrupt change of lanes by motorists and lower accidents from such instant change, he said.

He said now these new destination sign boards have already been installed at 30 locations in 14 major intersections.

They are in Yaek Muang Main, Sukhumvit-Sukhumvit 50, Lat Krabang-Romklo, Lat Krabang-Suwarnabhumi, Yannawa-Sathupradit, Yaek Bukkalo, Yaek Dao Kampong, Yaek Mahaisawan, Buddhamonthon Sai 1-Boromratchoni, Buddhamonthon Sai 2- Boromratchoni, Suanpak- Buddhamonthon Sai 1, Kamnan Man-Kalaprapruek, Bang Khe, Bang Bon-Kalaprapruek, and Arunamarin-overhead Boromratchoni road.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-destination-signs-help-motorists-driving-safer-capital/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-06

A good idea. Bit of a shame that the image supporting this is so poor...hope that is the image and not the signs!

I have been "caught" going over an overpass a number of times as I was following signs to my destination (honest!) that showed me to be in the lane that took the overpass. This is particularly evident on Viphavadhi-Rangist. I know them all now but had a number of stops whilst learning all the routes.

Just slow down, and that alone would save,lives...

It ain't rocket science... Just common sense.....

Yes, slowing down. Why didn't I think of this? That'll be the 15 ton truck being driven by a F***ING moron coming up behind me....the reason I ride a 125 not a 110 in Bangkok.

Yes, slowing down. Why didn't I think of this? That'll be the 15 ton truck being driven by a F***ING moron coming up behind me....the reason I ride a 125 not a 110 in Bangkok.

I think we all know why you never thought of this .....

I think we all know why you never thought of this .....

Go for it. I'm intrigued as to where you're going with this.

It took me a long time to fathom out why my wife could read the signs earlier than me. I then realised that the directions in Thai are larger than in English. I thought it was because she had better eyesight.

If it wasn’t for my GPS I’d still be driving round Bangkok now.

Have a Nice Day

I agree - that little fellow has saved me a lot of headaches in the past. Google maps and navigation is getting up to par now with my Garmin, so when the day comes I might consider a smathpone/phablet option instead.

Anyways, good to see that driving and directions gets a bit easier (hopefully) from now on.

I was biking with a group of Thai bikers, and asked why they rode so fast. Their response? To keep ahead of the car drivers!

"He said that with motorists knowing more destinations ahead, it would help them to have the clear picture of their drive while in turn could ease traffic congestions and avoid traffic accidents in case they shift lanes abruptly in case of going on wrong lanes and wrong destinations."

The drivers who use the same routes every day of their working lives and know exactly which lane they need to be in, still find it completely necessary to change lanes abruptly every 5 metres just to try and get ahead of all the other drivers doing the same thing....