Why isn't Hyundai a better seller in Tailand?

giddyup

Nothing lasts Forever, in the Cold November Rain. Guns n Roses..... Who thinks today's everyday Cars will be remembered in Years to come..The Olds Rocket 88 . Nash Rambler , Pontiac Le Mans.. endless listings possible.Will I remember My Honda Civic, or overpriced C Benz Blue.? No kin way. Golden Neck Oil Time Chaps.drunk.gif

How many current bands or songs will be remembered 40 or 50 years from now?

Guess lots of people in there 60's

Same as cars, I know a lot of makes and models of the 50's and 60's, also owned a few, that people in there 20's today have never heard of.

even not that long ago, I had to have the latest thing in my car the all new back then 8 track. No kids today even know what a 8 track is/was.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing lasts Forever, in the Cold November Rain. Guns n Roses..... Who thinks today's everyday Cars will be remembered in Years to come..The Olds Rocket 88 . Nash Rambler , Pontiac Le Mans.. endless listings possible.Will I remember My Honda Civic, or overpriced C Benz Blue.? No kin way. Golden Neck Oil Time Chaps.drunk.gif

How many current bands or songs will be remembered 40 or 50 years from now?

I believe the Eagles and Clapton are still currently playing.. so at least a couple smile.png

Don't forget the Stones.

The main reason that would prevent me from buying most Hyundais is the styling - that example you show is proof that the cars are just plain ugly!

That said, that people mover van thingy is kinda nice . . .

Thais do buy imported cars of course, take a look at how many expensive Euro cars ride the streets of BKK, damn things are everywhere.

Maybe Hyundai should lift their prices in Thailand.

Have you even looked at the Hyundai lineup before you make such a silly statement? Have a look at some of their model here and still stick by the remark that they make ugly cars. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis/comparison.aspx and here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/comparison.aspx

I've seen a couple of Sonata's on the road in Chiang Mai and it certainly had a wow factor for me and had me starring and once followed one to be sure I was seeing Hyundai badge on it. I would probably got one if they had US prices on it here ($25k). But with it in the same price range as Accord, Camry, etc. I would have to evaluate my thoughts on it a bit. Saw that the Thailand Hyundai site shows neither the Sonata or Genesis series available so assume the ones I saw were either grey import or special order.

I have seen them on display in Central at Chonburi. Quite impressive and appear good value for money, about 1.2M if I remember right.

Now under 800000thb because its are assembled in Indonesia...

Sonata is still a full import + is not much more than the Accord built in Thailand [1.3 - 1.8 million]........ Me I would have a 2nd hand Sonata 2012 or 2013 model costing less than the Accord of same year, something with style and different than a common Honda.

Only an American could like the looks of a car that has a front looking like a ten ton truck.

Not only American. In my home country you see a lot of them and i like it too. But over there it' cost half of the price ,what they asking here.

A Common Honda Mr Ignis..?.., perish the thought. At least all these Common Cars have a very Common Diagnostic Plug in Service spread all over Thailand, and spares on the shelf for us Common Folk.biggrin.png .

Goodness me you need to use a Diagnostic Plug in Service and spare parts on a year or 2 old car ?

A Common Honda Mr Ignis..?.., perish the thought. At least all these Common Cars have a very Common Diagnostic Plug in Service spread all over Thailand, and spares on the shelf for us Common Folk.biggrin.png .

Ummm Pretty much every vehicle worldwide all have the same OBD II plug in diagnostics don't they ?

Edited by Spoonman

No Idea ive never been a Grease Monkey. I Bow to you Knowledge.

Well atleast you admit you have no knowledge, if only you would keep the pie hole shut rather than spewing forth random crap.... that you admit you have no knowledge off.

The Sonata is now under 800k baht new? Are you sure about that? The CKD Malaysian assembled Elantra Sport starts at 749k baht so don't see how the Sonata is a similar price.

Haven't seen prices for the Sonata sedan but the Sport 2.0 are pricey.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Not sure if the Sonata saloon is still available. Appears to have been discontinued in the UK in 2010 and superseded by the i40.

The Sonata is now under 800k baht new? Are you sure about that? The CKD Malaysian assembled Elantra Sport starts at 749k baht so don't see how the Sonata is a similar price.

Not sure if the Sonata saloon is still available. Appears to have been discontinued in the UK in 2010 and superseded by the i40.

2015 Sonata - at least for me I think it looks quite nice. That US price for the SE is less then 700,000 Baht. But with a 2.4L engine, would be a large tax on it in Thailand. Even the Sport 2.0T is around 900,000 Baht in the US but approaching double that here.

name difference in different Countries..

Here the Minibus is called H-1, in UK is named i800

The Elantra Sport here is the i30 in UK

The i40 in UK is the named here Sonata

No Idea ive never been a Grease Monkey. I Bow to you Knowledge.

Well atleast you admit you have no knowledge, if only you would keep the pie hole shut rather than spewing forth random crap.... that you admit you have no knowledge off.

I did have no info on Diagnostics until l i went to Toyotas Service today.Asked the Service Manager could he Diagnose Our Hondas or a Hyundai or anything else on their Machine. Reply. Not as its set up Now. Perhaps it could be , but each Car Brand has its Own Range Program. And Your Info is again a Smartase Reply, and Mr Toyota talks nonsence no doubt.

2015 Sonata - at least for me I think it looks quite nice. That US price for the SE is less then 700,000 Baht. But with a 2.4L engine, would be a large tax on it in Thailand. Even the Sport 2.0T is around 900,000 Baht in the US but approaching double that here.

That is the US website. Hyundai Thailand only shows the 2 Sonata Sport models and the UK site does not show a Sonata at all. The only saloon is the i40 which looks like a Sonata with a different engine.

May be the same body shell but not the same car. The i40 is only available as a 1.7 diesel. I would have thought that would be quite popular in Thailand.

Only an American could like the looks of a car that has a front looking like a ten ton truck.

I'm an Australian and I love it. Ridiculous comment

I'm not sure who is more insulted - Americans or Aussies...

May be the same body shell but not the same car. The i40 is only available as a 1.7 diesel. I would have thought that would be quite popular in Thailand.

No idea ?? last time I was in UK was 2003

dated 8th Aug 2014:

Hyundai i40 saloon [car buyer guide] UK, 1.6-litre Blue Drive petrol which develops 133bhp. and the 2.0-litre petrol which develops 177bhp.

the 1.7-litre CRDi diesel for its better blend of efficiency and performance. It comes in 114bhp or 134bhp models

Edited by ignis

No idea ?? last time I was in UK was 2003

dated 8th Aug 2014:

Hyundai i40 saloon [car buyer guide] UK, 1.6-litre Blue Drive petrol which develops 133bhp. and the 2.0-litre petrol which develops 177bhp.

the 1.7-litre CRDi diesel for its better blend of efficiency and performance. It comes in 114bhp or 134bhp models

Bit strange, the text on that website does refer to petrol engines but the list of available models ties up with the Hyundai site and only has diesels. The UK is fixated on green engines now.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the state of Thai roads, the rainy season and the number of curves, I'm surprised there a next to no AWD sedans here. Or perhaps Thais think FWD is sufficient to their needs?

Good point, but is it the chicken or the egg? i.e. no demand so no supply. Or no supply so no demand.

I think the latter, the manufacturers and their locked-in partners in govt deliberately keep anything which might be a challenge to pick-up trucks out of the Thai market. Try buying a small car with a diesel engine or a conpact SUV with a diesel engine, you can't. No problem in other countries but not in Thailand. The pick-up market is heavily protected for some reason.