Prasat Phanom Rung temple miracle draws thousands to watch in Buriram province

webfact

Prasat Phanom Rung temple miracle draws thousands to watch

10-7-2014-11-58-57-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BURIRAM: -- The three-day event when the sunset could be visible through all 15 gates of the ancient Khmer temple in Buriram province started yesterday with thousands arriving to watch this phenomenon.

Astrologers have calculated the sunset this year will be visible through all 15 gates during March 6-8, and October 6-8 at 17.45-18.15 hours.

But unfortunately yesterday the horizon was obscured by clouds and the many visitors were disappointed.

The sunset could not be visible through all the 15 doorways of the temple.

But authorities said they expected the phenomenon will be visible today and tomorrow when the sky opens.

Watching the miracles coincided with the festival of the historic temple which was declared the period for ‘The Sacred Month of Prasat Phanom Rung’.

A Brahmin ritual was performed and for the first time this year Prasat Phanom Rung temple had two annual celebrations.

The first sunset phenomenon drew thousands of visitors to watch the sunset coming through all the 15 gates on March 6.

All visitors were impressed by the phemenon and they watched until 6.10 pm when the sun was seen through all 15 gates for five minutes.

Visitors believed that the sun rays that shone pass the Sivalung (lingam), or the Hindu phallic symbol of creative power, located in the middle of the temple will bring fortunes and lucks to those who watched the sunset.

Buriram tourism authorities expected thousands to return this afternoon to watch if clouds pose no obstacle for the watch.

(Photo : http://thainews.prd.go.th)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prasat-phanom-rung-temple-miracle-draws-thousands-watch/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-07

But unfortunately yesterday the horizon was obscured by clouds and the many visitors were disappointed.

My former tourist guide Ms. Rin Kanokpan from a village nearby Buri Ram forgot her phone in my car. Does anybody know her? She's 53 years old, forgot the name of her village. I only remember that there was a huge artificial elephant not too far away from her village.

I can't switch the phone on to find some numbers for identification purposes.

Any tips how to locate her would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Astrologers have calculated the sunset this year will be visible through all 15 gates during March 6-8, and October 6-8 at 17.45-18.15 hours.

Astrologers?

And calling it a miracle is more than a bit of a stretch.

More by luck than a miracle if local builders had anything to do with it......

• Like 1

My former tourist guide Ms. Rin Kanokpan from a village nearby Buri Ram forgot her phone in my car. Does anybody know her? She's 53 years old, forgot the name of her village. I only remember that there was a huge artificial elephant not too far away from her village.

I can't switch the phone on to find some numbers for identification purposes.

Any tips how to locate her would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Meuang District??

post-150770-0-92752100-1412665376_thumb.

Astrologers?

And calling it a miracle is more than a bit of a stretch.

More by luck than a miracle if local builders had anything to do with it......

Not only local builders, but eight or nine hundred years ago, maybe as much as a thousand. Not bad, eh?

Edited by Acharn

A wonder of engineering, especially when you consider that the stones for the building had to be carted from the quarry about 30kms away. Then they had to get them up that steep hill to the top. I imagine that oxen and elephants were the order of the day.