Koh Tao's killers: PM Prayuth to explain case to Myanmar during visit

webfact

KOH TAO'S KILLERS
PM to explain case to Myanmar during visit

The Nation, AFP

30244987-01_big.jpg?1412723448403

Ready to outline Koh Tao arrests on his trip tomorrow

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is prepared to explain the Thai police conclusion - that two Myanmar workers killed two British backpackers on Koh Tao last month - to the Myanmar government, if asked, during his visit to Nay Pyi Taw tomorrow.

Permanent Secretary for foreign affairs Sihasak Puangketkeow said yesterday that Prayut, who will make his first official visit tomorrow, has ordered that the police report be translated into English.

"If asked during the visit about the investigation into the Koh Tao murders, the premier is ready to explain all the details about the investigation to the Myanmar

leaders," Sihasak said.

Meanwhile, senior Thai police are determined to conclude the case over the murder of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on the resort island. They went ahead yesterday with moves to prosecute two workers from Myanmar despite scepticism from the media and public that they are guilty.

Officials from the Myanmar Embassy visited the two accused yesterday and said later the pair admitted killing the tourists. Surat Thani police handed their investigation report into the murders to public prosecutors yesterday.

The 850-page report recommends prosecuting the two Myanmar men - Maung Saw and Maung Win - whom police said had confessed to killing the British pair at dawn on Sept 15.

At a press conference in Bangkok, national police chief Pol-General Somyot Poompanmoung and rejected claims that the two men had been framed. He insisted all police work was based on scientific proof and confessions by the two Myanmar nationals. The press conference over the double murders on the tourist island would be the last by the police, he said.

Somyot detailed five factors leading to a decision to prosecute the two men - two unidentified witnesses who implicated the pair; positive DNA identification against them; surveillance footage camera of them, information from Miller's mobile phone, and the pair's confession, given to police with their lawyers present.

On the mobile phone, Pol Maj-General Suwat Jaengyordsuk spoke at the same press conference, saying that an unnamed Myanmar friend who got the phone from the suspects told police he destroyed it, before putting it in a plastic bag and discarding it at the back of his home.

Asked about a conclusion by police that Witheridge did not have sex with consent, Suwat said forensic evidence showed that she was assaulted, and later violated sexually while she was still alive, because she was assaulted again, fatally. The other reason was that there was no evidence that there was anyone else present at the scene, so the conclusion was made that way.

Pol Colonel Prachum Ruangthong, chief of Koh Pha-Ngan police whose jurisdiction covers Koh Tao, read out the final police investigation report which said that both victims separately arrived in Koh Tao on September 12, and met at the Ocean View, where they checked in. Both victims watched a live football match at the Chopper Bar with friends before they went to the AC Bar. They were later found dead on the beach.

He said police went through all material evidence, including DNA samples, surveillance camera footage, and found no clues to the killings, before turning to residents on the island, and learning of three men who were singing and playing a guitar not far from the scene. Police began questioning a Myanmar man identified as Maw, who later implicated Maung Saw and Maung Win.

Meanwhile, AFP reported that officials from the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok are probing for more details about the case, though the suspects affirmed their confession during a meeting earlier yesterday. The officials were granted permission to meet the two migrant workers, who confessed to killing Witheridge and Miller.

"We met Maung Saw and Maung Win at Koh Samui prison. They told us they committed the crime while they were under the influence of alcohol," said Aung Myo Than, a lawyer from the embassy. However, he said there were wide discrepancies between police statements and what they had said.

"A cigarette was found at the crime scene. The police announced that their DNA test results were taken from that cigarette. But the suspects said they did not smoke at the scene," Aung Myo Than said. "They only said they smoked at a place where they were playing the guitar, about 25 yards from the scene. We went to the police station to give their statements."

Another migrant, Maung Maung, was also detained as a plaintiff witness. But Aung Myo Than said the delegation was not allowed to meet Maung Muang.

Kyaw Thaung, head of the Myanmar Citizens Association, who was part of the delegation, said another discrepancy was injuries found on Miller. The suspects said they hit the man with a spade three times, as the woman was being raped and began to shout, Kyaw Thaung said. Yet the police stated that the man was stabbed in the jaw and cheekbone by a pointed item.

"They (the accused) said they did not think the man would die. There are differences between their statements and Thai police statements," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-to-explain-case-to-Myanmar-during-visit-30244987.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-08

Getting back to the phones again I feel something is missing but have a few thoughts.

David's phone was first said to be found in another room with hair stuck to it.

It was also found in the bushes smashed up.

there is also a picture of a what looks like phone next to shorts at the crime scene.

there also posters on him that attempt to throw the phone story off course and they may be covering for people.

I have been thinking about the smashed up phone and thinking it may be another persons that was at the crime and a mix up may of ocurred it is possible that that phone is not davids at all and is damaged so bad and thrown away intenionally so no one can recognise it.

that phone may not be David's it needs to be examined this may lead to another person .

• Like 2

This is going to present a dilemma for the supporters of the general who also support a cover up by police.

Your good general who goes on about reforms is about to go into bat for what you guys think s a massive cover up by the RTP who you think is corrupt.

Anyway he's putting a lot on the line creditably wise and he'd better hope he's backing the right side.

Doesn't really matter though he's there as long as he wants.

This is going to present a dilemma for the supporters of the general who also support a cover up by police.

Your good general who goes on about reforms is about to go into bat for what you guys think s a massive cover up by the RTP who you think is corrupt.

Anyway he's putting a lot on the line creditably wise and he'd better hope he's backing the right side.

Yes a dilemma for sure. A lot of people are frustrated with a return to status quo.

• Like 1

Hes better off just ringing and saying .. Ummmm i'll get back to you ... click !

To Myanmar I wonder how Thailand rates over the rest of the international community watching at this time re political and image influence regarding this case ?

Could be interesting.

Edited by englishoak

If he feels there is a need to explain the situation it means that there are still problems related to this fiasco.

Based on some recent undiplomatic comments it would be better to say nothing but it is unlikely he can do that particularly if pressed and baited by foreign media.

Edited by Thailand
  • Like 1

You may have mental health issues, please seek help. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

• Like 1

If he feels there is a need to explain the situation it means that there are still problems related to this fiasco.

Based on some recent undiplomatic comments it would be better to say nothing but it is unlikely he can do that particularly if pressed and baited by foreign media.

He may be on relatively safe ground in Myanmar as the govt there knows all about oppression and abuse of human rights and they may also keep the international media at bay.

The problems might really arise when he arrives for the conference in Milan.

What is his appointment in Milan?

I read after Sean Mcanna's outburst and escape that Sean was heading to Italy to see his girlfriend.He's either still in Italy or hiding out somewhere in UK.

Could they perhaps "bump into each other" ?

• Like 1

I'd explain it like this: If any author would write a crime novel with the official RTP story being his story line while making the mistake of leaving all those other (push knife stab wounds on David AND Sean, fistfight David before drowning, Sean left to run, the bloddy guitar, the people who hunted Sean, no eye or ear witnesses, the staged reenactment, the torture, the phones, not interrogating all friends and everyone around Hannah and David that night and more) question marks open, he would not sell one single book and critics would rip the author apart in mid air - he sure would never sell a book in his life and would be a subject to endless ridicule amongst the worldwide community of book authors and publishers. Think about it!

I did think about it. If the 2 from Myanmar did not do it they were in close enough proximity to have heard screams or commotion while others were committing the assault.

BTW did you ever read the Clifford Irving biography of Howard Hughes?

Maybe its just the volume of confusing information but I still think that something is wrong , my gut feeling tells me there were more than 2 assailants.

Its good though to see the report is to be translated into English , transparency in this case can only be a positive thing.

Edited by joecoolfrog

You may have mental health issues, please seek help. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

He's too far gone I'm afraid ....

On the mobile phone, Pol Maj-General Suwat Jaengyordsuk spoke at the same press conference, saying that an unnamed Myanmar friend who got the phone from the suspects told police he destroyed it, before putting it in a plastic bag and discarding it at the back of his home.

Really?

A piece of evidence from a vicious double homicide was put into a plastic bag and "discarded" in his own back yard? Not thrown into the sea; not burned; not dumped in a trash can far from home?

The only thing that could be more stupid than to believe that, is to believe the general's comment above.

• Like 2

I am sure the Burmese are continuing to be disappointed in the treatment they receive in Thailand. Before it was just a matter or tolerating the rude, abusive, and ill mannered behavior of their Thai employers. Now, they fear for their lives. Granted he is addressing one of the most compromised government in the world, one that is still controlled by the generals, whether or not some naive members of world community see that or not.

Some of my recent posts on this travesty, which seem as relevant as ever:

What is the real moral to this story? Well, one of them is that we are not going to see any meaningful change, to the fabric of Thai society. Many of us were incredibly hopeful that we would see some positive changes. And I think it is quite possible that Prayuth, and his top guys have their hearts in the right places, and want to see this change take place. Many expats, and many Thais really want to see progress, and want to see this country moving forward into this century. Yes, we will see some land crimes solved, and some illegal beach vendors removed. But, in terms of dealing with the massive corruption issues, the kind of power guys like the headman of Koh Tao have, and their ability to abuse that power, and positive changes at an institutional level, and at a national level, where it really counts, many of us now doubt it will happen. This case proves, that many are still above the law, and even the Army cannot touch them. That is the devastating moral to this story. A very disappointing outcome indeed.

This is simply a disinformation campaign, aimed at the ignorant. They have found the killer or killers. They have made a conscious decision not to charge him. They know who he is. They have CCTV footage of him following the victims out of the bar. They have eyewitness accounts of the incident that provoked this. The headman is simply too rich, too powerful, and nobody feels compelled to rock that boat, including the Army. It is very disappointing to alot of people here in Thailand and worldwide, to find that the Army does not really want to rock the boat, and upset the status quo. Very disappointing. Very disconcerting. A real shame. Some things never change, I guess. Looks like that crime infested, drug infested island is going to stay the same forever. Little progress there. Nobody in power wants to see change. It is going to take a very powerful force in Bangkok, if anything there is ever going to change.

• Like 1

Elsewhere it was reported that Gen Prayuth objected to the description of the suspects as 'Myanmar citizens' in the report and instructed that the phrase 'alien workers' should be substituted in the English translation which he is planning to take with him on his forthcoming official visit to Naypyadaw, just in case his Burmese counterparts ask about the case and wish to see the translation. I think this is a brilliant move and commend the good general's wisdom. The Burmese will clearly not realise that the two suspects are Myanmar citizens and will lose interest in the case immediately. They have already been assured that Burmese women are safe from rape and murder at Thai beach resorts because the attractive ones, who would otherwise be at risk, are sensible enough not to wear bikinis on the beach in the few minutes rest per day that Thai employers permit them. So the whole storm in a teacup is of no concern to Burmese at all. Brilliant.

I can't wait to see the English translation of the police report and wonder how many other insightful variations it will contain from the Thai original.

Edited by Dogmatix

So Suwat said that the evidence showed that only 2 people were present at the crime scene, so how does that pan out with the interview on channel 7 the other morning whan a pathologist and a high ranking police officer both said that a 3rd persons dna had been found on Hannahs nipples ( sorry I had to say that), But even though they said that, there is no mention of them looking for a 3rd assailant. Maybe they should test the mafia godfathers son.

• Like 2

I have been following this story from the beginning and this is the first time I absorbed that David Miller was stabbed with a knife, in addition to being hit by a swinging sharp edged gardening tool.

I now have a better grasp of the wound on Sean McAnna's forearm

With all the international reporters picking this up,

there will at least be an opportunity for justice

• Like 2

Maybe its just the volume of confusing information but I still think that something is wrong , my gut feeling tells me there were more than 2 assailants.

Its good though to see the report is to be translated into English , transparency in this case can only be a positive thing.

I agree, the volume of misinformation, disinformation and just plain irrelevant information, contamination of the crime scene, misleading statements from the very top down to local level is such that the credibility of the RTP's case is beyond redemption in my eyes. That does not mean to say that the wheels of 'justice' will not grind their way to the inevitable verdict, of course.

You are assuming too that the translation from Thai to English will be cogent and coherent. That in itself is a tall order given the usual standards applied.

• Like 1

Two innocent young souls have been brutally murdered, but what's even worse is that another two are going to share same fate for the crimes they did not commit. 4 innocent people's life's will be lost and the real killers will still be free. Sickening!

• Like 2

Certainly trust the General/PM has his own "Scape Goats" selected in the case this whole thing goes tits up and more reliable investigators uncover the truth.

Edited by bdenner