Temporary license - can I ride out of Thailand ?

recom273

I'm still on a 1 year temp. Do I have to wait until I get the 5 year before riding in Malaysia ?

I have the translation and bike in my name - now I heard a rumour I could only ride out with the full Thai license. I don't have an international bike license.

Well I'm glad you asked, because this interferes with plans I have to ride to KL next year!

But what if you have an international driving permit?

Downer .. Yes, if you have an international driving permit, you should be fine - but don't these only last for a year ?

And, as casualbiker, says, officially - maybe if you have just shelled out for the translation and insurance Thai side ( where they probably won't worry too much ) will they just let it slide ?

Reports on GTrider say some borders are a bit 'slack'.

An international drivers license/permit is nothing more than a translation (into various languages) of your officially issued license.

If you have a license from your home country or state, obtain a IDL for that.

Online IDL sources offer them for different expiry lengths, for different fees.

Internet search is your friend, e.g., Wikipedia.

Edited by papa al

Malaysia accepts Driving Licences from most countries, so as a first choice, use that. They will also accept the provisional Thai licence without question.

Don't forget to obtain vehicle insurance once through Malaysian Customs/Immigration.

'kin hell .. There are so many 'myths' brewing here.

What permit are you talking about ? .. As far as I knew, you need the bike in your name (tick), go to LTO and get that translated (tick), get a roman numberplate (getting there),

I was thinking of picking up insurance in Hat Yai before but i understand you can get it just after you check in to Malaysia.

Check your bike out of Thailand and into Malaysia with immigration. Then once you have cleared immigration call into the Land Transport Authority and exchange your Thai DL for a Malay driving permit and get a windscreen sticker. No need for an imaginary permit.

So, next weekend, I will attempt it, if i get stumped at the LTA I will get the insurance and just chance my arm. I could even get the wife to exchange her DL and get us through the first roadblock.

Im sure 'casual' is right officially no, but in practice i think its worth a look-see.

Edited by recom273

It is my understanding that the Thai Land Transport Offices that issue an International Driving Permit (IDP) based on a Thai driving license requires the 5 year license before they will issue the IDP.

The IDP is based on a UN Convention that various countries, including Thailand, have agreed to follow. Each country will designate who can issue the IDP - in many cases it is an Auto Club, e.g. AAA in USA. The IDP follows a standard format and in essence copies the information from your valid driving license. The IDP is usually valid for one year. Technically, to drive in another country you must have your regular license with you as well as the IDP to legally drive. However some countries and individual states (in USA) will allow you to drive if you have a valid foreign license without requiring you also have an IDP. See http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/go/safety/driving.html

Be very careful of Internet websites offering International Driving License as they are usually bogus and the prices charged. See US Federal Trade Commission warning about IDP scams - http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0050-international-drivers-license-scams

• Like 1

Take into consideration that if the bike is registered in Thailand, even if it is in your name, you will need to apply for a permit to take it out of Thailand.

Really! First I've heard of that!

I can confirm this. Over a year ago, when I had a one-year (temporary) Thai motorcycle license, and owned my own bike in Thailand, I toured all through Cambodia. Upon leaving Thailand, at Thai immigration at the border, I showed them my Greenbook, and they filled out the permit to take my bike into Cambodia. I do not remember any fee being charged for this. Very simple, but you want to have that form available when re-entering Thailand after your trip.

Here is my experience from my trip to Langkawi My, I left through Dannok, Had Yai two weeks ago.

Temporary export license counter 8, you need green book and your passport.

Check out of Thailand counter 7, your passport.

Take your bike and drive straight down to Malaysian passport counter the left one for motorcycles.

Continue through custom checkpoint and then on the righthand side are some tents, where you buy

insurance for My (700 Baht) valid for one month, there you also get your translated reg. no. 80 Baht.

Proceed to the inspection office, about 25 m.from the tents same side. Get your paperwork done and

you are ready to go,

• Like 1

Well I'm glad you asked, because this interferes with plans I have to ride to KL next year!

But what if you have an international driving permit?

Downer .. Yes, if you have an international driving permit, you should be fine - but don't these only last for a year ?

Regarding =only last for a year=

I extend my Int. Drivers license since some years,

-myself-, with increasing thicker ink - for some fitting year in the future,

was never since long in my home country.

Worked well for me. smile.png

Here is my experience from my trip to Langkawi My, I left through Dannok, Had Yai two weeks ago.

Take your bike and drive straight down to Malaysian passport counter the left one for motorcycles.

Continue through custom checkpoint and then on the righthand side are some tents, where you buy

insurance for My (700 Baht) valid for one month, there you also get your translated reg. no. 80 Baht.

Proceed to the inspection office, about 25 m.from the tents same side. Get your paperwork done and

you are ready to go,

Didn't you need a letter from the LTO which is effectively the translation of the green book? The green book is all written in Thai, Malaysian officials are unable to read it so apparently, this needs to be translated at the LTO (costs 20 baht or something like that).

you are ready to go,

So .. What about your license .. Was it a 1 year temporary ? 5 year ? or international from your own country ?

you are ready to go,

Didn't you need a letter from the LTO which is effectively the translation of the green book? The green book is all written in Thai, Malaysian officials are unable to read it so apparently, this needs to be translated at the LTO (costs 20 baht or something like that).

Yes, here in Pattaya go to the office behind the Regent school, take green book, passport and copies and photo. Collect the next day and yes i think 20 baht, did mine a few weeks ago.

you are ready to go,

Yes, here in Pattaya go to the office behind the Regent school, take green book, passport and copies and photo. Collect the next day and yes i think 20 baht, did mine a few weeks ago.

Photo? What photo? Of the bike? Or of yourself?

• Like 1

you are ready to go,

Photo? What photo? Of the bike? Or of yourself?

Passport sized photo, along with copies of passport, visa and tm card

I remember now that I also needed a photo, which I always have extras. Seems like you need one, you have to buy 2 or 4. Also, remember that while driving a motorbike in Cambodia the headlights must always be off during the day. They don't even care if they are off at night. Cambodian bikes have a toggle switch. I taped magazine covers over my headlights. They will stop and ticket you for your headlights being on. Also, a lot of theft in Cambodia. Every hotel I stayed at put a boat anchor chain through my tires, and had someone watching my bike 24/7.

Edited by stoli

so with temporary license, can we cross borders or not? i have full 5 years riding license now but just want to know.

thanks.

LOL .. Total TV thread .. way off topic within a day.

I think that legally you can't ride in Malaysia with a temporary licence, but I will confirm next weekend, maybe they can even tell me at the LTO, when I go to pick up my translation on Monday.

I can confirm, I didn't need a passport photo (of my bike ? lol) to get a translated copy of my green book by LTO, but i did need a certificate of residence from immigration which did have a photo attached, i supplied 2x to immigration.

• Like 1

you are ready to go,

So .. What about your license .. Was it a 1 year temporary ? 5 year ? or international from your own country ?

you are ready to go,

Regarding =only last for a year=

I extend my Int. Drivers license since some years,

-myself-, with increasing thicker ink - for some fitting year in the future,

was never since long in my home country.

Worked well for me. smile.png

There is no international drivers licence.

There is an international drivers permit valid for 1 year, cannot be extended, only re issued. You must have a valid licence from the country that issues the IDP.

You can get an IDP by post from some country's. Other country's require you to attend in person to get an IDP.

Anything else is a fake.

Traffic police in some country's are very relaxed. Others are not. YMMV