Haven't seen prices this low in years

yankee99

UK to BKK are down too.

A quick check on skyscanner shows

Etiahd £474

Qatar £453

Emirates £466

All return flights Tues 21st returning in January 2015.

I paid what I thought was a good price at £500 a couple of months ago.

Long may the prices drop :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This signals a serious fall off in travel to Thailand IMHO"

Let's hope so.

You might be disappointed. This morning i received my weekly email outlining the latest posts of interest in this sub forum.

Here was the 1st article:

BANGKOK, 12 October 2014 (NNT) – The Department of Tourism has indicated that the Thai tourism sector started to show recovery signs after the government launched measures to boost confidence of tourists. Tourist arrivals from 1-7 October 2014 increased by 10.1% compared to the same period last year.

..... and THIS topic was 2nd. Can't both be right!

This time I paid £30 less than last year @ £500 Etihad Manchester UK - Bkk rtn. Out mid January 2015 rtn end of March. Sensible times with short change overs. I don't accept such as 2am flights and 23 hrs travel time.

Edited by Lancashirelad

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/holiday-airfares-are-rising-amid-record-airline-profits/ar-BBaF5md Entire MSN artcle

Holiday airfares are rising amid record airline profits

Jet fuel prices, which represent one of the airline industry's largest expenses, have dropped nearly 16 percent in the last year, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

And they could drop further. The Energy Department reported an increase in oil inventories Wednesday that was far larger than analysts expected.

Airlines have also benefited from a series of mergers in the last few years that have enabled the largest carriers to eliminate overlapping routes and cut service to low-profit, mid-size airports such as Milwaukee, New Orleans, Pittsburgh and San Antonio.

With the merger of American Airlines and US Airways last year, 80 percent of all domestic travel in the U.S. is now controlled by four airlines, according to a federal analysis.

"With fewer competitors, I think you are going to see more of the same," Moss said, referring to fare hikes.

Jan Brueckner, an economics professor at the University of California, Irvine, is not as critical of airlines.

"Airlines have been historically big money losers, so having airlines make a profit is a good thing," Brueckner said. "It means the industry is healthy."

But Betsy Snyder, an analyst at Standard & Poor's, noted that airlines raised fares during the recession, blaming surging fuel costs.

"So, why don't they lower fares when fuel prices go down?" she asked. "Because it doesn't work that way. I think they will take advantage of this and try to raise fares as much as possible."

Just got brisbane chiang mai return for a$855 with 30kg baggage

That's not too bad.

I notice when AirAsia have "specials" it's the fuel surcharge which is reduced. I checked their recent fares CNX-GoldCoast and there was an extra $98 tacked on for fuel surcharge.

Lowest oil prices in donkey years and a $98 fuel surcharge, I spose as apposed to the solar powered planes.

Good thread non the less.

I got EVA LHR-BKK return for Jan 2015 for £590 today that's somewhat less than the £825 I paid for same EVA flights in Jul/Aug this year.

Prices have definitely taken a tumble.

An apples and oranges comparison. £590 for EVA in January nothing unusual.