Thai car driving's license validity in UK ?

SOMeTOM

Hi guys!

I was wondering for how long can someone drive in UK with a 5 years thai driving's license(not the temporary 1 year license).

If i remember this right, was either 6 months or 1 year before a person has to convert it by basically doing both the theory and pratical tests in full again.

And what about the one for the motorcycle, same thing applies too i guess??

Thank you :)

I'm 99% sure it's 1 year, full details are on the DVLC (is it even still called that) website. And yes, no simple conversion from a Thai licence, full theory and practical tests required (probably a good thing).

Let's try this in Motoring, I'm sure someone will have definitive answers and links.

You can drive/ride car or motorcycle on your Thai 5 licence in the UK, on problem for 12 months from the date you arrive.

see DVLA website nogb licence

Edited by Dave8237

As a visitor you can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain.

So does that means that one can just get "unlimited" 12 months periods, as long as it get out in time?

And there is also a specific amount of time to stay out to "reset the clock" ???

It sounds a bit as the (former) thai visa's run if it works that way.

Thank you all, so far your infos have been brilliant :)

This has come up from time to time and a 5 year car Thai licence is as said OK for up to year in UK.

If you go out before the 1 year as long as you don't go back within the same year you will have 1 year again.

Make sure the insurance company of the vehicle covering it will accept you driving with a Thai licence they should do but still make sure they know.

There seems confusion with riding motorcycles I read somewhere that the UK DVLC will not let you ride a motorcycle above 125cc and you need a provisional licence with 'L' plate to ride one, they may of changed dunno for sure but whatever you do check with DVLC first, you don't want to take things for granted just because you have read it here and end up in dodo. smile.png

If you go out before the 1 year as long as you don't go back within the same year you will have 1 year again.

Hold on, does that means that if you get out by 31st of December you will be okay for another year on the first day of the new year or that there must to be a gap of 365 days in between?

Hold on, does that means that if you get out by 31st of December you will be okay for another year on the first day of the new year or that there must to be a gap of 365 days in between?

The date you get into the UK, from that date you get up to 365 days to drive on the Thai licence.

As I understand it, it is a 1 year period that's why I said best to check it out.

If you go out and come back again within that year dunno maybe you would only find that out by asking someone at the UK DVLC or when something happened while driving and the police were involved.

Edited by Kwasaki

No, fortunately, a Thai "driving licence" is not valid in EU or UK. But, the problem is, Thais can get an international driving licence and then drive a car abroad like in Thailand. Funny, isn't it ?

Not only Thais, Farangs also can obtain a Thai International Driving Permit, which is valid in the UK, but i.e. not in Germany or Vietnam.

I know a Thai bird who has been driving on a Thai license in the UK for about 5 years. If she has a prang I think she will have a BIG problem..sad.png

Problems! No driving licence. Driving unaccompanied. No 'L' Plates. No insurance, and possibly charges resulting from the inaccuracy of any application made for insurance for the vehicle. Probably make a Traffic cop's day.
And the car crusher, since you will loose the car as well as having a fine and possibly a prison sentence.

No, fortunately, a Thai "driving licence" is not valid in EU or UK. But, the problem is, Thais can get an international driving licence and then drive a car abroad like in Thailand. Funny, isn't it ?

A full Thai DL, so the 5 year one, is valid in the UK and EU.

If you have other information , please post the source.

• Like 1

Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence

1. 1Are you:
    a visitor to Great Britain?

Change this answer

2. 2Where was your licence issued?
    Any other country

Change this answer

You can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)

If you’ve got a bus or lorry licence you can only drive buses or lorries that are registered outside Great Britain if you’ve actually driven the vehicle into Great Britain yourself.

You get one 12 month period when you can drive on your Thai licence. Beyond that you will not get insurance without liking on the application and to drive without insurance is illegal.

Your insurance premium will probably be higher on a foreign licence as well.

There are those you do lie and continue driving for years however if they have an accident they are in deep shit!

My wife wanted to do that and I did not let her. Better to make her learn to drive properly and pass the UK test.

When I go back to visit the UK I rent a car using my Thai License. No problems with the rental company and I think it also helps with speeding tickets.

Chris

You will hardly be issued a speeding ticket by a cop on the roads in the UK. Instead, the car rental company will get one through the mail and your credit card will be charged with the fine.

When I go back to visit the UK I rent a car using my Thai License. No problems with the rental company and I think it also helps with speeding tickets.

Chris

You will hardly be issued a speeding ticket by a cop on the roads in the UK. Instead, the car rental company will get one through the mail and your credit card will be charged with the fine.

... AND an 'administration fee' by the rental company. In my case, another £30... :-(

Having made enquiries to eight hire companies in the UK I would advise the following from the replies I received:-

1. Some companies and I could dig out the names said they won't accept it.

2. Some that said they would accept it also wanted an IDP which is easy to get at Chaeng Wattana but not many other places if any.

I suggest checking with a company before you go. I know many TVers have hired in the UK but although I have asked the question previously they never quoted the companies.

The legality of driving is as above but if you need to hire then you also need to consider the hirers requirements or rules.

Having made enquiries to eight hire companies in the UK I would advise the following from the replies I received:-

1. Some companies and I could dig out the names said they won't accept it.

2. Some that said they would accept it also wanted an IDP which is easy to get at Chaeng Wattana but not many other places if any.

I suggest checking with a company before you go. I know many TVers have hired in the UK but although I have asked the question previously they never quoted the companies.

The legality of driving is as above but if you need to hire then you also need to consider the hirers requirements or rules.

I was told by Kendall car rental (ash) that I didn't need an IDP (but got one anyway) on hiring they weren't interested in it. I got the IDP at my local transport office in Nakhon Pathom. I have the newer license that has English script and a photo. I also no longer have a UK license (expired)

The information I gave earlier was off my works site as I work for DVLA, regarding an expired licence, everyone had to renew their licence every 10 years so unless its age related you still be able to get a new one, as long as you have an address in UK also

The information I gave earlier was off my works site as I work for DVLA, regarding an expired licence, everyone had to renew their licence every 10 years so unless its age related you still be able to get a new one, as long as you have an address in UK also

Now that's for residents .. what about non residents? No address in UK!

The license does not expire, the picture does, who do you say you work for!

And it's easy to renew using the government gateway, as long as you have a UK passport, they can copy the picture from that - a UK address is required for the license to be mailed, I did the above myself about a year ago.

Edited by chiang mai

I know a Thai bird who has been driving on a Thai license in the UK for about 5 years. If she has a prang I think she will have a BIG problem..sad.png

You mean to tell me a she has has been driving for 5 years without a prang?

They usually last about a week here.

A week ?! Nice to hear about a new record ;-)

• Like 1

INF38: 'You can drive any small vehicle (eg car or motorcycle) listed on your full and valid licence for 12 months from when you last entered Great Britain (GB)'.

You can only convert it as a resident of GB; ie, for licence purposes: a permanent address in which you have lived for at least 185 days.