Do I REALLY need to re-format?

p_brownstone

No there is no need to format.

You can do a repair install, here is a step by step guide for a Windows 7 repair install. This is probably better because it will remove any mailware installed by your computer guy. But as " thedemon " you will most likely have to call MS when you try to activate it. When MS asks just tell them you replaced the motherboard.

I would not let someone install an OS for me. But I've found that most people asking for help on this forum, prefer the taking of half measures.

If you really can't be bothered to do install for yourself, you can reset the activation system, using MBRRegenerator

The options should be set thus: MBRv4.5.jpg

As RichCor has suggested, just swapping the key won't be enough if they have installed a software hack. You certainly don't need any dodgy tools just to swap a key. You can do it via the Operating System interface.

Either way, you should use the software provided above.

This utility may well be fine. I've never heard of it so can't say one way or the other.

However, it should be noted that if the installation was done with UEFI and GPT, which being a new build, it may well be. this at best won't work and at worst will render the installation unbootable.

Is this really the only way to replace the bootleg Win 7 OS - is there no way I can somehow just install the genuine OS on top of the bootleg version??

Easy to do. Go to Microsoft's website...with your code key, download the latest version.

It's easier if you delete the cracked version...not necessary, but much easier.

Edited by MisterStretch

No there is no need to format.

You can do a repair install, here is a step by step guide for a Windows 7 repair install. This is probably better because it will remove any mailware installed by your computer guy. But as " thedemon " you will most likely have to call MS when you try to activate it. When MS asks just tell them you replaced the motherboard.

Since a Repair Install/Upgrade will leave you programs and files intact, how can you claim that it will remove any Malware?

This is no different from just resetting the activation system, only a lot more troublesome.

Just another 'cut and paste' and hope for the best solution.

The OP needs to run a destructive install. But in the absence of that, he can use the tool to clear out any modified activation files and to utilise legitimate activation.

bendejo, on 16 Oct 2014 - 04:13, said:

Yep, reformat and reinstall. If not, whenever you have a problem with the system you'll have to consider if it has something to do with your dodgy installation.

Something I suggest to everyone running Windows is to partition your hard drive. Keep the primary partition for the Windows installation (50Gb should be enough, but go to 100Gb if you're not very tech oriented and want to never have to think about it again). Keep the rest of the disk as the place for your own files (Word files, Excel files, pics, anything. This way, if Windows goes sideways and you have to reinstall again, it will only affect your WIn stuff and installed programs, your data will survive (note: a hard disk crash is another story altogether). You'll have to do a little homework to figure it out, but it isn't that difficult, and there's lots of tools out there to make it easy, some of them are free. By the time you figure it out you may decide to go with multiple data partitions.

Or better still a second hard drive/SSD, after all, they are cheap, and let's not forget, an external HDD/SDD for backup. Also another very good idea is to make regular disk images, saves a lot of time re-installing.

Or even better, install a second hard drive for your data and also have a separate partition on the first hard drive to keep your backups. That way you are protected against a hard disk failure too.

I gave up with disk images after the first time I needed one, it wouldn't restore properly.

My advice is 2 hard drives with backups on a separate drive to the data then use System Restore to protect your windows installation in case you accidentally install some malware. If Windows gets screwed, reinstall it.

Oh - and put your backups into a zip file and date it so you have many copies. Chances are that if some data got corrupted, you have been backing up the corrupted one for a while.

Is this really the only way to replace the bootleg Win 7 OS - is there no way I can somehow just install the genuine OS on top of the bootleg version??

Easy to do. Go to Microsoft's website...with your code key, download the latest version.

It's easier if you delete the cracked version...not necessary, but much easier.

Too many cooks...writing a load of nonsense.

Really? I have a motherboard replaced on my computer, took my product key to Microsoft's website, downloaded a new copy...and Bob's your uncle.

On another computer, had the hard drive replaced, went to Microsoft's website with my product key and downloaded a new copy...and Bob's your uncle again.

Too many cooks? Obviously you are one of those that can't boil water without burning it.

Don't deride actual experience in these matters.

Oh look: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 U (media refresh) from Digital River. No product key needed to download.

Now perhaps you can show me the link to the Microsoft website where the OP can download Windows 7 using his product key.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Open command prompt(Run As Administrator).

slmgr -ipk productkey

Assuming my memory is up to scratch. If not ipk maybe ilc, one is key and one is manufacturers certificate.

But.... as stated, you must remove any bootloaders or cracks first. Reinstall is safest.

Software Licensing Management Tool. Windows Activation and Key Management Service (KMS) Syntax and switches/keys

Well spotted jiujitsu.

And anotheroneamerican, why would people bother doing that? Whats wrong with a bit of slic, good enough for dell, hp, asus etc, good enough for me.

May be as good as (identical) to the real thing, yet every Thai shop prefers virus filled cracks and stares blankly when asked.

A Bunch of Bickering Boffin Banter posts have been removed.

There have been several posts offering advice, so to avoid further flames & bickering I'll close this thread.

If the OP wishes further input on this topic, he can contact myself or another member of the moderating team to request it be re-opened.

//CLOSED//